Sig 365 - always prove your weapon

Wonder how the OPs 365 is.
I haven’t gone shooting since it was repaired. Just been too busy with work, family, and other things… not a huge priority at the moment. It is still sitting the safe and I’m carrying other guns. Since it is getting hot here in Texas, the LCP in the front pocket has been the go-to.

I had a charter arms 38 lock up on me once. It was pretty scary because I couldn’t get the cylinder open and it still had live rounds in it. Not fun. Some people act as though revolvers are completely impervious to issues. And that is not the case.

In my opinion, anyone who thinks any gun is
impervious to issues doesn’t shoot enough.
Revolvers can be quite delicate and jams are hard to clear .

I have never been a SIG fan, but they make some of the best guns in the world, no doubt. Validation of YOUR particular gun is much better when you need it than its reputation. All makers have mistakes. Glad you found your issue, before it was too late.

100% on the validation.

Before I would trust my life to a particular firearm, I make certain that that firearm, and its magazines, and my intended ammunition, all function together flawlessly.

Even in a gun like a Glock, or an Sig, that is known for reliability, I need to know, for certain, that that gun, that magazine, and that ammo all work properly together.

Which is why I don’t just buy a box of defensive ammo, I bought a case of Federal HST, a couple years back. Every carry gun is a 9 mm, and every carry gun shoots that ammo without flaw or failure. I was running low on the HST, so I bought another case. 1000 rounds.

Because it isn’t enough to have a box or two for carry, I need a couple more boxes to validate operation.

This is one thing that many people miss. They buy the gun and some good ammo, from advice from youtube, or some online gun site, and never put the three elements together: gun, ammo, mags. In my experience, and defensive gun needs 1000 rounds of standard ammo through it to validate its performance. Defensive ammo like HST is about the best you can buy, but it is expensive. There I can see where an individual may not have the funds to drop $1200 in ammo through a $500 Glock. Unfortunately, that is what it can take.

I had a Glock 19, which ran great, after 1000 or so, the trigger started to fail to reset. The rear trigger housing had cracked near the "disconnector" bar, and it would create a dead trigger condition. Happened maybe once every 10 rounds.

Kind of forgot about this thread to be honest…

2nd Update: Sold the gun after I had it repaired under warranty and made sure it functioned properly. I didn’t end up keeping it because I know myself. I’d always be thinking about that failure regardless of how well it performed afterwards. It is just my mental hang up though no dig at the gun.

Funny enough this thread popped back up, I was actually thinking of getting a Shield 9mm soon. Hoping to fill the gap between the G19 and LCP that the Sig was supposed to fill.

More to come I guess.

Reactions: Pew
Kind of forgot about this thread to be honest…

2nd Update: Sold the gun after I had it repaired under warranty and made sure it functioned properly. I didn’t end up keeping it because I know myself. I’d always be thinking about that failure regardless of how well it performed afterwards. It is just my mental hang up though no dig at the gun.

Funny enough this thread popped back up, I was actually thinking of getting a Shield 9mm soon. Hoping to fill the gap between the G19 and LCP that the Sig was supposed to fill.

More to come I guess.
There are a couple of more offerings in that size, now. FN has a new one. Walther has a new one. Springfield has the Hellcat.

Try them all. How it feels at the counter, and how it feels at the range, can be quite different, and there are a lot of choices in the market today.

There are a couple of more offerings in that size, now. FN has a new one. Walther has a new one. Springfield has the Hellcat.

Try them all. How it feels at the counter, and how it feels at the range, can be quite different, and there are a lot of choices in the market today.
Yeah I don’t know. I have wanted a Shield for a while but keep putting it on the back burner for other guns… I think I’m just gonna get it this time.

I don’t really need to try it before I buy it. I’ve never really understood the “I don’t like the way this gun feels…” thing. I can shoot pretty much anything well. It is kind of like driving the car, yeah the nuances change, but you either know how to drive or you do not. Imagine if somebody said “oh, I can drive a Ford great, but in a GM, I’m all over the road…”

This is one thing that many people miss. They buy the gun and some good ammo, from advice from youtube, or some online gun site, and never put the three elements together: gun, ammo, mags. In my experience, and defensive gun needs 1000 rounds of standard ammo through it to validate its performance. Defensive ammo like HST is about the best you can buy, but it is expensive. There I can see where an individual may not have the funds to drop $1200 in ammo through a $500 Glock. Unfortunately, that is what it can take.

I had a Glock 19, which ran great, after 1000 or so, the trigger started to fail to reset. The rear trigger housing had cracked near the "disconnector" bar, and it would create a dead trigger condition. Happened maybe once every 10 rounds.
I get what you're saying and agree that you need to validate a carry pistol, mag and ammo combination but looking at it a different way, at those round counts, you could very well run into issues with wear and tear in about any pistol platform. They are all simply machines and machines wear and break with use, even good ones. Fortunately for me, all of my pistols have been super reliable right out of the box - I think the only exception has been my Remington 1911. I had a couple of failures early on (like maybe 2 or 3) with it but it's been great since. My P365 has been great with zero failures until I replaced the slide and added an RMR. When I went out to shoot it, I had a few failures, but admittedly, I used some 115grn Magtech, which I'd never used before. When I switched back to my usual Winchester 124grn NATO, I haven't had any issues since. Needless to say I'll be putting some more of both through it to see how it responds.

Yeah I don’t know. I have wanted a Shield for a while but keep putting it on the back burner for other guns… I think I’m just gonna get it this time.

I don’t really need to try it before I buy it. I’ve never really understood the “I don’t like the way this gun feels…” thing. I can shoot pretty much anything well. It is kind of like driving the car, yeah the nuances change, but you either know how to drive or you do not. Imagine if somebody said “oh, I can drive a Ford great, but in a GM, I’m all over the road…”
Grip angle, texture, ergonomics, trigger pull, and other small factors can add up.

