Which free Makita tool to get?

JHZR2

Staff member
My wife wants a few more Makita batteries, so I’m going to grab the HD $199 deal before it ends. It gives me a free tool:

3BD13226-3440-4D1B-843F-40B4C1AACE01.jpeg

I own a 36v Makita circular saw and blower. I also own their angle grinder. I have a cordless dewalt oscillating tool, but I’d consider the Makita I guess.

So it’s between the jigsaw (have a nice Bosch corded one), recipro saw (have a US made milwaukee corded), ratchet (have two Milwaukee m12), and the jigsaw. I don’t want a third battery…

Jigsaw is the most expensive at MSRP fwiw… I’d probably use the angle grinder or oscillating tool the most…. The ratchet looks terribly bulky. Recipro saw could be hanfy, but I have a little 12v one that takes sawzall blades for small jobs. I don’t steal catalytic converters so can’t really think of a job where I wouldn’t just pull my corded one…

What would you take and why?

Based on slickdeals if the order gives you separate prices on them at checkout (not bundle)
they would buy the most expensive one(jigsaw) and return or cancel it.. because it prorates the prices between the items.
Its been going on forever. I got 4 ryobi 4ah batteries for $62.. and I didnt even have to return anything just canceled the belt sander.
Dont cry for homedepot they know about this and leave the loophole open.

1704126041921.png

The recip, because I dont have one (a battery one anyway) and it's great for limbing.

I've got everything else.

Doesn't sound like you need any of the tools listed ...... so I would get the Recip and sell it .

I’d get the saw that you have, then it’s all the same battery. Failing that, just get the extra battery. Anything else is something you don’t need, don’t want, and would “need” to sell.

Not sure why an extra battery would be a hindrance, I guess since they tend to age out, with light usage it’s of no gain.

Is there a major gain here by buying the kit versus just buying the one required battery? Do you think you’d be ahead by buying the kit and selling the piece(s) that you don’t need?

I’d get the saw that you have, then it’s all the same battery. Failing that, just get the extra battery. Anything else is something you don’t need, don’t want, and would “need” to sell.

Not sure why an extra battery would be a hindrance, I guess since they tend to age out, with light usage it’s of no gain.

Is there a major gain here by buying the kit versus just buying the one required battery? Do you think you’d be ahead by buying the kit and selling the piece(s) that you don’t need?
The saw I have is the 36v version - much stronger (and heavier, I guess).

I don’t need three batteries because we’re already getting high capacity batteries. They’re for our makita stick vacuums. They last a few days of our use.

So to have three when so have other tools that often have unused batteries is too many. My wife asked to have “her” batteries, so that’s fine.

But another battery that will degrade with age is just a step too far. A durable good that fits the battery system is fine by me.

If they had a drill or impact driver I’d probably take that. I already have the subcompact makita drill/driver set and the higher end makita impact driver… but you can’t have too many imo…. Too bad they don’t have a mid torque impact gun as a free tool…

My wife wants a few more Makita batteries, so I’m going to grab the HD $199 deal before it ends. It gives me a free tool:

View attachment 195910

I own a 36v Makita circular saw and blower. I also own their angle grinder. I have a cordless dewalt oscillating tool, but I’d consider the Makita I guess.

So it’s between the jigsaw (have a nice Bosch corded one), recipro saw (have a US made milwaukee corded), ratchet (have two Milwaukee m12), and the jigsaw. I don’t want a third battery…

Jigsaw is the most expensive at MSRP fwiw… I’d probably use the angle grinder or oscillating tool the most…. The ratchet looks terribly bulky. Recipro saw could be hanfy, but I have a little 12v one that takes sawzall blades for small jobs. I don’t steal catalytic converters so can’t really think of a job where I wouldn’t just pull my corded one…

What would you take and why?
That’s a tough one it would be a toss up between the grinder and multi tool.

I have all of those, except the ratchet (I have two Milwaukee 12V, much better tools) and the circular saw. Skip the ratchet.

The Jig Saw is convenient, nice tool, but doesn’t do anything my corded one can’t do.

I’ve got three other circular saws, again, the cordless doesn’t do anything the corded ones can’t.

First choice is the oscillating multi-tool. For lots of odd jobs, and places with difficult access, it is the best. The ability to plunge cut is unique to the tool, and very handy in many home and auto repairs.

Next would be the cordless recip - I know you’ve got one, but the limbing ability with the 18v makes it very useful. I can climb a tree (or ladder) with this tool, and safely cut a tree branch. No cords, no chainsaw, and the 18v with a proper blade makes short work of pruning.

The angle grinder would be my next choice. I’ve got the X-lock - and it is so convenient. It’s just a joy to use, and it’s really nice to be able to work under the car without a cord. I like this tool. No new capability, but so much nicer to use.

I’ve got about 25 of the 18v batteries and a dozen or more 18v tools. Makita is a great system.

That multi tool is a great tool for remodeling. But if your a home owner- craftsman, that jig saw with a selection of blades will do a lot of things very good

That multi tool is a great tool for remodeling. But if your a home owner- craftsman, that jig saw with a selection of blades will do a lot of things very good
I have a fein corded and DeWalt cordless multi tool. And a nice Bosch jigsaw.

I ended up finding a pair of 5Ah batteries I forgot about from another tool purchase, and gave them as the battery gift. She didn’t know otherwise. It’s not like some batteries was the exciting gift she wanted. So it was all good.

Back