Makita Cordless Inflator; Dishonest People make me mad!

Once you go cordless, you are spoiled. I have a Makita impact and 2 drivers so I kinda wanted an inflator.
So I found a Makita DMP181ZX 18V LXT® Lithium-Ion Cordless High-Pressure Inflator ($154 tool only) on Amazon that was returned so it was $20 off.

As I open the box, I see it is the cheaper ($99), previous model Makita DMP180ZX 18V LXT® Lithium-Ion Cordless Inflator.

So someone decided to save $55 dollars and ripoff Amazon with their easy return policy.
This is BS people. Maybe not as asinine as the returned Wally World oil jugs with the used oil, but just the same.
I don't get it.

Kinda pricey for an inflator. I just have those Ryobi inflators for the car and got them when they were around $20 for the inflator so you can have one in every car. Plus got an extra one as a spare as someone smashed my window a while ago and I had one stolen when it was in the trunk. Had a nice 4 amp hour battery on it too.

Kinda pricey for an inflator. I just have those Ryobi inflators for the car and got them when they were around $20 for the inflator so you can have one in every car. Plus got an extra one as a spare as someone smashed my window a while ago and I had one stolen when it was in the trunk. Had a nice 4 amp hour battery on it too.
I have the $20 inflator as well, the battery was more expensive than the tool of course. Takes a while to inflate a passenger car tire but easier than firing up the pancake compressor.

Regarding the Makita, maybe the refurbishment / returns department couldn't tell the difference between the 2 tools?

I have the $20 inflator as well, the battery was more expensive than the tool of course. Takes a while to inflate a passenger car tire but easier than firing up the pancake compressor.

Regarding the Makita, maybe the refurbishment / returns department couldn't tell the difference between the 2 tools?
I figured it paid for itself by now because most places with free air have a line and other places charge you at least $1-$2 just for air.

That sure is a shame. That is like one time my teacher had bought some oil at a store and opened it back at the shop and it was used someone had returned the used oil in the bottle for a refund. 😡. I don’t like dishonest people either. Fortunately for me I’ve got a Husky inflator we keep in our main car and then a Craftsman air compressor. But I hate having to drag the hose out so I use the inflator more.

With Amazon Returns, my experience is that I, as the buyer is the inspection department. I sometimes buy returns, and they obviously didn't do anything but put a sticker on it. It's hit or miss, and if your life depends on it don't buy it.
I think Amazon decided it's to expensive to inspect, and will have you do it for 5% off.

I avoid Amazon for most things primarily due to their return policy. I know one person in particular that returns at least 1/3 of all orders mainly due to it not being 'exactly what they wanted'... most of what she sends back isn't used or even taken out of the package most of the time, but still much too lenient on their returns.

Common with AWD. I've seen regular wrenches crammed back in the packaging of ratcheting wrenches

Although on aggregate my experience with AWD has been extremely positive. But yes, if it's something where you simply canNOT afford a "miss," buy new from the start.

If it was AWD deals they'll take it back no questions. I frequently buy from AWD but I don't usually consider it unless it's 25%+ off. Prices fluctuate heavily based upon their algorithm. Just recently I posted about a ~$65 harmonic balancer I got for $17 (albeit Dorman so maybe the joke's on me):

Not that I doubt someone would do this, but is it possible the tool was mis-packaged from the beginning resulting in the first return? I’d be surprised if someone at the DC (or wherever returns are processed) would be knowledgeable enough to notice the model number on the box is different than the one on the tool itself.

Just a thought.

Amazon accepted the return no problem. I just want to make sure they understand what happened so they don't sell it again.
And maybe go after the crook... Fat chance, I know...

Amazon accepted the return no problem. I just want to make sure they understand what happened so they don't sell it again.
And maybe go after the crook... Fat chance, I know...
Supposedly they do track accounts that do this, but I suspect it has to be really egregious for them to figure it out.

As noted, their "inspectors" seem to be blind. I've long thought it really wouldn't be that difficult to have, say, mechanically inclined people handle returns from Tools, Automotive, and Industrial & Scientific, then "fashionistas " handle clothes and home goods etc etc

It wouldn't be perfect but it would catch A LOT of problems with return merchandise and fraud, eg can you identify a standard DBE wrench vs a ratcheting wrench?

I'm NOT talking down about anybody, merely saying we all have strengths and weaknesses in our knowledge. I'd be worthless for inspecting fashion, purses, clothes and most home goods

You need to get over being mad at what others do.
What they do is on them.
How you chose to react is on you.
Dishonesty is hugely disappointing to me. I agree it is on them but we all pay for other's actions. Some people consider themselves justified for this crap. While I cannot be sure what happened here, I have to believe somone bought the $99 and $155 versions and simply returned the $99 in the $155 box. That's a BS game.

Bummer. Similar thing happened to me. Ordered a $60+ SK Ratchet. What I got was the $19 repair kit for the same ratchet (part # was the same. But with a -10 on the end).

I figured it paid for itself by now because most places with free air have a line and other places charge you at least $1-$2 just for air.
I go to the truck stops and use the air hoses for the truckers. I won't pay for air!

I go to the truck stops and use the air hoses for the truckers. I won't pay for air!
There aren't that many truck stops around here. The only places that do free air that I know of is BJ's wholesale, I'm not sure if Costco has free air, don't get gas there that often. Plus on the turnpike here, air is free at the gas stations. But I have my own inflator now so I never go there. Sometimes there's a line 3-4 deep at BJs to get free air. Mobil used to do free air if you asked the gas station attendant, but they stopped that years ago.

There aren't that many truck stops around here. The only places that do free air that I know of is BJ's wholesale, I'm not sure if Costco has free air, don't get gas there that often. Plus on the turnpike here, air is free at the gas stations. But I have my own inflator now so I never go there. Sometimes there's a line 3-4 deep at BJs to get free air. Mobil used to do free air if you asked the gas station attendant, but they stopped that years ago.
Costco will fill your tires if you pull up outside a bay and ask. Some Costcos have self service air stations where you set the desired pressure and pump away.
Just about every tire shop will fill your tires if you pull up and ask.

Of course I check and inflate at home. And in the neighbors' driveway if they ask...

Back