She's a BURNER!

A quart every 1,000 miles ... 4 times less than some $200,000 cars with 5,000 miles on them.

If the engine is running well and you're
not seeing a lot of smoke , i would lean toward valve seals , maybe stuck rings .

This is what i would do, two quarts of oil one quart diesel fuel let it idle for 45 minutes to an hour drain and fill with max life or any other high mileage oil if this doesn't help i would just live with it.

Caution if its really sludged up be careful using this method.

If you live in a state that doesn't test emissions: P0420 doesn't exist, it can't hurt you.

If you live in a state that just plugs into an OBD port (DC, MD, Northern VA, etc): P0420 still doesn't exist, still can't hurt you.

If you live in a state that uses a tailpipe sniffer and does a visual inspection: You will never financially recover from P0420.
Oh my god, I’d love to live in one of those states! To never have to worry about a check engine light or drive ability issue? That would have its benefits for sure.

Judging by their avatar, I'm gonna say OP lives in an OBD check state.
Yeah NH is one of the toughest states. They check your brakes, pull the wheels (in some places), can’t tint the front windows, they can fail you for body rust, OBD readiness failure, codes, etc. It can be a little bit of a pain.

15w-40, PCV delete, try an ounce of kerosene down the spark plug holes as a soak to free stuck rings, and be thankful it runs.

why would you want to tint your "front" windows, I despise tinted period but front tinted windows, that just sounds ridiculous.
I don’t know but a lot of people do it. Uniform look maybe? Front/back. Maybe a slightly lighter tint in the front? Or let’s say you have a two door sports car, people will sometimes tint those windows, no?

Oh my god, I’d love to live in one of those states! To never have to worry about a check engine light or drive ability issue? That would have its benefits for sure.
Out here in the "boonies" (hardly) of Virginia there's not even a semblance of emissions testing or a visual inspection. It helps to know the guy that does your inspections too.

I don't expect it to last much longer but I'm guessing we'll have electric cars before emissions testing works its way south from the DC area.

You think that now, but I've seen lots of cars on the road in Indiana that really probably shouldn't be allowed on the road anymore.

You think that now, but I've seen lots of cars on the road in Indiana that really probably shouldn't be allowed on the road anymore.
We get them here too. Just yesterday I followed a pickup that was crabwalking so badly it was sticking out into the adjacent lane. Then you get the cars riding on two or three donut tires, then the ones whose suspension is bouncing/shaking so badly you wonder how they can hold the wheel straight.

I'll still take my no safety & emissions testing any day of the week. I've lived in states that had them and it's a total racket. I have a feeling the people in states with safety/emissions testing will still do what they gotta do to get the work, they'll just do it with expired / fake tags since they can't pass the inspection.

Idk I'll still take it over a state like California (which I lived there for a little under a year). Here in Ok we don't do any of that, and I'm thankful.

Farm & Barn 10/40 sale is $1.00 qt. rebuild the pvc...run TC-W3 640:1 check back in a quarter.

We get them here too. Just yesterday I followed a pickup that was crabwalking so badly it was sticking out into the adjacent lane. Then you get the cars riding on two or three donut tires, then the ones whose suspension is bouncing/shaking so badly you wonder how they can hold the wheel straight.

I'll still take my no safety & emissions testing any day of the week. I've lived in states that had them and it's a total racket. I have a feeling the people in states with safety/emissions testing will still do what they gotta do to get the work, they'll just do it with expired / fake tags since they can't pass the inspection.
I don’t think a lot of techs enjoy failing cars for emissions, but suspension, brakes, etc? Yeah, that’s a different story.

But when someone fails because of an evap leak, it’s not something that is always fun. Especially in the rust belt. You could have a pin hole in your filler tube, or a pin hole in your tank (and some tanks are real hard to replace), you could have a leaking fuel pump seal, or evap vent solenoid stuck open, purge solenoid stuck. It becomes a pain. Or let’s say you have a misfire and it’s not something simple, no one is going to willingly pay you to chase a bad ground that you spent half a day searching for/testing. And then the customer is never going to forget how you not only failed them, but charged them x amount of hours to diagnose and fix the problem. It’s bad for business.

In Massachusetts the best thing an inspection station can hope for is for it to pass - or fail due to tires, brakes or suspension. IMO.

When I lived in Missouri, both years I had to renew my pickup (late model year Nissan) I failed the safety inspection over something bogus. First time they claimed a bad front axle shaft, told me the boot was leaking grease and needed replaced for $300. I had just changed my transmission fluid days earlier and spilled fluid down there. Had to go to a different shop to pass. The next year (at a different shop no less) it was something different but equally stupid (forget what it was) that also required a second shop to pass. Wonder how many shops line their pockets with these inspections? Needless to say it left a very sour taste in my mouth toward inspections and mechanics in general.

Last edited:
It’s hard finding a good shop. Sometimes I wonder if I need to flip more work to a shop so as to build a relationship that might carry with time.

In all my years I've been fortunate enough to never have oil burner cars. As some here have stated, dealers claim burning a quart per 1,000 miles is normal. I'd be very disappointed with a car that goes through that much oil. Well, I wouldn't happy with a quart per 2,000 miles either. I think the responders have made great suggestions to follow up with. But, I'm not driving a $600 car either.

Thank you all for excellent advice. First thing I'll do is continue with MaxLife as I have 2 quarts remaining of the 5 gal jug. Oil was changed but I left the filter on (Fram Tough Guard good for for 15k; has 8k on it now).

Back