Has the Makita brushless cogging/quality issues been fixed yet

I am in the market for a 18 volt kit $675 area, where you get 5 tools and 2 batterys
and a charger. Makita and Millwakee are top in the running. I use Makita at work but they are the brush type. Though different tests I saw a couple of years ago the tester who was in industry said Milwaukees are a bit more powerful, but the Makita has better battery quality, and long term if you are a home owner and don't use your tools to the max, Makita batterys will not need to be replace as early as the Milwaukee batterys will need to be to. So Makita's are a hair cheaper for the same tools and if that guy is right the batterys will last me longer too. Win win.

My big concern is the problem I was reading about a couple years ago about brushless cogging and overall tool drive quality they were having back then. Does anyone know if that is fixed?

I found a couple of brushed kits that may work for me and I get an extra tool or two for the same price. It just is not not worth the risk and it is cheaper yet.

On what tool, what motor?

I have tools from a few different manufacturers, including makita. Ive heavily used a 36v blower and 36v circular saw, as well as a number of 18v tools. We use a brushed 18v vacuum in our house daily. No issues with any of them....

A site I started to look at had mostly brushless Makita's, so I thought they were ending their brush motor/cheaper tools. After posting this, I then looked at Makita's own site and found they still have the brushed motors. I have these at work and after 5 years of industrial use I had to change the brushes once on the drill, no big deal. I am going with the brushed version because it is "old reliable" as home tools I know I will never need brushes. This will be my last large set of cordless as I am 58. I will be selling my set of 10 year old Bosch cordless kit Ni-Cad's with 5 working batteries. If I sell it now the whole kit has an est. value of about $275 (I hope) to put toward the new kit.

I got my first Makita cordless/brushless tools about 6 years ago and they’re still going strong. I run Makita and DeWalt most of the time, while they’re more expensive, the Makita tools feel better to use and are better built IMO.

I would be very surprised if Makita put on the market a defective brushless motor. Don’t believe it.

Most of my cordless tools are Makita, a mix of brush and brushless... no issues the OP speaks of. The only issue I had was on a brushed drill, the chuck got very wobbly after two years or so of use.. This was one of their lower-end models in a kit and I was using it for a lot during a reno, spade bits, hole saws (whatever fit in the chuck).

They replaced the gearbox and chuck... I ended up upgrading to a higher-end Makita drill with all-metal gearbox and its held up beautifully. A bit heavier, but brushless and tough.

I’d have to call BS on that one. Take it from a guy who uses cordless tools almost every day as a contractor. I just happen to have Milwaukee 18v and Makita 12v tools. You’ll never notice the difference between these brands in the same voltage. They’re both fantastic tools and it would take a lot of extremely hard use to see any real difference. I’ve found if you read enough reviews, you just get confused. Almost all of the major brands of brushless tools are good. I wouldn’t obsess over the difference.

Back