SAE Paper on Engine Wear with 20 wt. oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you really mean 5 thou, or 5 ten-thousandths? .005 seems like an absolute disaster of wear on rings, since that will also effectively change the endgap as well (until all tension is gone from the outside surface, of course)?
Sorry, I meant to say end gap. Which is really a combo of bore wear and ring wear. The sad part is these engines consume oil while the rings are well within the service limits.

I have no problems with 20 grade oils in engines putting out 600 plus BPH but prefer thinner oils. 'Currently running a Redline 0W5 in my Lincoln Navigator.

Ali
Yes, it’s a way to free up some HP. However we tried it in 400HP turbocharged race engines and rod bearing problems were the result. Possibly had we been able to manage oil temps at 180F or so, it would have worked. As it was, adding a half pound of boost provides more HP than the switch from 15W-50 to 0W-20 did.

Think of viscosity like a pair of gloves. You could potentially try on 5 pairs, each in S, M, L or XL. Within each size, some may run a bit bigger or smaller. You could fit your hand in almost all of them, but some would be the perfect fit.

But a dress glove in winter may fit fine whereas a work glove in summer does not. An engine is not a static environment.

How about an oil that provides adequate film thickness to prevent excessive wear under most circumstances?

Think of viscosity like a pair of gloves. You could potentially try on 5 pairs, each in S, M, L or XL. Within each size, some may run a bit bigger or smaller. You could fit your hand in almost all of them, but some would be the perfect fit.

I always double up my gloves. These manufacturers who recommend only one pair of gloves are obviously doing it only for nitrile efficiency reasons.

Given the incredibly excellent wear rates I've got with Xw-20 lubes in several different applications, I'd say that "study" may not be applicable today, if at all.
While I agree, I think that fuel dilution puts a big hurt on viscosity and hths. Tuners adding additional bolt ons and increasing psi in forced induction vehicles would benefit from something thicker. The CTR specs 0w20 from Honda but has a huge oil sump but I can't imagine a K20C being driven casually or for fuel economy. Some Mustangs are built to use a 5w50 but I presume that the tolerances are much different in the GT. Cam phaser issues has push some back to 5w30 over 20w

Yes,
Please tell me that you know why that is radically different and not applicable to an ICE.
the gas turbine world is my world.

A funny story I’ve told a few times here. During Mobil 254 HTS (high thermal stability) testing, we had a large quantity of lightly used turbine engine oil. Danny (our shop helper) used it exclusively in his 2.8L Camaro. It was not quiet, but it worked and as far as I know there were no failures. It’s easy to dismiss this, but he was rough on his car and beat the snot out of it. Racing everyone.

That guy must have taken home a few hundred gallons of the stuff.

Yes. The lack of basic physics knowledge coupled with a gross misunderstanding of why lower viscosity oils exist is pretty apparent in this thread.

Sure, why did "lower viscosity oils" exist in the 1960's for GM vehicles as winter fill then? CAFE?

And which oils are "CAFE"?

Yes. The lack of basic physics knowledge coupled with a gross misunderstanding of why lower viscosity oils exist is pretty apparent in this thread.

As is a lack of basic automotive engine build knowledge. As in modern engines have things like oil coolers that may actually necessitate a (slightly) thinner oil to be optimal. There really isn't that much difference between a given 5W-20 or 5W-30. One relies more on polymers, one might have a thicker base oil to begin with. Guess which is which....

Backspeccing anything to me seems like a mistake, if it’s in the name of thinking they’re saving a fume or two of fuel.

Can you tell me how many "CAFE credits" say FMC gets for back spec'ing older vehicles? I mean, really? Does the Guber'mint give Ford a check for filling your 1999 Crovwn Vic with 5W-20 instead of 5W-30? okaY.. I agree that might not be optimal and my first choice, but I think it's a bit silly to relegate everything to CAFE...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back