Servicing electric drills?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
My old 7A Milwaukee Magnum drill still works like a champ. I've used it countless times with some decently heavy stuff I probably shouldn't have, like lots of 3.5" holes using a hole saw. Tons of other smaller things too.

It spins smooth, runs strong, but I've noticed that it gets hot pretty quick (granted a 3.5" hole saw is a pretty big load for it), and the front gearbox, while smooth, seems a little noisy.

I figure it might be smart to try to service it - at least lube up the bearings and gearbox a bit and check the brushes.

Mine is made in the USA - I'm sure the newer ones are Chinesium. So I'd like to ensure I keep this one in top shape.
Does anyone do much in terms of service on their drills?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Does anyone do much in terms of service on their drills?

Yes. Just serviced a loud-running Hitachi the other day; had nothing more than a light smear of lithium. Cleaned that off, and replaced with Deere Corn Head Grease. Runs great!

Sure.
Clean old grease and add new grease.
Those have replaceable brushes, right? Could inspect, maybe run a wood toothpick through the gaps in the armature. Hit it with a small amount of electronic parts cleaner, in a way that doesn't drive the runoff into the case.

My Makita hi-speed drill used to get hot at the gearbox; new grease helped a lot.

I think I might feel how the bearings feel.

More than once, on power tools, I have had motor bearings go bad.
Repair has normally been inexpensive and easy. Pull off the old bearings and take them to a bearing supplier for replacments.

If the bearing ceases, and spins, a permanent repair can be difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back