Seeking opinions on 9mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the tip on that. If I do a CZ 75, I think I probably would get the genuine CZ brand. I've read that most of the clones aren't EXACT clones, so what little aftermarket support there is for a CZ 75, compatibility with a clone isn't guaranteed.

I'm currently really digging the CZ 75 in matte stainless. I've seen a picture of one locally and it looks incredible. I've softened a little on the Glock 19, though only because I think for this home defense and range gun, the heavier steel frame might be best for me, and make it more enjoyable to shoot.

I take my concealed carry class on 11 Jan. You have to either have a pistol purchase permit to buy a handgun in NC (and one permit for each gun you buy), or have a Concealed Handgun Permit, with which you can buy as many guns as you like. I surrendered the last pistol purchase permit that I had in the transfer of the EMP from dad to me, so I cannot buy a handgun again until I either get the class taken and CHP issued, or go down and buy more pistol purchase permits.

I own variants of the guns you listed.

My STI Spartan 1911 in .45 is simply a pleasure to shoot. I often take it with me to 3-gun matches simply because I enjoy shooting it so much, despite its disadvantages in 3-gun. However, it is the least reliable centerfire pistol I own. It is somewhat picky about mags, bullet shape, and cartridge length.

My CZ SP-01 is 75B variant. Compared to a standard 75B, the SP-01 is slightly longer and has a full length dust cover with picatinny rail. It also comes standard with night sights and 18rd mags (but it will happily accept standard 75B 16rd mags). It is all steel and recoil is practically nil, especially with a light mounted to the rail. Mine is manual safety model, but a decocker version is also available. Despite being a full size gun, the grip is very comfortable, even with my small hands. The safety is an a bad spot for my short thumbs (the 1911 safety is much better in that regard).

The SP-01 trigger has a slightly different curve than the 75B does, and I vbbelieve the grip is just a smidge different. That said, most people find the grips of both to be quite nice. VZ and CZ Custom offer custom grip panels.

I have two 9mm Glocks, the baby 26 and the extended-length 34 (about 1/2" longer slide than the 17). They are incredibly reliable. Pretty much any/every part of them can be changed out for an aftermarket part, if you are inclined to do so. My 26 is stock aside from Meprolight night sights and a Glock extended slide release. My 34 is set up for games, but is far from a race gun. It has Warren Tactical "Sevigny Carry" sights, Glock extended mag release, Glock extended slide release, "match grade" slide lock, Ghost Rocket connector, Seattle Slug, steel guide rod, and reduced power recoil spring.

The two biggest drawbacks to the Glock are the grip shape and the trigger. The grip is large, even on the Gen4 models, and the angle is a bit odd. But if you find it comfortable, no big deal. If you hate the grip shape, the rest of the gun doesn't matter. The trigger, to put it nicely, is mediocre, especially if you like single-actions like the 1911. One thing I've learned is that a Glock trigger will never feel like a 1911 trigger. And that's fine - there are plenty of USPSA and 3-gun shooters that shoot exceedingly well with the Glock.

Glocks are incredibly simple to work on. My SP-01 is like a swiss watch compared to the sun dial mechanism of the Glock. Spare parts are also incredibly cheap and easy to find for Glocks. Glocks can also be found for $350-$400 for used Gen2 and Gen3 guns, usually police trade-ins. If you buy a used gun, you can replace pretty much every spring in it for about $20 and basically have a near-new gun.

In action, the large slide of the Glock is much easier to manipulate than the comparatively small slide of the CZ. The consistent trigger of the Glock and 1911 are seen by some as better than the DA/SA of the CZ. As mentioned, I don't care for the safety location on the CZ. My first shot times are faster with the 1911 compared to the CZ, but a 17 shot string is faster with the CZ since I won't have to reload while I'll have to reload twice with the 1911. Grounding the Glock during a match is easier than the other two since there is no safety to flip on. The Glock 34 also carries easier than my 1911 or SP-01 due to the weight.

In short, they are three different guns. Not vastly different, but enough that you can see why people have preferences.

My wife prefers the SP-01 because of the grip and minimal recoil.

For pure shooting fun, I prefer the 1911.

For a match, I prefer the Glock.

For the nightstand, the SP-01 is ready.

If I had to take a pistol to fight zombie hordes in a post-apocalyptic world, I'd take the Glock.

Regarding reliability, there are plenty of youtube torture tests for you to watch and Glock reliability is real. I will say that at matches, by far, the least reliable handgun I see is the 1911. Only pump shotguns fare worse in the reliability department.

