Say Goodbye to the Camaro.

So obviously, if you're a GM design engineer, you'd garner all that emotional throwback and put together models that aesthetically throw back to those, right? Rrriiggghhttt??? No. Instead, you do a cash grab and use the name with nothing that remotely reminds anyone of a Camaro or Firebird. It was an absolute mistake and I just cannot understand why GM execs are so dumb and seem to have no idea what consumers want sometimes.
The retro Camaros, Mustangs and Challengers all have the same thing in common: they only sort of look like the cars of the past. The Challenger being slightly less of a caricature than the other two. Camaro and Mustang are now currently full-blown cartoon.

The retro Camaros, Mustangs and Challengers all have the same thing in common: they only sort of look like the cars of the past. The Challenger being slightly less of a caricature than the other two. Camaro and Mustang are now currently full-blown cartoon.
The 2005-2010 or so Mustang did a possibly the best job inside and outside of capturing the 68 era IMO. The Challenger also did a strong job of capturing the retro look. The Camaro and Charger were a total fail at capturing the looks. How can a Charger have 4 doors and not look anything like a classic? I'll never understand.

How can a Charger have 4 doors and not look anything like a classic? I'll never understand.
I'm not sure the new ('06+?) Chargers were ever meant to be retro..... They sure didn't look at all like any of the classics.

I remember a few years later, when they released the retro Challenger, thinking to myself that THAT's what they should have done with the new Charger!

it'll probably come back as an electric once they get the kinks out, OK, maybe that will be never.
With Ford announcing EV losses, I just do not see EV as a realistic option for the near future. I think these car companies are run by idiots who have no idea what the consumer actually wants. The public wants retro looking cars, and only 2 managed to make them, with Dodge killing the cash-cow printing press Challenger this year. They are all looking to make EVs which are not widely desired by the public. Rather than fixing the Camaro, GM is killing it. It's just crazy.

I'm not sure the new ('06+?) Chargers were ever meant to be retro..... They sure didn't look at all like any of the classics.

I remember a few years later, when they released the retro Challenger, thinking to myself that THAT's what they should have done with the new Charger!
At first … another body to put on the 300 chassis … Then came the more radical versions …

I loved the Camaro more than the Firebird by quite a bit; but that was 8 or 9 presidents ago.
I thought the 'retro Camaro' was the worst of the lot.
Then, while reading this thread, I realized that the new Charger was so disgusting, my brain simply blanked it out.
Heck, my cousin had a 2015 (first year of the "C-creased door") which I sold for him as his grandmother gave him a 1995 Camaro with a small block and a 6 speed manual. Hot stuff.

The articles both allude to the nameplate not necessarily disappearing....so who gives a $#!T.

At this stage in my life I'm more than weary of auto companies' nameplate nonsense.

The majority of their products are gadget laden crates which are marketed to gullible segments of the population.

The public wants retro looking cars, and only 2 managed to make them, with Dodge killing the cash-cow printing press Challenger this year. They are all looking to make EVs which are not widely desired by the public. Rather than fixing the Camaro, GM is killing it. It's just crazy.
SUVs and trucks are GM’s bread and butter, with the Corvette being an aspirational car - it’s the Harley of cars. Ford’s bread and butter are also trucks and SUVs. However, Ford and FCA are better at bringing retro back - but the Bronco is an SUV, the Maverick is reborn as an truck(and not the red-headed sister to the Mustang of the 1970s) and the Wagoneer is back as a more luxurious Jeep.

Said goodbye a long time ago LOL

Oh god don't do it! I bought a limited Anniversary 2002 1LE brand new factory ordered, paid like $37k. I had to sell it back in 2013 after they brought it back. 9/10 condition, 18k miles on it. Sold it for $17k and there weren't a lot of interested folks. Sure if I still had it now I would almost break even if you ignored inflation. Collector's Edition my a$$.

They will bring the Camaro back, just have to wait to build up the demand again. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that.
It will be some ugly electric CUV.

They’ve only sold about 1,900/month over the last 2 years. I wouldn’t be surprised if the current program doesn’t make any money. It’ll probably be back as a 500-1,000 HP Ultium-based performance car once higher volume Ultium vehicles are well established

Last edited:
In case you never knew Camaro in french means "a small, vicious animal that eats Mustangs."

This GUY has the only real Camaro I ever wanted.

camaro.jpg

Back