Safety and such...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just trying to separate the good guys from the bad.

Sorry you are no help.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: totegoat
When you see those clothed in black, head to toe, carrying an AK or AR coming into your meeting/gathering or walking down your hall/sidewalk etc. do you shoot for the head and hope they aren't SWAT?

If you cant tell the difference between some terrorist and legitimate police officers, I can't help you.

Pro Tip- If the person is shooting wildly INTO a crowd of people/victims, there is a 99.99 chance that is not a legit police officer.

Pro Tip 2- The weapon of choice for terrorist is the AK-47 rifle. There are probably less than 50 officers in the entire country that carry an AK-47 as a patrol rifle. Most others will be carrying an AR-15, Mini 14, or Remington 870 style long gun. To anti-gun folks this doesn't mean much as they think an Ak-47 = Glock = AR15 = baby killing machine guns.

He's being a stinker, but he brings up a valid thought process (I haven't once read of this happening, mind you): what happens when armed civilians are firing back on the bad guys when the cops show up. Ideally, the civilian will put his or her gun down immediately when directed to, but the risk is there, that the, adrenaline pumping and nervous, never having been in a shoot-out, turns toward the officer(s) or reacts poorly (unintentionally aggressively) and loses his or her life for it.

I agree, though, that I'd guess that the difference between a bad guy and a good guy would be rather obvious.

Didn't the freaks in CA have AR's?

They weren't freaks...they were radical Islamic terrorists. Yes they had AR rifles.

I'm just trying to separate the good guys from the bad.

I don't doubt that if you live in Cali. Tough to tell.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

He's being a stinker, but he brings up a valid thought process (I haven't once read of this happening, mind you): what happens when armed civilians are firing back on the bad guys when the cops show up.

Very good question, but that was covered several times in my NRA class. The instructor was very clear about either holstering or putting down your weapon when the police show up. He was also emphatic about being first to call 911, describe yourself and then obey any police commands.

He also suggested that the idea behind concealed carry was personal protection of you and your family only and not to intercede into any other fights. Always retreat when possible and only use your weapon when all other options are gone.

I keep all my guns chambered and ready. My kids are adults now. 17 and 18. My son left home and moved away, I gave him a 9mm before he left. He kept in his room. I gave my daughter a Colt Police Positive .38 she keeps loaded by her bed. I have a HK USP in my nightstand loaded. A 12 gauge under the bed, not loaded but a shell carrier on it and a AR by the bed, with a 30 Rd mag in it loaded, and two more in a pouch by the floor. Affectionately painted "Mashed Taters" on it. So if the cops get the wrong house and kick in this door, it may get ugly quick. My entire life growing up, I remember as a kid, my dad had a.357 loaded in a holster hanging on his bed post like Old West. He showed it to me a very young age and I knew not to touch it. Showed me how to see its loaded etc.. I was probably around 8 or younger. Teach your kids. I want them as my back-up. Its a shame that we now live in a culture where we try to hide guns from kids and think we need biometric safes etc.. Teach your kids about guns. Think terrorists don't teach kids about guns?

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
All I can say is that it must really suck to live in fear all the time.

AndPDan,
So we can assume that you drive wearing seat belts? ride a bike with a helmet?

If you do any of the above? what are you afraid of?

Usually, only real terrorists use an AK, so I will shoot them first.

watching too many movies bro,
what do think a burgler will fear more
the sound of a pump action shotgun? or an ak being chambered?
;-)

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I keep all my guns chambered and ready. My kids are adults now. 17 and 18. My son left home and moved away, I gave him a 9mm before he left. He kept in his room. I gave my daughter a Colt Police Positive .38 she keeps loaded by her bed. I have a HK USP in my nightstand loaded. A 12 gauge under the bed, not loaded but a shell carrier on it and a AR by the bed, with a 30 Rd mag in it loaded, and two more in a pouch by the floor. Affectionately painted "Mashed Taters" on it. So if the cops get the wrong house and kick in this door, it may get ugly quick. My entire life growing up, I remember as a kid, my dad had a.357 loaded in a holster hanging on his bed post like Old West. He showed it to me a very young age and I knew not to touch it. Showed me how to see its loaded etc.. I was probably around 8 or younger. Teach your kids. I want them as my back-up. Its a shame that we now live in a culture where we try to hide guns from kids and think we need biometric safes etc.. Teach your kids about guns. Think terrorists don't teach kids about guns?

Wow. You must live in fear! So sad !!!!

Oh wait, I wish you were my neighbor! Where's the "like" button for your post?