If you do get a Glock, try the various lengths. Some people shoot the 17 better than the 34, despite the longer sight radius of the 17. Some prefer the recoil impulse of the 189 over the 17. The all feel similar and shoot similar, but are certainly different. All of them have mild recoil. The baby 26 gets jumpy because of the short grip.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HM12460
Have you considered a Ruger P 95? Good gun at a good price, although it is an older model.

If I recall the P95 has been discontinued.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I am questioning the .32 auto for a defensive gun. One word for the .25 and .32. Cute. I am a big guy, but if someone threatened with either of the two, I don't think I would hesitate to grab a pipe and beat them to death.

You're cute.

qN4pzmb.png

I am trying to figure out if your agreeing with me or trying to impress me. A 60 grain bullet at 960 fps, is not impressive. I am probably less afraid of them now. A .22 stinger will push a 36 grain bullet at 1600 fps and a .22 mag is a 40 grain at over 2000 fps. Seriously, that is a personal defense gun, because its too wimpy to hunt with. Best for dispatching a living things execution style, not for actually stopping anything angry. I believe they were a favorite among German officers in World War 2 for that very reason.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Have you considered a Ruger P 95? Good gun at a good price, although it is an older model.

I don't think so. I saw a KP95 brand new yesterday at the LGS.

Regardless, the SR series is a much better and more ergonomic pistol.

Hokiefyd,

There is no way I'd trade that 9. That is a very nice gun and has a place in your arsenal.

I own a number of pistols, I know exactly what I like. And you've got it. I'm not sure of your experience level, but that's a pistol that one can easily grow into.

As far as a baby Kel-Tec, or the baby Ruger, NOPE. Not a good carry weapon, sorry. Not just because it's down on power, but also due to the limited capacity and bona-fide limited reliability. I'd think long and hard before trusting my life, or my family's lives to such a cheap, plastic gun.

I've posted on this many times before, but capacity is very important. Consider what's happening in our country. Attacks are no longer 2 on 1. They are often 3, 4, 5 or a gang of 9 on 1 (as happened to me) Next is firepower. 9mm is a nice balance of capacity and firepower. And, reliability is paramount. People forget that carry pistols get dirty quickly. The plastic-fantastics don't tolerate dirt well at all.

Last edited:
Have you tried a Walther PPQ? I got one having tried several others and I'm very happy with it.

Last edited:
Hok,

I'm a Glock guy pure and simple. I own four of them: 17, 23, 26 and 30. The beauty of sticking with one type is the consistent manual of arms. They all shoot the same. They all have the same internal safeties. They are relatively light weight and hi-cap. They are easy to shoot accurately. And, they are reasonably priced. If you feel like the 19 fits your hand good, just get it and don't look back. I use the 17 around the house 'cause 18 rounds is better than less.

Last edited:
If you are still looking I would consider the FNH FNX-9, I own one and I am very pleased with it. If you are able to I would go shoot one and see what you think, I was skeptical until a friend told me to look at the FNX, glad he did. 17 rounds, comes with 3 magazines, well made, and accurate as [censored].

+1 - Glock 17 or Glock 26 ...The gold standard .
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Hok,

I'm a Glock guy pure and simple. I own four of them: 17, 23, 26 and 30. The beauty of sticking with one type is the consistent manual of arms. They all shoot the same. They all have the same internal safeties. They are relatively light weight and hi-cap. They are easy to shoot accurately. And, they are reasonably priced. If you feel like the 19 fits your hand good, just get it and don't look back. I use the 17 around the house 'cause 18 rounds is better than less.

Originally Posted By: Hasty46
If you are still looking I would consider the FNH FNX-9, I own one and I am very pleased with it. If you are able to I would go shoot one and see what you think, I was skeptical until a friend told me to look at the FNX, glad he did. 17 rounds, comes with 3 magazines, well made, and accurate as [censored].

FN mags can be difficult to find, and are $$$.

CZ 75, Berettta 92, and Glock 9mm mags are much, much easier to find, and less expensive too.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Originally Posted By: Robenstein

I don't think so. I saw a KP95 brand new yesterday at the LGS.

Regardless, the SR series is a much better and more ergonomic pistol.

The P95 is no longer listed on the Ruger website. A google search confirms its been axed after all these years.

I got one. Kinda heavy, but nice.