An example - which I’ve mentioned before - My neighbor’s Glock 42. A very small gun in .380 ACP. Typical Glock grip angle and ergonomics. Felt great in my hand.

Hated it.

What an irritating little gun. Too small for me to get my pinky on it, too light, and the recoil impulse, and sights back on target, was worse than any of my .40s or .45s.

Didn’t know that until I tried it out.

She bought it without trying it out. Then, she complained about malfunctions, and when I saw her shoot it, I could see why - her grip wasn’t strong enough, and she was really letting it push her around - the recoil was flipping the gun up, and that caused the malfunctions.

It was 100% reliable for me.

On paper, this gun would have been great for me, size, capacity, and what I thought would be the recoil from the .380 cartridge. I own quite a few other Glocks, and like the ergonomics, but I really didn’t like it this one.

So, until you shoot a gun, you just don’t know how the change in multiple minor factors will add up - might be a great gun.

Or it might not.

I get what you're saying and agree that you need to validate a carry pistol, mag and ammo combination but looking at it a different way, at those round counts, you could very well run into issues with wear and tear in about any pistol platform. They are all simply machines and machines wear and break with use, even good ones. Fortunately for me, all of my pistols have been super reliable right out of the box - I think the only exception has been my Remington 1911. I had a couple of failures early on (like maybe 2 or 3) with it but it's been great since. My P365 has been great with zero failures until I replaced the slide and added an RMR. When I went out to shoot it, I had a few failures, but admittedly, I used some 115grn Magtech, which I'd never used before. When I switched back to my usual Winchester 124grn NATO, I haven't had any issues since. Needless to say I'll be putting some more of both through it to see how it responds.
Not a fan of Magtech, particularly the the 9mm 115 grain.

Maybe it’s loaded light, or the case size is a hair off, but I have a couple guns that don’t like the Magtech and run 100% on S&B, American Eagle, Geco and Winchester… even Blazer, but not the Magtech.

When you have a Glock 19 and it doesn’t run on that brand of ammo - you kinda’ suspect the ammo…

you could very well run into issues with wear and tear in about any pistol platform
1000 on a properly built gun these days is nothing. Sure wear and tear, but way down the road. I have one XD9, over 13k on the clock, replaced the striker retaining pin because I lost it. No parts failures. One failure to eject on the first magazine. There is slight change in "long" accuracy though.

I had a few failures, but admittedly, I used some 115grn Magtech,
I have never had a issue with any 9mm ammo ever out of any gun except for a Glock 17. I also do not own a red dot on a pistol.

zero failures until I replaced the slide and added an RMR
Well there is likely the reason why you had the failures

When you have a Glock 19 and it doesn’t run on that brand of ammo - you kinda’ suspect the ammo…
I kind of agree.

Out of direct experience with 3 separate 365s, none worked properly out of the box. I am of the very unpopular opinion that Sig is a marketing company first and rushes products to market with inadequate R&D.
Unfortunately I agree. And now they are perhaps going to be the sole supplier of small arms to the US military. The SIG of old is not the SIG of new.

I am quite pleased with mine. Pure luck I guess. It is the only smallish 9mm I have been shooting the last year or so.

From day one my 365 has never glitched

Around 2000 rounds now. Extra mags function fine.

1000 on a properly built gun these days is nothing. Sure wear and tear, but way down the road. I have one XD9, over 13k on the clock, replaced the striker retaining pin because I lost it. No parts failures. One failure to eject on the first magazine. There is slight change in "long" accuracy though.
I agree - but still, things happen. It's generally accepted that Glock makes a fine pistol, but still, at a 1000 rounds or so, yours broke. Maybe "wear and tear" wasn't the right term to use but my point still remains.

From what I've seen, experienced and read, I think that 200-500 rounds (with your choice of carry ammo) is a reasonable amount of usage to determine if your pea shooter is going to be reliable. After that, any "good" gun should run pretty much indefinitely - unless you have a breakage or wear a part out.

Reactions: pbm
Not a fan of Magtech, particularly the the 9mm 115 grain.

Maybe it’s loaded light, or the case size is a hair off, but I have a couple guns that don’t like the Magtech and run 100% on S&B, American Eagle, Geco and Winchester… even Blazer, but not the Magtech.

I'd never tried it before, but I found it cheap, so I bought a case to burn through. I may have found out the hard way that at least one of my guns doesn't like it.. I think that only other gun I've ran it through has been my Canik TP9 SF Elite and it didn't seem to mind, but really I haven't ran enough of it through any gun to really "know" how good it is. Hopefully I didn't buy a bunch of junk...

I love my 365XL. Probably put 1000 rounds through it so far since December, some Sig 365 9mm 115grain, some Hornady critical defense, but mostly magtech and reloaded RangeUSA store ammo with no failure yet. I also meticulously clean it after every shoot though (infantry habits). I hope for no failures at all like our firearms in the military.

I'd never tried it before, but I found it cheap, so I bought a case to burn through. I may have found out the hard way that at least one of my guns doesn't like it.. I think that only other gun I've ran it through has been my Canik TP9 SF Elite and it didn't seem to mind, but really I haven't ran enough of it through any gun to really "know" how good it is. Hopefully I didn't buy a bunch of junk...
Hard to know - but I do know that ammunition production has been under tremendous pressure. Shutdowns. Bankruptcies. Unprecedented demand. Expansion. I wouldn’t be surprised if there have been some quality control challenges in the production of ammunition since, oh, about March of 2020. Might be the case, here.

The Geco I bought recently has been flawless. First time with that brand. Hungarian, I think. Works well.

American Eagle has always worked well for me, too.

Back