Another Ford recall.

Let’s be honest, recalls happen to every auto manufacturer, but Ford seems to outdo the others.
It's not the manufacturing mistake. It's how you deal with it.

Similar to my profession - aircraft maintenance. It's inevitable that mechanics will break things on airplanes. Breaking something on an airplane won't get you fired. What will get you fired is hiding the fact that you broke something. If you break something, just own up to it so it can get fixed properly.

With OEMs, some handle poor designs or manufacturing defects better than others.

An example of a poor design that was handled improperly was the PowerShift dual-clutch automatic transmission used in a lot of Foci and Fiestas from 2011-2016. They knew of the problems with the design, and pushed it through anyway, leaving the buyers holding the bag.

An example of a defect that was handled right was the Toyota Tacoma frames from the mid-2000s that were improperly coated by supplier Hino, many of which began to severely corrode, prematurely. In that case, Toyota offered to inspect customers' frames, for free, even outside the anti-corrosion warranty, and would swap the truck onto a new frame if severe rust was found. I have a 2007 Tacoma, and received a letter several years ago, instructing me to take the truck to a dealer for inspection. I did so, and luckily no bad rust was found (I've owned since new and the truck has always resided here in Tennessee).

I understand Ford wants to be like Tesla, but please...
If Tesla keeps jacking up prices by multiple 1000s of dollars as of lately, then Ford may just become the new EV king. At some point people will stop forking out big cash for cars (EV or ICE) when thier investments and 401Ks are in the dumps. A company that can build a decent affordable EV for the masses will become king of the EV hill. Thought Tesla had a goal like that, but it seems to be vaporizing.

If Tesla keeps jacking up prices by multiple 1000s of dollars as of lately, then Ford may just become the new EV king. At some point people will stop forking out big cash for cars (EV or ICE) when thier investments and 401Ks are in the dumps. A company that can build a decent affordable EV for the masses will become king of the EV hill. Thought Tesla had a goal like that, but it seems to be vaporizing.
Bingo! I"ll add: Tossing out rate increases to slow inflation is wealth destruction at its finest. However interest rate increases aren't going to stop high fuel costs which IMO is the real cause of most of the inflation. Hopefully the powers that be wake up and realize that, we have the energy right here in the good ole' US of A, and do something more with it again. It didn't mysteriously disappear with the change of the guard. If things stay the way they are the new "King" is going to be stores that sell walking shoes, bicycle shops, and auto parts stores. People won't be able to buy gas or an EV, so they'll walk, ride bikes, and fix the old clunkers to get around only when they can't walk or ride a bike. lol

On the bright side: They'll loose weight and probably live a little longer because they won't be able to afford to eat as much and will be walking and riding bikes a lot more. So there is a silver lining in all of this after all!!!

Bingo! I"ll add: Tossing out rate increases to slow inflation is wealth destruction at its finest. However interest rate increases aren't going to stop high fuel costs which IMO is the real cause of most of the inflation. Hopefully the powers that be wake up and realize that, we have the energy right here in the good ole' US of A, and do something more with it again. It didn't mysteriously disappear with the change of the guard. If things stay the way they are the new "King" is going to be stores that sell walking shoes, bicycle shops, and auto parts stores. People won't be able to buy gas or an EV, so they'll walk, ride bikes, and fix the old clunkers to get around only when they can't walk or ride a bike. lol

On the bright side: They'll loose weight and probably live a little longer because they won't be able to afford to eat as much and will be walking and riding bikes a lot more. So there is a silver lining in all of this after all!!!
I agree with the first couple of sentences, but, the rest is, a lotta wishful thinking!

I guess I am in denial. I've been to many vehicle assembly lines here in Michigan and just see regular people doing a thankless job, day after day.

That statement is telling. Most production / assembly jobs are repetitive. Management could train workers in other areas so they can change positions at a scheduled time. It all depends on how the person views that job. Part of that is on management to keep thanking and acknowledging the workers.

Imagine driving down the interstate bumper to bumper at 70+mph and your steering column comes detached and you haver no control.
Are you referring to the Tesla model Y where the lower control arms fall off? I didn't see any others regarding steering.

Are you referring to the Tesla model Y where the lower control arms fall off? I didn't see any others regarding steering.
No sir. Looking at the link now it appears it has changed and I don't remember for sure what vehicle it was talking about. Searching now it shows 1.4 million cars from Ford back in 2018.

Back