Severed Comcast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hatt
TV is like processed food. When you cut it out, you don't miss it.

this guy gets it.

I haven't had cable in eight years. Most of the video entertainment I get is via YouTube or found elsewhere online. If there is a tv show I really want to watch it is not difficult to find it somewhere on the net. The only thing I really miss about cable ti being able to watch Giants games in HD but that's literally it.

A few years after cutting tv out of your life you start to view things in the world very differently. My outlook on life and politics, world events etc have all changed

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high

Not at my age!

I happen to like news both local & world. And I happen to like educational programming. One channel in particular, The Smithsonian channel.

I also like to be intertained later at night watching movies made back in the 40's & 50's.

All of the above can be found streaming live online for free.

Please inform me where I can stream FOX news, FOX business, and get all the current live NASCAR races?

if you have a broadband net connection all of those are available online. The methods used to view them can be a bit.......interesting but it is very doable.

I don't even have a home net connection I just tether my phones connection to my pc or tablet and I'm off and running.

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: JTK
Yeah, there's no screaming deal in 'breaking the bundle' with TWC. I hate it, but I pay $174 for TV with DVR, internet and land line. Just interwebs would probably land in the $70/mo range.

I think the best you will be able to do is 80.50 including tax. You (and me) are still getting raped. But in my area and yours they have a monopoly. And they know it. If FIOS were in the 'hood it would be 25 bucks less.

Yes-any city where they (Comcast) has basically a monopoly the Internet is 80.00. Its often the best you can do.

Hey guys, I'm an old man,73 to be exact, barely able to conquer the internet, can't even figer out how to post pictures on web sites.

I like what I got, like watching FOX news & business, like watching Blue Bloods, and some of the NCIS shows, like watching live NASCAR.

Remember it's a whole different world when one walks with a walker or has their wife push them around in a wheel chair.

Enjoy being young while you can, I never thought it would be like this either. Survived cancer, now am diabetic with failing kidneys.

I'm fully able to afford the extra $50 bucks that Comcast charges me for TV with DVR, Internet & Telephone service.

Not at my age!

I happen to like news both local & world. And I happen to like educational programming. One channel in particular, The Smithsonian channel.

I also like to be intertained later at night watching movies made back in the 40's & 50's.
I read news. Watching video takes too long. I can read an article in 30 seconds vs 3-4 minutes for the video story. If it's something that needs the visual I can always watch the video. Watching news channels for hours to get the news isn't for me. I get two different PBS stations. Each of those stations have 4 channels. I have many channels that play old movies and TV shows. Just watched "Branded" the other day. The Smithsonian Channel has a free app on Roku. Looks like tons of programming.

Here are the channels I can get.

I don't read newspapers either. By the time it's in the paper it's old news. I do get the paper from my neighbors on occasion. Chimney starters don't run on hope.

Last week my house was without internet for a week and I end up letting kids watch PBS kids on my phone's data plan. It works ok, but it let me realize how little internet I really need, and for kids to watch their show there's always antenna and library DVDs.

Downgrade from 24mbps to a 6, paying $40 / mo, so far so good. Now if a new neighbor moves in a want to split internet 2 ways then it'll be even better...

Not at my age!

All of the above can be found streaming live online for free.

Please inform me where I can stream FOX news, FOX business, and get all the current live NASCAR races?

You did not mention this in your quoted post.

You did not mention this in your quoted post.

Once again, I'm old and think slow, just think what you've got to look forward to! LOL

I don't read newspapers either. By the time it's in the paper it's old news. I do get the paper from my neighbors on occasion. Chimney starters don't run on hope.

It's true the newspapers are usually a day behind...but in today's very short limited attention time span that news needs to cater to, you usually get a more in-depth look at the news in a newspaper.

I got the chance to talk to a TDS Telecom rep today, to see what the cheapest plan I could get was. $100/month for fiber, as they only do a bundle now. They tried to sell me on the notion that it was the same cost as my current plan ($76 for DSL and basic phone), but the rep let slip at one point that was $15 or 20 for taxes--which took their bundled plan from $75 up to that $100/month.

Then they had the audacity to tell me that a $50 connection charge would be applied if I went with that basic plan! Even though I have the stinking fiber modem in my house already!

No incentive to change, although I have noticed more lags of late.

I also asked if they knew when they would drop POTS, and they said they don't have plans. Yet. But it'll eventually happen.

frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back