Seeking opinions on 9mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad gave me a nearly new Springfield EMP 9mm for Christmas...with the suggestion that I could sell it and buy a small carry gun (like his Kel-tec P32 that I love) AND a standard-sized 9mm (1911 or otherwise) for HD and range use. I decided that I'd reserve judgement on selling it until I shot it, because every review on it indicates that it's a fantastic gun. We went out and shot some on Saturday. He has a S&W Pro Series 1911 in 9mm and I shot it well. The shorter 3" barrel of the EMP didn't shoot as well for me. I put five or six mags through it and I didn't dislike shooting it, but do feel that I could likely get a gun more optimized for how I will use it. So I am looking for a buyer for this Springfield EMP 9mm.

Factoring in a lot of preferences and wants and desires, I have narrowed the ubiquitous 9mm handgun field down to three guns, or at least three types: any of the 9mm 1911 clones, a Glock 17 or 19, or a CZ 75 (or possibly one of its clones).

I think I can get about $900-1000 for the Springfield EMP, and $250 of that will most certainly go to a new Kel-tec P32 (I love shooting that gun). So that leaves about $650-750 left for a decent HD/range 9mm. And that should be able to buy me ANY of the 9s I'm considering above, a 9mm 1911, G17/19, or 9mm CZ 75.

Does anyone have experience with more than one of the choices I'm considering, who might be able to give some good first-hand experiences and pros/cons of them? I've spent a lot of time on the internet this weekend, and though I've never heard of a CZ 75 before, it pops up very often as an answer to a question about a very easy-to-shoot 9mm. And digging deeper into them, it has bubbled to near the top of my list. I like a lot about the Glocks, including endless customization options and perceived reliability. I'm not a Glock fanboy, and have never owned one, so I don't have any preference for the brand as a brand name. But they do look nice. And I do like the general layout and controls of the 1911. My other pistol is a Ruger 22/45, which is patterned after the 1911, but shooting .22LR. So I'm very familiar with the general layout of those. And I think that's why I like the CZ 75 a lot...it looks like it functions a lot like a 1911.

So anyway, I appreciate all advice on these three 9mm platforms.

Thanks in advance.

That EMP is a nice pistol! I think, had someone given that to me, I would just keep it...

Originally Posted By: salv
Springfield XD Tactical with the 5 inch barrel is nice if you are a fan of the Springfield.

For concealed carry??

Originally Posted By: Astro14
That EMP is a nice pistol! I think, had someone given that to me, I would just keep it...

It is DEFINITELY a nice pistol. It'd be fun to keep it.

I see guns as tools, and the EMP is a tool that I just can't justify keeping at this point...at least I don't think I can. It'd be a good carry gun, but I'm going to carry something smaller and much lighter than this, a Kel-tec P32. So I don't need it for carry. And with its shorter barrel and lighter frame, I just don't shoot it as well as I do a heavier/longer 9mm. It does have the Trijicon night sights, but most others are upgradeable to night sights and I'd think they'd be more appropriate for how I intend to use a 9mm.

I guess it's sort of analagous to giving a high school student a brand new Camaro SS. Awesome car, no doubt about it. But would that student be better off selling that SS for a Cruze, and using the left-over money to pay for school, etc?

If I were in a different position in life, I'd keep the EMP, as I would probably never spend this much money on a nice pistol. But in the position I am in, I think I'd rather buy a smaller carry gun and a longer 9mm that is more enjoyable for me to shoot as a HD gun.

I am questioning the .32 auto for a defensive gun. One word for the .25 and .32. Cute. I am a big guy, but if someone threatened with either of the two, I don't think I would hesitate to grab a pipe and beat them to death. Try the Glock before you buy it. You either love them or hate them. I hate mine, my wife loves it. They are a unique gun. I would like the CZ better than the 1911 because of the double action. I am not a fan of cocked and locked carry though.

I have a number of 9mm 1911's, Springfield has a new one out, the Range Officer in 9mm. (PI9129LP) if it holds true to the Range Officer in .45 it will be a very nice pistol for the money.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=162

I have a good bit of time with a CZ75 Clone (a first generation Witness, which was a nearly perfect copy) and some with an actual CZ75.

I've shot a Glock but not much.

My thoughts are:

9mm 1911 - very nice to shoot in a steel 5" pistol, negligible recoil, BUT you probably need to spend more than your budget for a quality pistol (even close to a CZ quality). 9mm 1911's can be magazine sensitive too.

CZ - IMO the best 9mm pistol out there, for the money there's no reason to look for a clone. Not too hard to adjust between a 1911 and CZ. The trigger will be heavy but will smooth out with some use. More recoil than a steel 5" 1911

Glock - I just don't care for them, for a predominately 1911 shooter they feel very blocky and awkward. You might love it but be sure to handle one. I can't say anything bad about the actual pistol, I just don't care for the ergonomics.

I would rank them in this order, partucularly for CCW use.

1)Glock 19
2)Glock 17
3)CZ75
4)1911

Since it sounds like you are comfortable with the 1911 ergonomics, you may not like the Glock, however. Better try one first as others have suggested.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

Again, this 9mm purchase is not for a carry gun. I'm looking for a full-size 9mm to keep in a locked MicroVault on the nightstand for HD. The question on caliber for carry is a valid one, and one certainly worthy of a separate discussion.

Again, I'm not looking for a 9mm to carry here...I'm looking for a larger full-size model for home use.

