Another Ford recall.

Ford has been in product and market change hyper drive for several years. It is showing up in both positives and negatives. They've been very agile and creative with their lineup but have definitely hit some bumps along the way.

I wouldn't call myself a Ford guy but we have 6 in the immediate family and they've all been very good cars. Easily the domestic brand I'd be most likely to buy if they had something that checked my boxes when looking.

Talked to a buddy of mine in TN. yesterday. He was crying about Ford stock so I verbally reamed him and I told him not to buy Ford stock daily
for over a year. He holds stocks too long.

He comes back with i made $10k when you told me not to buy it. Oh yeah I said..what are you up now..
Down $40k we both laughed....true story...

So whatever did happen to "Quality is Job 1?"

I believe that was their slogan when I purchased a brand new Ranger in 1985. Nice looking comfortable truck and the size of pickup I wanted.

Three weeks after purchase it died on the Interstate. A faulty ECU I was told. That would be the first of four ECUs that gave up the ghost plus an assortment of other issues.

Reactions: hrv
I believe that was their slogan when I purchased a brand new Ranger in 1985. Nice looking comfortable truck and the size of pickup I wanted.

Three weeks after purchase it died on the Interstate. A faulty ECU I was told. That would be the first of four ECUs that gave up the ghost plus an assortment of other issues.
Fords in the 1980's had lots of ECU problems. My 1986 Taurus had two replaced, they both failed. The final solution was a ECU from a 1987 Taurus. Seemed that my late 1986 Taurus had lot of 1987 components and the 1987 ECU played better together.

Fords in the 1980's had lots of ECU problems. My 1986 Taurus had two replaced, they both failed. The final solution was a ECU from a 1987 Taurus. Seemed that my late 1986 Taurus had lot of 1987 components and the 1987 ECU played better together.

I believe it. Mine also blew headlights about every 6-8 months. It got so where I bought a headlight and kept it in the garage knowing I would need it.

The UAW guys have nothing to do with the engineering screwups that result in these recalls.

It's like blaming a McDonald's restaurant employee for the way McDonald's food tastes.

Those decisions are made way higher up in the food chain.
As a tech who has found the most random **** left in, not put on or installed incorrectly on brand new vehicles. I can tell you that while maybe not on an engineering level, assembly line workers definitely have something to do with quality control.

As a tech who has found the most random **** left in, not put on or installed incorrectly on brand new vehicles. I can tell you that while maybe not on an engineering level, assembly line workers definitely have something to do with quality control.
Build quality and QC on the new Explorers is poor at best. So many things wrong with them both engineering and assembly wise.

Build quality and QC on the new Explorers is poor at best. So many things wrong with them both engineering and assembly wise.
The cops haven’t been buying as many new Explorers - up here in NorCal, the smaller PDs have been buying the hybrid version but the bigger ones(CHP, SFPD, OPD and the sheriff’s departments) haven’t been.

The cops haven’t been buying as many new Explorers - up here in NorCal, the smaller PDs have been buying the hybrid version but the bigger ones(CHP, SFPD, OPD and the sheriff’s departments) haven’t been.

Phoenix went all in on Tahoes.

Remember quality is job one.....Quality goes in before the name goes on.... 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
That slogan was meant as a parting shot by Ford at Lee Iacocca after he left Ford.

"Job One" is car manufacturing lingo for the first car of a new model off the assembly line. Iacocca was known in the industry for being really driven to have "job one" roll off the assembly line on schedule, even at the expense of quality.

So the slogan "Quality is Job One" was meant as a subtle insult to Iacocca after he left for Chrysler. Doesn't make much sense, otherwise.

Reactions: hrv
That slogan was meant as a parting shot by Ford at Lee Iacocca after he left Ford.

"Job One" is car manufacturing lingo for the first car of a new model off the assembly line. Iacocca was known in the industry for being really driven to have "job one" roll off the assembly line on schedule, even at the expense of quality.

So the slogan "Quality is Job One" was meant as a subtle insult to Iacocca after he left for Chrysler. Doesn't make much sense, otherwise.
I’m curious to hear where that “parting shot by Ford at Lee Iacocca” info came from. I thought the slogan was because Ford wanted to convey that they built quality, long lasting vehicles.

"Built Ford tough"

If line workers are drinking on the job or whatever, management needs to address the problem.

I wish it was that simple but management is powerless against the union(s). That's a completely different discussion though.

Back