Sam's club receipt checkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My family has been shopping at Sam's Club for longer than I can remember. 20 years ago, it seemed like they just took a highlighter drew a line down the receipt. Now, at the same store, they seem to be a lot more diligent. Since we're often doing both personal and church shopping at the same time, we usually have two receipts and they have stopped us if we inadvertently handed them one.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I absolutely do not allow a person to check my receipt at any store I go to.... besides Sam's club. Its part of the membership contract, so I allow the dog and pony show. Actually, I use scan and go at Sam's and bypass the checkout lines, which is incredibly convenient. I hope more stores go to that.

But Wal-Mart or any other store is not checking my receipt. I paid for the items. They belong to me. I do not have to prove ownership to someone. If you think I have shoplifted and you believe you have probably cause to detain me, then go ahead and do that and we will file a police report for false imprisonment when the cops get here.

This is absolutely correct, legally you as a customer do not have to show your receipt as you exit a store unless it is stated so as part of your contract, such as Costco, Sam's Club.

Now, the real reason they are checking your receipt at the door? Its not because they think "You" might have stole something! They are more concerned with their own staff/cashiers not ringing up an item or two for a friend of theirs. That's it...I'm not going to do any research on the % of theft loss due to employee's, but its pretty high! For instance, I know someone that works at Walmart, he says that management thinks and treats all employees as if they are stealing from the company.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
I know some of you will think this idea nuts, but by the letter of the law, all the receipt checkers can legally do is look at the line items on the receipt and that the price charged was correct. They cannot dig thru your cart and handle your goods. It’s a fourth amendment violation, because these stores have trained loss prevention teams and cameras. If they suspected you of conversion, the most they could do legally is detain you until law enforcement arrived to review the alleged evidence and investigate. It is none of their d@mn business what you buy at their store. And on the off chance that the clerk DID miss scanning something, as long as you did not knowingly conceal anything for the purpose of stealing it, the only recourse the business has is to recover the loss from their employee, not you. If you got something “for free” and didn’t try to return it for monetary gain, it’s the business’s responsibility to control their inventory. BTW I’m in no way condoning theft but I stand by my statement it is the business’s responsibility.

This is how our rights are eroded- small, simple things that make the masses believe letting a complete stranger search your personal effects is OK... then we get things like ‘sneak & peek’ and nobody realizes constitutional protections have just been subverted right under our noses.

Unbelievable......

Last edited:
I walk out of there with a lot of empty boxes in the cart with everything else. Sometimes they check inside the empty boxes, sometimes they don't.

I had complained about the wait to a checker while he was successfully pitching a customer to upgrade to the premium account. While I as finally getting check checked out, that customer came back to the cashier. He reported that the door checker had found one of the items was not on his receipt. When I got to the door, the receipt checker asked if I had one or two of the most expensive items on the bill. I only had one, and went to customer service counter.

I should have taken notes on the two employees and made a complement and a complaint. Next time.

Maybe it's just passive aggressive but whenever they asked to see mine I just keep my cart rolling slowly passed them so I reach backwards to grab the receipt from them. Other people seem to come to a complete stop.

While I was at BJ's once there was a line to get out of the store. I only had 2 items so I felt it was ridiculous and went around to bypass the line. The guy stopped my cart with his foot and I pointed to the sign that said we may ask to see the receipt and I told him my answer was no. He grabbed my receipt anyway, check it off and away I went.

I would not think a Wal mart could do it since it is not a club and the customer does not sign a contract. I only go to WAlmart maybe once or twice per year, but I would tell Wal Mart "No , have a nice day." if Wal mart ever tries that with me.

I do not really mind it at Sam's as they are just going through the motions, basically. Besides no one is a greeter/reciept checker at Sam's because they are rich and their lives are going well. Unless they are upper management,most employees of a Sam's are likely struggling financially themselves. I just find it almost hilarious that they pretend to count items, when everyone knows that it is for show, nothing more. I don’t need to prove ownership of something I just purchased and in my state at least (unless you are at a membership store and have agreed to it by joining.A non membership store like a Wal Mart or Shopko could ask for a reciept I suppose, but you have no legal obligation to show them and you would be well within your rights to politely refuse. Here in Nebraska the only 2 member stores as far as I know, are Sam's and Costco. I am not a Costco member so not sure if Costco has that in the contract or not. I do know that Sam's does because my wife just renewed our membership a few weeks back.

I agree, If they have evidence then by all means investigate and detain if need be. But to detain a customer that just spent money at your business with no cause, is outrageous and a bad business practice. A membership store like Sam's can check reciept by contract that customer agreed to. A non member type store like Wal Mart Shopko or Target would have a have the right to ask for a receipt, and I have the right to refuse. They do not have the right to detain a customer without cause.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
They look a lot closer when there's a TV or other expensive item in the cart.

This. It's also a delay tactic in case security needs to have a word with you. It may also deter theft as you know you may be caught.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
I agree, If they have evidence then by all means investigate and detain if need be. But to detain a customer that just spent money at your business with no cause, is outrageous and a bad business practice. A membership store like Sam's can check reciept by contract that customer agreed to. A non member type store like Wal Mart Shopko or Target would have a have the right to ask for a receipt, and I have the right to refuse. They do not have the right to detain a customer without cause.

it depends on what the meaning of "cause" is.

That sounds like something Bill Clinton once said. Except he said it depended what "is" was or something similar. LOL!!

This is a non issue for me. I've been going to our Sam's Club for so long most of the employees recognize me and my family. I figure the 15 - 20 seconds it takes them to look over my receipt is a fine time to chat - ask them how they are, etc.

I have had one person who found a mistake on my receipt, I was charged for 2 gallons of milk when I only bought one. Went to service desk and got a prompt refund.

Years ago a Walmart close to me would ask to see your receipt at the door, but quit doing this after a short time. I'm not sure why.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc

Years ago a Walmart close to me would ask to see your receipt at the door, but quit doing this after a short time. I'm not sure why.

I maybe go to Wal-Mart once a month or so. I've found that they seem to check receipts around Christmas time, but not really any other time.

I read this whole thread.

My take is that the "receipt check" upon exit is so brief as to be ridiculous.

I'm all for the historical development and specificities of law PARTICULARLY MY RIGHTS but where I live the "check" is 4 seconds TOPS.

Wanna hear something unexpected? You do? GOOD. I've been around and I've heard all the regional insults in the book. I'm from New Jersey (near NYC) and people's mouths are full of mean things to say about us.
If you ask me, me and my neighbors are the best equipped to deal with interpersonal stuff of all.

Ever been in Punkusville and have some dirt bag hide behind a job description?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back