seafoamed incorrectly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seafoamed my 03 camry with 147k mileas successfully and it smoked for 3 minutes (i only put a little bit of it in the brake booster)

must i change the oil right after, or can i do a few successive partial oil changes where i remove 1 quart at a time every 1000 miles?

i tried it on the 09 taurus with 78k miles, but it failed, no smoke came out
i heard you could put it through the vacuum lines and i put the seafoam in many locations, without success

i think i made a mistake

do i need to do an oil change on the taursu now and is the taurus done for since i added seafoam in incorrectly, or does it just end up in the oil, soiling the oil"?: if my oil is soiled because seafoam collected all the gunk, must i change all of it out, or can i change 1 quart of it out at a time, so i have some new oil in combination with the old oil which was soiled by the seafoam, or will the 1 quart of new oil also become quickly soiled by the seafoam?

where would I put seafoam into a 2009 ford taurus? pics/diagrams would help
and if i poured it into the wrong location with no smoke show, did i mess up my engine and need to seek help immediately, or is it fine and it'll just go into the oil?

after a few days after my failed seafoam attempt, i noticed the oil on the taurus got darker, so i figured i did no damage and i just soiled my oil

also, how does one seafoam their power steering, as i'm considering doing that with their trans tune

does quickly changing oil successively with a good cleaning oil like pennzoil platinum clean out all of your sludge?

or should i iwait about 1000 miles before changing the oil again?

and should you often pour seafoam into your crankcase and what if you pour it in righta fter an oil change to clean your engine and free it of sludge?

would you say sludge is a problem for the 2009 taurus v6 and the l4 toyota camry with 147 k miles?

Change your oil within the next 500 miles. That whole replace one quart oil change you posted pertained to minimizing engine wear. That study was never intended to be a tool to clean a gunked up engine.

Dude, it's a 2009 Taurus. There is no reason to Seafoam it. None. If the oils been changed on it somewhat regularly, no it doesn't matter if it was quick lube shops, then it isn't sludged.

Not all cars smoke when Seafoamed.

Change all of the oil as mentioned above within 500 miles.

can i leave the seafoam in there for 1000 miles?
and how did I "blow the motor?"

where was i supposed to put the seafoam in?

03 camry with 147k will hardly be sludged up, unless the oil was rarely changed.

09 Taurus? Why would it be sludged up? Unless you know of a bad engine design, I would have no worries

Originally Posted By: engineer20
can i leave the seafoam in there for 1000 miles?
and how did I "blow the motor?"

where was i supposed to put the seafoam in?

Are you being serious? Is all of your posts just some big joke you're playing on everyone? I mean I like to joke around, but at least the sarcasm is able to be detected.

It is a joke that is why I ignore them.
Nick1994, your sarcasm is very detectable.
Multiple posts help him get a higher post count, in a couple years newbies will look to his high expertise levels.

Last edited:
Once people admit that they themselves made errors in maintenance/repairs, and continue to ask for strangers' help on the internet, the only advice one should give to them is to seek professional advice....

Engineer needs professional help.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GreenFocus
It is a joke that is why I ignore them.
Nick1994, your sarcasm is very detectable.
Multiple posts help him get a higher post count, in a couple years newbies will look to his high expertise levels.

Some people can't tell the difference between talking a lot and having a lot to say...

An '09 anything wouldn't smoke because there isn't anything TO smoke.

Seafoam is taken into the vacuum line from the brake booster to the intake manifold, going towards the intake manifold. This sucks it in and into the cylinders, where you let it sit for a time and start/drive briskly until smoke goes away. You can do this right before your oil change if you wish.

You can also plan your oil changes and put SF in 500 miles before your change. That is optimal. 1000 miles will likely not do any harm. Plan your oil changes better next time.

That about does it for this topic.

If you filled your brake booster with Seafoam, you have indeed applied it incorrectly. Does your car brake ok afterward?

and should you often pour seafoam into your crankcase and what if you pour it in righta fter an oil change to clean your engine and free it of sludge?

would you say sludge is a problem for the 2009 taurus v6 and the l4 toyota camry with 147 k miles?

As others have stated, if you put SF into the crankcase, then you should change the oil soon. I'm not a fan of solvent additives in engine oil unless there is a real existing problem, so don't recommend SF in oil as a preventative measure. Solvent additives are for shock treatments, not prevention. You're better off with using a good, high quality PCMO, changed at intelligent intervals. The best ones do a great cleaning job all by themselves.

Generally speaking, any solvent based cleaner is something that you use at the end of an OCI, not at the beginning. Effectiveness aside, other than LC20 or something ester-based like ARX, most of them have a detrimental effect on the oil's lubricity. Especially with the growing use of turbos, solvent cleaners are not a good ongoing practice in my opinion.

As far as placing SF into the intake tract or fuel system, on a newer car I think you may be better off just dumping a bottle of Techron into the tank before each oil change. Techron is an excellent modern cleaner. This will clean the entire fuel system and the combustion chambers in a safer, more gentle fashion than SF will, especially with fuel injectors. It's so effective that people use it to clean balky fuel senders in some higher end German makes that would otherwise require removal.

I, like many others, have used SF for decades. It has its place. I know SF gives off a great exciting cloud of smoke and a wonderful butt dyno effect when used on older, dirty engines -- typically those with poor maintenance histories. But it's no miracle worker, the effects are often very temporary, and it is not something I would use in regularly maintaining a newer, modern vehicle, like your 2009 Taurus.

There are better, safer ways to maintain engine cleanliness on a newer engine, as detailed above. If you observe smart early maintenance, you won't have the need for stuff SF down the line.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Nice to have you back GHT

No.
No it's not.

The forum is much better without him, and all the other trolls that come and visit us every now and again.

BC.

where would I put seafoam into a 2009 ford taurus? pics/diagrams would help
also, how does one seafoam their power steering, as i'm considering doing that with their trans tune

Read the bottles, and follow those directions.

If that's too difficult, have someone else read the bottles, and either tell you how to do it, or have them do it for you.

If that's too difficult for them, then it's time to find yet another person, and have them do it. The best kind of people are those who work on cars for a living. You just have to pay them some money in order for them to do it for you.

If that's too difficult because you have no money, and that is always a possibility we have to consider, you should probably not waste your money on things like Seafoam, especially if there isn't actually a legitimate reason why you are using it on your cars in the first place.

BC.

does quickly changing oil successively with a good cleaning oil like pennzoil platinum clean out all of your sludge?

or should i iwait about 1000 miles before changing the oil again?

Leave the oil in there, it takes time to work. Unless it turns nasty looking leave it in a whole OCI.

YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW IF YOUR ENGINES ARE "SLUDGED" UP!!!

Its much more than likely all you are doing is wasting your time, money, and energy trying to fix something until its broke.

If you are not GHT, you sure are channeling him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back