Makita oil leak

I hadn't used my corded Makita 6952 impact driver for couple of years ... went to use it and there was a little puddle of oil (light lime color) in the box under the motor vent holes.

Love this tool but have other cordless drivers so it's sitting there until I have to build a new deck ... and no I'm not going to sell it. lol It's the kind that you can easily and quickly replace the brushes if needed.

Tool wasn't kept in a hot place. Maybe 85F max.
Curious if I need to open and grease? Is the grease melting or what? Have you seen this?

Thanks!

Is this one of the hydraulic impulse drivers? I didn't think they made a corded version but maybe they do? AFAIK Makita pioneered the tech

edit: apologies it occurred to me I could just search the model # you provided and I see it doesn't look like a hydraulic impulse

It's not hydraulic just a simple 1/ 4" Hex driver.

FEATURES
  • Maximum torque 88.5 ft.lbs. (1,062 in./lbs.)
  • Variable speed trigger (0 - 3,200 RPM) for maximum control
  • Dual ball bearings for longer tool life
  • 2.8 AMP motor for high performance (3,100 IPM)
  • Reverse switch, located near the trigger, ensures easy one-handed operation
  • Lightweight cast aluminum gear housing for durability
  • 1/4" hex bit shank for fast bit changes
  • Ergonomically designed handle for comfortable operation
  • Externally accessible brushes for easy inspection and replacement
  • Compact length (9"); Lightweight (2.9 lbs.)

Take it apart and clean out the old grease. Re-grease with Super Lube 21030. They got the grease at Harbor Freight.

Take it apart and clean out the old grease. Re-grease with Super Lube 21030. They got the grease at Harbor Freight.

I've never taken apart a drill or driver or never had to ...
Need to YouTube where to lube. I guess the leak may have come from the Dual ball bearings (post #3). Not sure if I they are sealed or not. I guess once taken apart, I may be able to see. I may also call Makita see what they say. Not that I need it but maybe I shouldn't use it just in case a required grease is missing from somewhere!

I've never taken apart a drill or driver or never had to ...
It's a very satisfying experience. You're not totally disassembling it. You're just splitting the case in half. Make sure you pay attention to how the power cord and trigger switch wires are routed as you splitting the case in half. Don't pinch the wires when you go to reassemble the case.

It seems many tools do this and go on with no issues. I have seen it with corded and cordless when the tool was left for a longer time, it is normal some oil from the grease separates, it takes almost nothing to cause a large looking stain on cardboard. The bearings are sealed so my guess is a small amount migrated out of the gear case, no big deal.

I checked the short 6 pages of instruction manual that came with the box and it says "Follow instructions for lubricating and changing accessories."

There are no instructions anywhere and I even downloaded the 3 .pdf documents from Makita and searched and there are no lube instructions!

On the other hand, I learned that I have to "Stay alert" and "Dress properly". I think I used it in my shorts a few summer ago but it was hot and I have no AC. Hopefully Makita will understand! :ROFLMAO:

I've had the same thing happen with a number of tools of various brands.

I think Makita loves to grease stuff.

I had another thread that my new Makita cordless tool had grease on the battery terminals. I assume dielectric grease. Never seen that with any of my other cordless tools or gadgets ... and now this leak.

I have several old corded stuff and had never seen any leak or grease. I had a little puddle of oil in it's plastic case. Maybe 6-10 drops.
Sounds like it's ok based on what @Trav is saying. If I have some free time and/or bored, I may take a peek inside and see what's going on just out of curiosity! The stupid instruction manual says lube it but that's it. Maybe that's a Chinese translation error for "use it". lol

Back