Cordless impact wrench

Having owned several brands of impacts over the years, I can attest to the suggestion to buy a major brand with more power than you think you will need, especially if this is the starting point for a 18/20V platform. The Dewalt and Milwaukee mid torque 1/2" units will be plenty for all but the most stubborn fasteners, and AFAIK these battery platforms are the longest lasting.

That said, I currently have numerous tools in the Ryobi 18V platform and have yet to see them fail. The older 3/8" and 1/2" impacts still take off 100+ lb ft lug nut with ease. But I am not a pro, so they don't get used all that often and battery durability is not an issue.

New Makita XWT14 on the right (these are my shop tools, most of my cordless tools are at home).

I am all in on Makita 18v. This particular works wonderfully. I‘ve got shop air, and some great air impacts, but this thing is just so convenient!

F349E11E-C4BE-4A58-82A5-5DE9E3DE3693.jpeg

New Makita XWT14 on the right (these are my shop tools, most of my cordless tools are at home).

I am all in on Makita 18v. This particular works wonderfully. I‘ve got shop air, and some great air impacts, but this thing is just so convenient!

View attachment 119050
I put that middle 1/4" impact to the test over the spring and summer sheetrocking my basement ceiling and garage bump out, along with building an enclosure/shelf in the garage. It's a small powerful and very useful tool.

Didn't project farm test these reciently?

Had to google project farm, saw his vids thanks for the suggestion.

Decided to get the 2962 fuel tool only. Wife not going to be happy haha. The ryobi did intrigue me, but I agree that I didn't want to get another battery system. As a novice/diy, I hope I get to use this to the full capacity it's intended to.

My favorites... I also have the Fuel 3/8 ratchet; almost wish I had the smaller one because it is so strong. Kinda funny, I don't use it much. The Makita impact (thanks for the recommendation @Trav) makes brake job disassembly a snap. The little Milwaukee impact driver makes little stuff work a breeze; just watch assembly. Don't ask me how I know...
1664563229840.jpg

Decided to get the 2962 fuel tool only. Wife not going to be happy haha. The ryobi did intrigue me, but I agree that I didn't want to get another battery system. As a novice/diy, I hope I get to use this to the full capacity it's intended to.
Definitely overkill but it will serve you well. It will be tough to fit that big of a tool into some tighter spaces but that’s just an excuse to buy a stubby later on. :)

Edit: Never mind that’s the newer generation mid torque. It is a nice small unit that will be easy to use in tight spaces. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Great choice, never fear lugs again!

Having owned several brands of impacts over the years, I can attest to the suggestion to buy a major brand with more power than you think you will need, especially if this is the starting point for a 18/20V platform. The Dewalt and Milwaukee mid torque 1/2" units will be plenty for all but the most stubborn fasteners, and AFAIK these battery platforms are the longest lasting.

That said, I currently have numerous tools in the Ryobi 18V platform and have yet to see them fail. The older 3/8" and 1/2" impacts still take off 100+ lb ft lug nut with ease. But I am not a pro, so they don't get used all that often and battery durability is not an issue.
I have come across rusted lug nuts on a flat bed trailer that needed the Milwaukee M18 hi-torque impact. Actually it was PB Blaster then impact, no-go. Wait a day, more PB Blaster then impact. Took a few days. But I have snapped studs and lug bolts in the past and waiting a few days while PB Blaster does it's thing is the better way to handle it.

The hi-torque is just a little more $$ and a little heavier.

Great choice, never fear lugs again!
Heh I don't all of my vehicles are 78-80ft lb. But I have to replace all struts on my Subaru soon, and an exhaust leak. I should be ready for future work.

My dad has scrap 6x6 lumber so I mess around at his place, driving 8in lag bolts through no problem lol.

I have come across rusted lug nuts on a flat bed trailer that needed the Milwaukee M18 hi-torque impact. Actually it was PB Blaster then impact, no-go. Wait a day, more PB Blaster then impact. Took a few days. But I have snapped studs and lug bolts in the past and waiting a few days while PB Blaster does it's thing is the better way to handle it.

The hi-torque is just a little more $$ and a little heavier.
The 2962 (including boot) is 3lbs 11.6oz
20221002_092948.jpg

The 2767 (including boot) is 6lbs 5.3oz
20221002_092921.jpg

That's a huge difference in-hand

The 2767 is considerably longer
20221002_092905.jpg

and noticeably wider
20221002_092848.jpg

I wouldn't want to be without either one but if I could only choose one it'd be the 2962 and I'd go old school leverage for stubborn fasteners. Of course if one tends to work primarily on larger stuff like heavy equipment or MDT/OTR trucks then the needs change....

For most cars and light trucks the 2962 is the "just right" mix of size and power

I would like to get a good Dewalt impact. I have a small one for lighter jobs but would like a 1/2" drive one for the larger ones. I have several 20 volt Dewalt products so I have quite a few batteries and chargers.
Me too!
l wish they would close out the DCF899 bare tool cheap.

I got tired of waiting for a good price on the DeWalt DCF 899b
Went ahead and got the new Ridgid high torque R86212 with 2, 4ah batteries and charger, for $229.00
Haven't got to use it yet though.
Said to be a nice impact though.

I got tired of waiting for a good price on the DeWalt DCF 899b
Went ahead and got the new Ridgid high torque R86212 with 2, 4ah batteries and charger, for $229.00
Haven't got to use it yet though.
Said to be a nice impact though.
That’s a big, heavy impact.

I am certain that it will have the torque to handle any situation, but it’s a lot to use.

I chose a much smaller size for normal use (lug bolts) and have the beast air impact as backup.

Back