Rusting Sig P365

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had this 365 for a few months and recently noticed the 10 round mag was rusting. Called Sig Sauer customer service and they gladly replaced it. During disassembly I noticed rust around the mag release. This weapon is carried everyday mostly in an office environment and cleaned on a regular basis. I called Sig again and they are sending a replacement mag release. I've never had a modern weapon have this problem and I don't live near the beach or work around salt. Any suggestions on preventing it from happening again?

20190709_112528.jpg

Is it carried concealed? Perhaps a lot of moisture/sweat if so. I'd make sure its oiled well on a regular basis. But that does look really unusual.

I like to know if there are any other instances of this, as i am considering one. A friend has one and it really fits my hand well.

The CSR asked if it was being stored in the original case. Told him no it isn't stored at all, it's carried, then asked him why. He said they will rust if stored in the factory case in my climate. I'm like...wait...what....huh? Then why sell it with the case???

I've used BoeShield before on parts that don't really need lubrication but need a barrier to rust.

Barring that CLP is actually very good at preventing rust.

BSW

Originally Posted by TN Tracker
The CSR asked if it was being stored in the original case. Told him no it isn't stored at all, it's carried, then asked him why. He said they will rust if stored in the factory case in my climate. I'm like...wait...what....huh? Then why sell it with the case???

On of the first thing I was taught about gun ownership was that when storing a weapon for a prolonged period in a case it should be well, not overly, lubricated in order to prevent rust.

Last edited:
Strictly from a rust prevention standpoint, Breakfree CLP has always kept rust from forming on my guns.

If it were me I'd try a really light film on where you've seen rust occur before. Reapply every week or so and monitor.

Originally Posted by bsmithwins
I've used BoeShield before on parts that don't really need lubrication but need a barrier to rust.

BSW

Never heard of BoeShield, gonna check that one out.

Every Sig I own gets rust in a lot of places. I have to keep one of the slides wet with oil it seems to keep rust from showing up.

How do you like the P365?

Originally Posted by bsmithwins

BSW

Never heard of BoeShield, gonna check that one out.

You can find it online and at bicycle shops. Bikers use it to prevent the chains from rusting.

BSW

Try FP-10. I've been using it for years as a slide/action lubricant and rust protectant and have had zero corrosion or rust issues with any of my firearms.

Because in other areas (climates) it's not an issue.

The 365 is great except for the rust part. I came from a G43 and they carry and perform pretty much the same. Rust was never a concern with the Glock though. Last time I took the Glock to the range I intentially went 6 months without so much as wiping the dust off of it just to see what would happen. 100 rounds down range without a single hiccup. This will probably be my last Sig.

Good suggestions above; another excellent product that leaves a barrier shield is G96....liquid or spray. Been using it for good many years on everything other than sliding/pressure points. To get the type rust you've shown, you must perspire a lot or work in highly humid environment. Almost need to clean it every day. Let us know how it goes................

Thank you guys for this thread.

The gun store I stopped by - one of the larger in the area with a shooting range in it - acted like the Sig should be just as good as the Glock for rust prevention. It's a little tiring, here in 2019 now, that rust issues just keep being lied about.

My S&W Shield rusts, even after a replacement slide that was supposed to be better at preventing rust. Meanwhile, the Glock I bought back in 1993 has never had rust on it. I stopped at the store to check out the 43X as a carry piece, liked everything about it except for how much the magazine-end prints on shirts, so the guy behind the counter pulled out the 365's. My problem is rust - selling me another rust-prone platform isn't helping me, but neither is making a CCW-piece (the 43X) with hard corners on the very end of the magazines, lol.

Rust is a maintenance issue. Maintain your stuff, oil and clean it regularly, and it won't be a problem. Yes some guns rust more than others. Just like some people's sweat causes rust more than others. If your sweat is corrosive, and your guns rust, then you need to double/triple your maintenance routine. Metal rust, get over it. There is no reason you can't wipe your gun down every other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back