Sig 365 - always prove your weapon

Hard to know - but I do know that ammunition production has been under tremendous pressure. Shutdowns. Bankruptcies. Unprecedented demand. Expansion. I wouldn’t be surprised if there have been some quality control challenges in the production of ammunition since, oh, about March of 2020. Might be the case, here.

The Geco I bought recently has been flawless. First time with that brand. Hungarian, I think. Works well.

American Eagle has always worked well for me, too.
Doesn’t seem like Federal hurt AE any - always a good value …

Given how much practice I do, I only buy lead-free these days. Federal 70gr, usually. If a gun won’t run what I shoot, I get rid of it.

I have absolutely zero interest in finicky guns. I don’t care what I’m shooting, I care how well I’m shooting it. If it doesn’t perform well for me, either because it malfs or negatively affects my split times, it’s gone. They are tools and if they don’t perform their job flawlessly in my hands then I ain’t got time for them.

That being said I do allow for maintenance related issues once I am confident in a particular example, as long as performance resumes after maintenance.

I love my 365XL. Probably put 1000 rounds through it so far since December, some Sig 365 9mm 115grain, some Hornady critical defense, but mostly magtech and reloaded RangeUSA store ammo with no failure yet. I also meticulously clean it after every shoot though (infantry habits). I hope for no failures at all like our firearms in the military.
I am not meticulous about cleaning guns at all… Engineer habits. Lol. I’m OK with failures here and there overtime. As things get used, they can wear out and problems can arise. But if a gun catastrophically fails out of the box, I’m gonna take issue with it. When you have to fix stuff for a living, you don’t want to fix stuff in your personal life… or at least I don’t anyways.

Out of direct experience with 3 separate 365s, none worked properly out of the box. I am of the very unpopular opinion that Sig is a marketing company first and rushes products to market with inadequate R&D.
I’m genuinely surprised by that.

I bought a P365XL after trying a friend’s.

Hers was flawless. Mine has been flawless. Runs on everything I’ve tried. Even Magtech.

Another friend just bought a P365XL. We had it at the range yesterday.

Flawless.

How recent was your purchase? Early model, or recent? P365 or XL?

Wondering if perhaps they’ve gotten better.

Or if the XL is better.

I’m genuinely surprised by that.

I bought a P365XL after trying a friend’s.

Hers was flawless. Mine has been flawless. Runs on everything I’ve tried. Even Magtech.

Another friend just bought a P365XL. We had it at the range yesterday.

Flawless.

How recent was your purchase? Early model, or recent? P365 or XL?

Wondering if perhaps they’ve gotten better.

Or if the XL is better.
Two standard ones, one XL. This was back about 5 years ago, so maybe they’ve improved things since. I’ve washed my hands of modern Sigs though.

Unfortunate, I have a p365 with 500+ rounds from various manufacturers and styles with zero malfunctions. I also have the Ruger Max 9, Shield Plus and the Hellcat. I have shot them all to various degrees and so far the Ruger is the best fit for me.

Grip angle, texture, ergonomics, trigger pull, and other small factors can add up.

An example - which I’ve mentioned before - My neighbor’s Glock 42. A very small gun in .380 ACP. Typical Glock grip angle and ergonomics. Felt great in my hand.

Hated it.

What an irritating little gun. Too small for me to get my pinky on it, too light, and the recoil impulse, and sights back on target, was worse than any of my .40s or .45s.

Didn’t know that until I tried it out.

She bought it without trying it out. Then, she complained about malfunctions, and when I saw her shoot it, I could see why - her grip wasn’t strong enough, and she was really letting it push her around - the recoil was flipping the gun up, and that caused the malfunctions.

It was 100% reliable for me.

On paper, this gun would have been great for me, size, capacity, and what I thought would be the recoil from the .380 cartridge. I own quite a few other Glocks, and like the ergonomics, but I really didn’t like it this one.

So, until you shoot a gun, you just don’t know how the change in multiple minor factors will add up - might be a great gun.

Or it might not.
Couldn't agree more. I got a Glock 43 when they first came out and was so excited. Everything about that gun was fantastic...until I shot it! Absolutely hated it! Recoil beat up my trigger finger. Traded it for a Shield with a friend. He hated the Shield and loved the 43 so it was a win.

Kinda the same with the Canik TP9 Elite SC I bought last year. I heard nothing but great things about it but I just don't like shooting it.

It's a nice thing to have and wasn't expensive so moving it on may not be worth it, but owning it really does nothing for me.

I agree - but still, things happen. It's generally accepted that Glock makes a fine pistol, but still, at a 1000 rounds or so, yours broke. Maybe "wear and tear" wasn't the right term to use but my point still remains.

