Self tapping oil drain plug?

Hey gang,

I got family member that had an unfortunate over-tightening of their oil drain bolt at a quick-lube. It's stripped pretty good, but the bolt is still removable. It's on a Camry and the bolt size is M12-1.25. I suggested we could try an oversized self-tapping oil drain plug bolt before we go to the trouble of replacing the oil pan; however, I've never used one of these products. Since the original is M12-1.25 would I just be looking for an S.O. M12-1.25 self-tapping bolt like this option from Dorman? I'm assuming the same washers fit too?

Thanks

Last edited:
They sell single/double/triple.... oversized self-tapping plugs and are easy enough to install and use. Grab a single oversized dorman. Takes a little effort to seat it the 1st time. Uses the same washer too.

Its would be better to remove pan and repair it. Hit it with a 12-12.5mm drill and run an m14x1.5 roll tap. 14mmx1.5 is common to hyundai/kia/honda/ford/vw......

But, for a quick usable fix, the oversized plugs are a great choice for a quick affordable repair without pan replacement, without pan drilling out & tapping, or without pan weld up and re-tap repair.

They sell single/double/triple.... oversized self-tapping plugs and are easy enough to install and use. Grab a single oversized dorman. Takes a little effort to seat it the 1st time. Uses the same washer too.

Its would be better to remove pan and repair it. Hit it with a 12-12.5mm drill and run an m14x1.5 roll tap. 14mmx1.5 is common to hyundai/kia/honda/ford/vw......

But, for a quick usable fix, the oversized plugs are a great choice for a quick affordable repair without pan replacement, without pan drilling out & tapping, or without pan weld up and re-tap repair.
Thanks! So where I'm confused is if the S.O. M12-1.25 is what I need for what was originally a M12-1.25 plug?

What is stripped, the head or the threads ?

I have no idea what "oversize thread" is. M12x1.25 is M12x1.25. At first, I presumed the oversized part referred to the bolt's hex head (typically called "heavy hex head").

Thanks folks, that cleared up the confusion for me.

Once the S.O. self-tapping bolt is used will the original bolt fit again or (I assume) we just have to use the S.O. bolt from now on? Any other downside going with the self-tapping vs a different fix?

See if they make a piggy-back plug or also called a plug-in-a-plug. The threads that screw into the pan are oversized and are permanent. The smaller plug that screws into the permanent plug is then what gets removed to change your oil.

What is stripped, the head or the threads ?

I have no idea what "oversize thread" is. M12x1.25 is M12x1.25. At first, I presumed the oversized part referred to the bolt's hex head (typically called "heavy hex head").
The threads. When I unscrewed it a couple long curly threads came out with the bolt.

See if they make a piggy-back plug or also called a plug-in-a-plug. The threads that screw into the pan are oversized and are permanent. The smaller plug that screws into the permanent plug is then what gets removed to change your oil.
That is an option as well, but what is the advantage of going with the piggyback? I just didn’t like how far it appears it’ll stick out from the pan.

I used one on a neon and it worked wonderfully. Could really feel it going in. You might think a single oversize is "not enough" but when you feel it cutting through, you'll know otherwise.

Being a stubborn machinist I'd probably see if I could run a 1/2" tap in there....either 13 or 20 tpi depending upon drain plug availability.

Seems to me 1/2" effectively is oversize for 12mm (by about 30 thou or 1/32")

If you're near the Four Corners I've got an M12 timesert kit from when I repaired an '05 Freestyle pan...that may have been M12x1.75? I can't recall.....but I was impressed with the Timesert setup.

edit: yep M12x1.75 but if you're putting in an insert you can run whatever thread pitch you want.

Attachments

• 20230408_173633.jpg
    20230408_173633.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I usually stay away from oversize plugs, I usually drill oversize for an insert or the next size larger plug. In the odd event I use an oversize plug I like the piggyback style. Reason being that once the oversize plug is installed you never touch the threads in the pan again, you simply remove the pipe plug from the end of the piggyback plug to change the oil.

Back