You need a good 4-5 inch barrel, high capacity gun for home defense (night stand) use. I like simple guns for home defense, something with no safety. Like a Glock 17/19, Sig P226, Smith & Wesson M&P, or Springfield XD are all fantastic, point and shoot, reliable guns. Get something with a rail and mount a Streamlight or Surefire flashlight on it.

For carry gun, skip over that .32 caliber mouse gun and get AT LEAST a .380. The Ruger LCP or Kel-Tec P3AT are about the same size as your dads .32 and have much more stopping power. Also look at the Smith & Wesson 442/642 revolvers (great carry guns), Ruger LCR, Smith & Wesson shield among others.

And if you don't already, the BEST home defense gun is a long gun such as a 12/20 gauge shotgun (Remington 870 or Mossberg 500/590) or a magazine fed semi-auto (Ruger Mini 14 or AR-15) The long gun should be your primary home defense gun. Pass the handgun to your wife once you get the long gun out.

All this is based on over 10 years of law enforcement experience and tons of tactical training and continued training over the years. My family and my personal safety is of the utmost importance to me, so I choose the BEST tools for the job.

Currently my bed side gun is an AR-15 loaded with 28 rounds of hollow point ammo, his and hers Glock 17's in the night stand with light/laser combo Streamlight's mounted on them. My carry gun is a Glock 26, Ruger LCP, or Smith & Wesson 340, depending on my mood and clothing choice for the day.

I own a Springfield Armory XDM 3.8 in 9mm. It is one of the most accurate & flawless shooters right out of the box that I`ve ever owned.

I carry and TRUST a Kel-tec PF 9. It had the factory fluff and buff and I had to find the ammo it liked, but it is reliable. I also own a Taurus 709, similiar but heavier. It went back home for an extractor failure. It is now trustworthy. It weighs 5 oz more than the KT which is enough to keep it our of my pocket holster. Either hold 8 rounds. That and an extra mag if you worry about it. Easy shooters out to about 12 yards. At 25 yards you will need a lot of practice to consistently hit a man in the vitals.

For home, .45 Taurus and a 12 gauge pump. Etc..
The Springfield XD M is a nice pistol. If not a daily carry gun, get the .45. And the CZ 75 in brushed stainless is a beauty.

Thanks for the continued advice!

I also own and shoot a Mossberg 500A, 20" 12-gauge. As Bubbatime noted, fantastic home defense weapon. I am currently, however, struggling to find a way to keep that close at hand and ready for action and still keep it safe from our two children. I have, of course, talked with them about gun safety and do plan on getting them shooting soon, or at least the older one (they are 8 and 5), but I can easily lock a handgun in a MicroVault or a Sentry Safe at the bedside. I can't do that with a shotgun, so I am still contemplating that.

For the EMP fans out there, I have pretty much made my peace with selling this gun. It's simply not the right tool for the job for me at this point. I didn't get a willie from shooting it, and the only reason it pains me to let it go is because I know I'll likely not have a gun this nice for many years. Be that as it may, I'm a family man and have to do what is right to protect my family, and that means liquidating that EMP into enough cash to buy a good 9mm pistol for the house and something else for carry.

I DID pick up an FNH FNX-9 at Gander Mountain when I was there looking at Glocks. It seemed nice, but didn't necessarily stir any emotions with me. The Glocks, incidentally, were the same. The grip on the 19 fit me pretty good, but getting to the slide release was a stretch for my thumb. I could put the extended slide release on, and that would probably help. I really wanted to like the Glocks...I guess I'm just more comfortable with a hammer-fired pistol at this point in my gun ownership experience. Glocks are point-and-shoot, and I know there are pros and cons to that. I can also get Glocks at LEO pricing. And I guess the Glock isn't completely off the table...it's just not looking likely at the moment.

I did hold a used EAA Witness they had and REALLY liked it. It's very similar to the CZ 75 that I'm considering. At this point, I'm thinking that it's going to be my gun (the CZ 75). I take my concealed carry class next Saturday, but will probably go downtown and get a couple of pistol purchase permits so I can buy a gun or two in the meantime (they say it will take 1-3 months to receive the permit after taking the class).

I appreciate the comments on the carry gun, too. The Kel-tec P-32 and P-3AT are some of the most highly praised carry guns according to various gun review websites. I could be talked into the larger .380 version instead of the .32. I haven't put a ton of thought into that gun at the moment...my primary mission is finding a full-sized replacement for the EMP. And I believe I have found that in the CZ 75.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back