From what I've seen, experienced and read, I think that 200-500 rounds (with your choice of carry ammo) is a reasonable amount of usage to determine if your pea shooter is going to be reliable. After that, any "good" gun should run pretty much indefinitely - unless you have a breakage or wear a part out.
I agree. To your point, there is a line whereas the gun will break, who knows where that would be. Years ago, I taught firearms related classes, and this conversation would come up about life expectancy and so on. I think that if this a variable that you dont want to be an issue, have two guns: validate one, and train with the other, then flip flop. You of course need two of the same guns. But assuming both check out, you have two, one in service and one in storage. Not fun or cool, but practical and effective. Most people in their life will not wear out a quality pistol.

I am not meticulous about cleaning guns at all… Engineer habits. Lol. I’m OK with failures here and there overtime. As things get used, they can wear out and problems can arise. But if a gun catastrophically fails out of the box, I’m gonna take issue with it. When you have to fix stuff for a living, you don’t want to fix stuff in your personal life… or at least I don’t anyways.

I 100% agree, I'm the same way with not wanting to work on computers when I get home. I definitely wouldn't trust any firearm that fails, especially that early.

Kinda the same with the Canik TP9 Elite SC I bought last year. I heard nothing but great things about it but I just don't like shooting it.

It's a nice thing to have and wasn't expensive so moving it on may not be worth it, but owning it really does nothing for me.
What is it about your Canik that you don't like? I admit that the ergos aren't quite as nice as some of the others out there, but it fits well enough in my hand and I shoot well with it.

I agree. To your point, there is a line whereas the gun will break, who knows where that would be. Years ago, I taught firearms related classes, and this conversation would come up about life expectancy and so on. I think that if this a variable that you dont want to be an issue, have two guns: validate one, and train with the other, then flip flop. You of course need two of the same guns. But assuming both check out, you have two, one in service and one in storage. Not fun or cool, but practical and effective. Most people in their life will not wear out a quality pistol.
That's definitely a level above what I would personally do. Perhaps I'm wrong in thinking it, but breakages (outside of known issues on a specific platform) seem like a very hard thing to predict and about as common (and random for that matter) as getting struck by lightening or winning the lottery. I'm willing to accept the risk that my gun may fail. My mental model of that would be akin to the holes in the swiss cheese lining up failure. The odds of me having to use my gun to protect myself or others is very, very small. The odds that my pistol will fail are also very small.. And since currently all of my shooting is for fun or practice, IF it did fail, it would most likely fail during a non critical time.

I have a friend who is a handgun buff...he has 16 or maybe now 18 of them (he has several Sigs but recently told me he bought his first Glocks). I've gone to the range with him and fired several of his and the one I liked the best was his Ruger LC9. It's the size I would get for CC and fit my hand perfectly.

NY is very unfriendly to legal gun owners and as many of you know it's 10 rounds max which rules out many options.....it's also illegal to carry in NYC (even with a carry permit from other NY counties) which is where I would really need one for self defense (even the police aren't safe in NYC as witnessed by recent news events)...I do like the idea of a small revolver but the extra few rounds and ability to change magazines quickly are a plus for the pistol.

PS: I would prefer to own one CC weapon and know it inside out (instinctively)....my friend carries a different pistol regularly (he lives in Florida now). I'd be concerned about the location of the safety, mag release etc...being different on each pistol making split second movements just that much slower. To make an analogy to cars....I instinctively reach for the heat, AC etc...on my everyday driver and sometimes when I drive my wifes or kids cars I reach to that spot and it's not there....

The odds of me having to use my gun to protect myself or others is very, very small. The odds that my pistol will fail are also very small.. And since currently all of my shooting is for fun or practice, IF it did fail, it would most likely fail during a non critical time.
That is true. And I hope that either one does not come knocking, especially at the same time.

What is it about your Canik that you don't like? I admit that the ergos aren't quite as nice as some of the others out there, but it fits well enough in my hand and I shoot well with it.
Caniks have a very narrow area cut deeply into the grip where your thumb and the meat of your trigger finger rest. It makes an otherwise 'fat' grip feel very narrow but only up top, and I find it distracting for some reason. I've since realized I prefer straight, flat, slab-sided grips more than ergonomic ones. Basic, boring and ugly Polymer80 frames feel great in my hand for example. Glocks too.

I know a machine shop here in the USA who makes various Sig parts.
Got me wondering if they went this route because of issues above or because they were behind in production. The shop I know is a very high quality shop.

I also know a few gents that got hired at Sig for engineering and that was disappointing.

Caniks have a very narrow area cut deeply into the grip where your thumb and the meat of your trigger finger rest. It makes an otherwise 'fat' grip feel very narrow but only up top, and I find it distracting for some reason. I've since realized I prefer straight, flat, slab-sided grips more than ergonomic ones. Basic, boring and ugly Polymer80 frames feel great in my hand for example. Glocks too.
Gotcha - I'm pretty much the opposite since I have a smaller hand. I like smaller grips or ones with reliefs that allow me a good grip without having to crank my hand around it to get fingers where they oughta go

Back