My entire life growing up, I remember as a kid, my dad had a.357 loaded in a holster hanging on his bed post like Old West. He showed it to me a very young age and I knew not to touch it. Showed me how to see its loaded etc.. I was probably around 8 or younger. Teach your kids. I want them as my back-up. Its a shame that we now live in a culture where we try to hide guns from kids and think we need biometric safes etc.. Teach your kids about guns. Think terrorists don't teach kids about guns?

My son is only two buy I will buy him his own bolt action .22 when he is 5 or 6 and spend a lot of time at the range with him. Guns will not be taboo in my household. The kids will know that they can fondle and touch the guns whenever dad is around if they want. Teach em that they are tools that should be respected, like a sharp knife or a chainsaw. Kids have a natural curiosity and if you tell them "Don't touch that", they are going to touch it. Remove the curiosity early and they will be much safer around them.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
what do think a burgler will fear more
the sound of a pump action shotgun? or an ak being chambered?
;-)

He won't hear my pump action shotgun -- it's already loaded.

Originally Posted By: Doog

They weren't freaks...they were radical Islamic terrorists. Yes they had AR rifles.

Freaks behave or cause to behave in a wild and irrational way, typically because of the effects of extreme emotion, mental illness, or drugs.

So yes they were freaks, but thanks to the PD, they are now good freaks.

I always keep my guns chambered. That is one less thing I have to think about if I need to use them.

I view a gun as a tool and not something to have because I'm scared. It's Nice to have if I need it but hopefully never have to use it for protection.

I work in Law Enforcement so my perspective may be different from others. I deal with the people who do bad things to others so I know what the reality can be.

I've been affected first hand. One of my sisters was murdered in 2006 by her boyfriend. I'm not saying a gun would have saved her for sure but it would have at least given her a chance.

Here are a few cases I can think of that could happen to any one of us. I'm sure these people never expected these crimes to happen to them.
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/emotionless-hilton-describes-killing-meredith-emer/nFB9j/

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/08/...l-never-forget/
http://www.newsweek.com/2015/09/11/cheshire-murders-suburban-safety-crime-366889.html
My mom has met the sister of the woman killed in this case.

There are many more cases like these that are not as well known but that happens across the country all the time but most people don't pay attention because it doesn't affect them.

Originally Posted By: billt460
This whole, "You carry a gun because you live in the state of fear", concept is a ruse perpetuated by the libtards and anti's. They can't accept facts, so they go to insults and personal attacks right away. They themselves possess zero common sense, and this type of nonsense proves it. After all, would you be more fearful when you ran into an attacker if you had a gun, or if you didn't? They just can't figure out that part.

Is this a case of the kettle calling the pot black? People that don't agree with you get labeled and insulted. Chill out, keep your guns and go about your business. When I do talk to folks that don't have any personal experience with guns, I make sure to keep an even keel and mention the correlation between dropping crime rates and increased gun ownership. Remember the old saw about catching more flies with honey than with vinegar?

Its a shame that we now live in a culture where we try to hide guns from kids and think we need biometric safes etc.. Teach your kids about guns. Think terrorists don't teach kids about guns?

I agree but we live in a culture where your kid is constantly asked if there is any "danger" in the house. I keep my guns locked up because I trust my kids but not their friends. When I go to work I like to know that none of their friends have access to any weapons that are my responsibility. My wife and I are not always there to make certain. So I err on the side of caution.

Terrorists teach their kids that being a martyr is sanctioned by God. Very different.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog

Freaks behave or cause to behave in a wild and irrational way, typically because of the effects of extreme emotion, mental illness, or drugs.

So yes they were freaks, but thanks to the PD, they are now good freaks.

They were nothing more than radical Islamic terrorists on a religious violent jihad. Now they are considered martyrs by their own people. Not freaks. There are a lot more where they came from too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2cool
Is this a case of the kettle calling the pot black? People that don't agree with you get labeled and insulted. Chill out, keep your guns and go about your business. When I do talk to folks that don't have any personal experience with guns, I make sure to keep an even keel and mention the correlation between dropping crime rates and increased gun ownership. Remember the old saw about catching more flies with honey than with vinegar?

Stop. Just stop. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. People who are ignorant about guns, and insulting to gun owners in general, along with why they are needed for self protection in society are just that. Ignorant. It's not my will, or my job to try to educate or convince them otherwise. Most all cannot be changed in their thinking, nor do they want to be.

Most liberals who hate guns are the ones who become insulting. Far more than gun owners. After 63 years of living, I'm sick and tired of it. I could care less what happens to them. If someone is insulting to me based on foolish and stupid thinking, I'm sure as he!! not going to, "treat them sweet". If you choose to, then knock yourself out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back