Safety and such...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Always keep loaded magazines in your guns. NEVER keep a bullet chambered in them.

My home defense handgun is a revolver with a NY reload...
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
For the gun owners, how many of you are trained and maintain proficiency?

I haven't fired a weapon in almost a decade, and wouldn't feel comfortable keeping a weapon in the house unless I spent a good deal of time at the range.

I would also keep the weapon in a safe, so my son can't access it. If someone breaks in I feel like I'd have time to get to it. If not, then other options might work better in close quarters.

Get a bio-metric handgun safe (
This safe is pretty good

http://www.amazon.com/LockSAF-PBS-001-Lo...afe+fingerprint

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
For the gun owners, how many of you are trained and maintain proficiency?

I haven't fired a weapon in almost a decade, and wouldn't feel comfortable keeping a weapon in the house unless I spent a good deal of time at the range.

I would also keep the weapon in a safe, so my son can't access it. If someone breaks in I feel like I'd have time to get to it. If not, then other options might work better in close quarters.

Get a bio-metric handgun safe (
This safe is pretty good

http://www.amazon.com/LockSAF-PBS-001-Lo...afe+fingerprint

I didn't even think about biometric safes - great idea.

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
All I can say is that it must really suck to live in fear all the time.

Couldn't agree more. Firearms are tools, and keep you prepared for the unexpected. Just like keeping a set of jumper cables in the car, in case the battery goes dead. With the jumper cables, I'm not fearful of running out of juice. Just like keeping a tire plug kit in the car; I'm not fearful of a puncture, because I have the tool to address it. Just like having my computer on a battery backup/surge protector; I'm not fearful of a power outage or surge -- the tool I've put in place will protect the equipment.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Couldn't agree more. Firearms are tools, and keep you prepared for the unexpected. Just like keeping a set of jumper cables in the car, in case the battery goes dead. With the jumper cables, I'm not fearful of running out of juice. Just like keeping a tire plug kit in the car; I'm not fearful of a puncture, because I have the tool to address it. Just like having my computer on a battery backup/surge protector; I'm not fearful of a power outage or surge -- the tool I've put in place will protect the equipment.
I like this explanation
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i would not know how it is to live in fear i have everything covered as you can see by my list... But you should always be ready just in case... I live in a very safe gated community in a very nice area but you never know!
Both my wife and i carry when we go out these days..I started again in May she never leaves her heater home.

How do you carry in NJ?

This whole, "You carry a gun because you live in the state of fear", concept is a ruse perpetuated by the libtards and anti's. They can't accept facts, so they go to insults and personal attacks right away. They themselves possess zero common sense, and this type of nonsense proves it. After all, would you be more fearful when you ran into an attacker if you had a gun, or if you didn't? They just can't figure out that part.

But what really sucks is you trolling this forum.
Trolling.gif
Trolling.gif
Trolling.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: billt460
This whole, "You carry a gun because you live in the state of fear", concept is a ruse perpetuated by the libtards and anti's. They can't accept facts, so they go to insults and personal attacks right away. They themselves possess zero common sense, and this type of nonsense proves it. After all, would you be more fearful when you ran into an attacker if you had a gun, or if you didn't? They just can't figure out that part.

Firstly, I'm a moderate conservative. I qualified sharp shooter around a decade ago, but haven't held a firearm since then, though I plan to own a gun in the future, for two reasons, sport and safety.

Secondly, who is attacking whom? Except for your rant, I see none. Some choose to own a gun due to a perceived risk or fear - it's literally implied in the context of the thread. Some fear and caution (an appropriate amount) is prudent.

Finally, I disagree with a lot of what liberal, PC media says, but no one is nastier than a hawkish conservative bully.

Last edited:
And doing things out of preparation is different than doing things out of fear, as well. We all carry either a spare tire of a can of fix-a-flat. Not because we live in fear of running over a nail, but to be prepared in case we do. I presume that we all wear seatbelts when we drive. Not because we live in fear of a collision, but to be prepared in case we do.

I think some preparation situations are driven out of some level of fear of what the outcome would be without that said preparation. For instance, people may pack a weapon because they can visualize what a situation might be if they didn't pack the weapon. Or same could be said for preparing food and water for a natural disaster. If the outcome involves life a threatening situation, then fear could certainly be part of the preparation equation.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I think some preparation situations are driven out of some level of fear of what the outcome would be without that said preparation.

I am really not afraid to admit its fear. Yes, I fear to be a victim. There...I've said it.

For me, the precauctions I take depend largely on the risk.

For instance, we live in an area where there is a possibility of a major earthquake. We WILL be struck by a quake, but typically they are 1 in 500 year events. Add to that, not evey house is compleatly destroyed in the zone (not every home is in the epicentre), and we are not high risk ie. Not low waterfront or highrise.
That said, we do take precautions, but mainly we prepare for a multitude of types of disasters/major inconveniences.
We keep batteries and candles, propane, tin food etc.

What we dont do is bolt furnature to the wall or attend earthquake preparedness meetings.

I don't expect to come through a quake unscathed having had a reasonable time of it. But we [censored] what events may occur, weigh that against the probability of them occuring, then plan preperations as to what we could tolerate in the (unlikely, in my lifetime) event.

If for instance I lived in downtown San Francisco, I might take more precautions, OR, maybe more to the point, plan on moving if I thought the likelihood too high.

Because, even if you are well prepared, who wants the hassel!

Originally Posted By: expat
If for instance I lived in downtown San Francisco, I might take more precautions,.......

If I lived in San Francisco I would live in fear. And it wouldn't be from the criminal element.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Some choose to own a gun due to a perceived risk or fear..

Risk and fear are two different things. Look them up.

'Choose' and 'own' are two different things, too. I'm not sure I understand your point.

Ah, I see, you got defensive, thinking I was calling you a scaredy cat. I understand now.

In all seriousness, risk and fear are NOT mutually exclusive. It takes a real man to admit he fears things, evaluates the risk of occurrence and consequence there of, and takes prudent precautions to prevent and/or mitigate each.

I'm afraid of being stabbed or robbed; however, the risk here where I live is nil, so the precautions required to prevent or mitigate me being stabbed or robbed are N/A.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
And doing things out of preparation is different than doing things out of fear, as well. We all carry either a spare tire of a can of fix-a-flat. Not because we live in fear of running over a nail, but to be prepared in case we do. I presume that we all wear seatbelts when we drive. Not because we live in fear of a collision, but to be prepared in case we do.

Exactly. It's just plain common sense to take precautions.

When you see those clothed in black, head to toe, carrying an AK or AR coming into your meeting/gathering or walking down your hall/sidewalk etc. do you shoot for the head and hope they aren't SWAT?

Originally Posted By: totegoat
When you see those clothed in black, head to toe, carrying an AK or AR coming into your meeting/gathering or walking down your hall/sidewalk etc. do you shoot for the head and hope they aren't SWAT?

If you cant tell the difference between some terrorist and legitimate police officers, I can't help you.

Pro Tip- If the person is shooting wildly INTO a crowd of people/victims, there is a 99.99 chance that is not a legit police officer.

Pro Tip 2- The weapon of choice for terrorist is the AK-47 rifle. There are probably less than 50 officers in the entire country that carry an AK-47 as a patrol rifle. Most others will be carrying an AR-15, Mini 14, or Remington 870 style long gun. To anti-gun folks this doesn't mean much as they think an Ak-47 = Glock = AR15 = baby killing machine guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back