On the CZ 75...I have seen both the 75B and the 75BD, the BD having a decocker rather than a manual safety. Remember, this gun will not be carried, no "cocked & locked" here. Just a home defense weapon on the nightstand in a safe. Would I prefer a pistol with a decocker here (for DA mode on first pull), or does it not matter in my situation?

Thanks again, and keep the replies coming.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I am questioning the .32 auto for a defensive gun. One word for the .25 and .32. Cute. I am a big guy, but if someone threatened with either of the two, I don't think I would hesitate to grab a pipe and beat them to death.

You're cute.

qN4pzmb.png

I would at least wait til after shotshow in a few weeks and see what new stuff is coming out. Rumors are that glock might be announcing some new guns.

I don't have enough first hand experience with Glocks or CZ to offer advice, but I have to agree with Panzerman with regards to your choice of .32 for carry. Even stepping up to a .380 would give you a significant increase in power, not to mention going to a 9mm. Kel-Tec has firearms in all these calibers, so you can stick with the brand since you like them. The P-3AT in .380 is virtually identical in size to the P-32, and you only lose one round in capacity.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
On the CZ 75...I have seen both the 75B and the 75BD, the BD having a decocker rather than a manual safety. Remember, this gun will not be carried, no "cocked & locked" here. Just a home defense weapon on the nightstand in a safe. Would I prefer a pistol with a decocker here (for DA mode on first pull), or does it not matter in my situation?

It depends on what you're used to. The safety allows you to render the pistol "safe" and remain SA, which I would prefer for a range pistol (remember 1911 guy
wink.gif
) . The decocker drops the hammer, but your next strike is DA...

Also be aware there is a DAO and a SAO version as well as an "Omega" which I understand has a different trigger mechanism and is from my understanding convertible from B to BD configuration, but is not as well thought of...

There is also the 85 which is a 75 with ambi and the 85 combat which is an 85 with adjustable sites...

Then we get into the SP01 (75 series with a rail) and the Shadows and other competition models...$$$$$

IMO - get the standard 75B or 85B unless you have a specific need or want for one of the other features.

Last edited:
The CZ75 was described by the late Col. Cooper as the finest 9mm Combat pistol he ever shot. That is one heck of an endorsement. I have owned CZ weapons in the past and they are great. The CZ, being all steel will shoot as soft as a 1911 in 9mm, however has better capacity and a much simplified and more modern design. The 1911 is a fine pistol, but it is still just an edwardian era design that has been hot rodded (puts on flame suit). When Col. Cooper decided to start the Bren Ten project, he based his gun on the CZ and not the 1911 he also loved.

Hokie,

Check out this stopping power site that lists actual shooting one shot stop percentages.

http://www.handloads.com/misc/stoppingpower.asp

The little .32 if far subpar compared with the 9mm.

I carry a Kel-Tec PF9 in 9mm. It's just a little bigger than the Kel-Tec .32. It still fits in my back jean pocket with no holster when I go for a walk.

I would not carry a .32 unless that was all that was available. Better than throwing rocks as they say. Also better than the 9mm that you left home because it was too large to carry.

I'm not familiar with the Springfield.

Between a Glock 17 or 19, CZ 75, or a 9mm 1911, the answer is CZ 75.

In my opinion.

edit: not to muddy the water, but if you like the feel and action of a 1911, consider the Hi Power. IMHO, 1911's are meant to be .45 auto.

Last edited:
A browning hi power and a 1911 feel totally different, and the trigger on the hi power usually leaves a lot to be desired as far as a Single Action Only system goes. Browning and his apprentice Saive had to work around Brownings older Colt patents. A cz75 SAO would be a much better gun.

And as for an autoloader, I would not carry anything less than a 380ACP if you can help it. Now I do have a Walther PP in 32ACP I gave to my mom. With her hands and arthritis, its about the most she can handle and the weight of the all steel gun helps recoil.

I went to Gander Mountain last night and held the Glocks. I like the 19 better than the 17, though even the 19 feels plenty big enough. The 19 grip fit my hands better. If I do buy a Glock, it will likely be the 19. The 26 was a little tight in terms of size.

They had one of the EAA CZ 75 clones as a used gun, but I didn't hold it. I might need to go back and see how it feels.

I go back and forth on keeping or selling the EMP. The way I see it, I have four options here:

$0 out of pocket options:

A: keep the EMP, and it becomes a HD and carry gun. Larger than I think I want for a carry gun, but most who buy this gun are carrying it.

B: sell the EMP and buy a sub-compact carry gun and a 9mm replacement (which would probably be a Glock 19).

$400 out of pocket options:

C: keep the EMP as a HD gun and supplement $400 to buy a sub-compact carry gun.

D: sell the EMP for $800, buy a higher quality full size 1911 9mm for $800, and supplement $400 to buy a sub-compact carry gun

I don't really like A...I don't want to carry something this heavy, and if I'm carrying the gun, then it's not home for SD with my wife.

B was my original plan, and is still very much on the table.

Neither C nor D appeals much to me because I'd have to come out of pocket significantly to buy a smaller carry gun. I really don't have $400 sitting around for that.

Just so you know the EAA Witness is a design clone but its much bulkier than the CZ75 since they now use one from for 22lr, 9mm, 40S&w,10mm, and 45ACP. In the old days they had a small frome for the 9mm, 22lr, and 40S&W that was close to the CZ, but now they just use a large frame. The new Witness guns are closer to the CZ97 in 45acp in size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back