Septic tanks treatments

If you have room, it's possible to add extensions to an existing drain field to extend it's lifespan. It may also be possible to add an additional run and install a bull run valve to divert some or all the effluent away from existing runs to give them a break and give the bio-solids time to break down in the leach field helping to restore their carrying capacity. You would switch between runs seasonally in that case.

You don’t have to agree with me. I’m going by what the septic service man told me. I’ve been in my home for six years and have have it pumped twice. Both times it was full of solids on one side. The house and system is eleven years old and in good shape. Plus, there are no trees any where around it.
Try some of those enzyme products. It won't hurt it.

Yes, We get it pumped every 3 years. I think your comment regarding age and roots is a factor.

I got a quote just to have the leach lines done. No tank replacement. $30K to $35K - and that doesn't include putting your landscaping back together aside from filling up the tranches and holes. California prices, I suppose. Ridiculous.

Scott
That price in not that far out of line with the rest of the country where inspections are required.

We have a septic system at one house and we are cautious with the TP and i have it pumped about every 5 years. I was told by one pump man to go buy a brick of yeast from the bakery here in town and break it up and put it in the tank. Seemed to work ok. Bakery is gone now so can't do that anymo

I've used Roebic products before even though we have a sanitary sewer. I did find this from the state of Massachussets, where listed products are allowed to be used, but with the only requirement that they won't harm the system or environment when used according to the label.

I don't see what I've used, which is Roebic K-67. That's meant as a drain and trap cleaner. But it's not specifically a septic system cleaner. I think we've also used K-97, which is meant as a bacterial main-line cleaner, and that's on the list. But K-57 is on their list.

I've seen some claims that they might work too well and cause a disruption in the drain field.

The SDS for your product states that it only has the "bacteria" type additive, nothing to break up the top scum layer of oils/greases/etc.. Something doesn't add up. The top scum layer is normal. Dissolving it and sending it into your leach field might make your leach field even worse in the long term!. "Crystal clear water" might also indicate that you are sending solids into your leach field, or maybe it is settling out, but who knows?

The idea is that the bacteria will create the enzymes needed to break down various stuff, which they normally produce in order to digest. Of course there are the combination bacteria and enzyme products, but the idea is that the enzymes give it a head start for bacterial digestion.

However, Roebic recommends K-57 as an emergency treatment. They have a different treatment (K-37) they recommend for maintenance.

We have a septic system at one house and we are cautious with the TP and i have it pumped about every 5 years. I was told by one pump man to go buy a brick of yeast from the bakery here in town and break it up and put it in the tank. Seemed to work ok. Bakery is gone now so can't do that anymo
Charman toilet paper and hygienic wipes are two things that you don’t want to introduce into your septic system. Also, feminine hygiene products.

We bought a home in 2022 with septic. House was built in 1997, it had a garbage disposal during some period by former owner, there was a leak where the first line in the leach field was breached/clogged by tree roots (which were removed prior to our purchase) and the former owner was a little old lady with no other tenants at the home.

The system at that point was 25 years old, the former owner claimed she wasn't aware she had septic (neighbors didn't know they were on septic) so the system hadn't been pumped in 25 years. We had it pumped as part of the inspection. Our honey dipper said that since little old lady was the only resident during that time probably saved the system had it been a family and not maintaining it.

We rerouted the tank down to the next line in the leach field bypassing the clogged/damaged section. It was out of code (they don't use the same method and materials anymore) and not worth tearing up the plants and lawn. We knew the issue went further into the first line from seeing old pictures (at least 3 trees over that section). The leach field goes in a continuous line across and down the front lawn, so we now have 4 sections where the original had 5.

Due to the blockage and formerly garbage disposal, I felt we were at risk of a bad or expired leach field. I set out on a yearly regiment of Roebic (4 treatments per year) and monthly Green Gobber. So far, the system seems fine.

Last edited:
My tank and drain field is 60 years old, so a ticking time bomb. Only thing that has saved it thus far is the previous owner was a little ol' lady that lived by herself and we have a 3 year pumping requirement in place by my local township. Now with 3 people in the house with 2 that can't grasp the idea of using less toilet paper I'm pumping it every year. No additives, wipes go in the trash can, and careful food cleanup there isn't much of a scum layer. The amount of paper in there though, oof. Replacement is around $35,000 as I can no longer go with a gravity drainfield and have to go with sand mound. Being a homeowner is great, but also frustrating.

The copper sulfate will not harm the trees other than kill off the roots that come in contact with it. The problem is roots above the water line in the pipes as they will not be affected.

I use a septic treatment that seems to really clear up the tanks. Once a month a 1/4 cup. CLR Prevent and Protect microbial.

My tank and drain field is 60 years old, so a ticking time bomb. Only thing that has saved it thus far is the previous owner was a little ol' lady that lived by herself and we have a 3 year pumping requirement in place by my local township. Now with 3 people in the house with 2 that can't grasp the idea of using less toilet paper I'm pumping it every year. No additives, wipes go in the trash can, and careful food cleanup there isn't much of a scum layer. The amount of paper in there though, oof. Replacement is around $35,000 as I can no longer go with a gravity drainfield and have to go with sand mound. Being a homeowner is great, but also frustrating.
On a positive note a well constructed over large sand mound is the best in all ways. Just have to mow it

On a positive note a well constructed over large sand mound is the best in all ways. Just have to mow it

True, but they're pretty unsightly. And right now my current field actually goes onto the neighbors property (all family back when it was originally put in) so my entire yard is gonna have to be dug up and re-configured. Right where I wanted to build a shop. :mad:

The treatments are worth a try I would remove the laundry from the septic system and make a grey water drain to some where on your property, The washer uses lots of water. Shower instead of baths.

I've used Roebic products before even though we have a sanitary sewer. I did find this from the state of Massachussets, where listed products are allowed to be used, but with the only requirement that they won't harm the system or environment when used according to the label.

I don't see what I've used, which is Roebic K-67. That's meant as a drain and trap cleaner. But it's not specifically a septic system cleaner. I think we've also used K-97, which is meant as a bacterial main-line cleaner, and that's on the list. But K-57 is on their list.

I've seen some claims that they might work too well and cause a disruption in the drain field.

I use another product on that list (Bio-Clean) on a monthly preventative/maintenance basis to keep a drain pipe downstream from our kitchen sink clear. A section of the drain pipe would clog annually despite not rinsing food waste and grease down the sink. The clog looked like grease/fat on an endoscope and only an auger could clear it.

After doing this disgusting song and dance for the third time, I started using Bio-Clean and the drain pipe hasn't clogged in years.

In my old house I dumped a quart of buttermilk into the toilet every once in a while, it's what we were taught as youngsters. I had it pumped once in 17 years, just because I figured it needed it, not because anything was backing up. Maybe I was lucky. House was built in the early 80s, I bought it in 2003 - had it pumped circa 2015. Had no clue where the hatch was, it took the pump man a while to find it.

Back