Rusting Sig P365

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but a modern firearm that won't go a week in "conceal carry" without rusting isn't worthy of the term, I don't care if you sweat or not. I carried my LCP and 2 mags for a week at the Outer Banks and they didn't rust.

When all the Sig replacement parts get here I'm switching back to a G43. Glock has always been such great weapons for me I'm not sure what I was thinking.

Originally Posted by TN Tracker
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but a modern firearm that won't go a week in "conceal carry" without rusting isn't worthy of the term, I don't care if you sweat or not. I carried my LCP and 2 mags for a week at the Outer Banks and they didn't rust.

When all the Sig replacement parts get here I'm switching back to a G43. Glock has always been such great weapons for me I'm not sure what I was thinking.
Sig is simply riding the wave from back when they made excellent stuff. I'd pass on anything from them these days.

Originally Posted by hatt
Sig is simply riding the wave from back when they made excellent stuff. I'd pass on anything from them these days.

I have to agree... I haven't been happy with my Sig stuff either.

Being that I work in the industry I have handled plenty of Sig's. Yes, they are grossly overrated and way overpriced for what they are, especially the Legion series. But, like Daniel Defense and others they have their following of mostly people who like to brag about what is in their safe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tc1446
Good suggestions above; another excellent product that leaves a barrier shield is G96....liquid or spray. Been using it for good many years on everything other than sliding/pressure points. To get the type rust you've shown, you must perspire a lot or work in highly humid environment. Almost need to clean it every day. Let us know how it goes................

Can give this a solid "true dat."
Been using the G96 Complete Gun Treatment (the spray) for probably 20 years. Always have a can on my bench. Have tried a lot of the other well-known CLPs -- and even still keep small containers of Ballistol (spray) and FP-10 (liquid) in my range & hunting bags. For the bags, I like the little 1.5 ounce Ballistol for a spray and I put some FP-10 in the little 1 oz. GI bottles. Both are compact, don't leak and get the job done if need be at the range or back at the vehicle.
If I had to trust a one-product solution, though, the G96 would be it. It's a decent enough cleaner, decent enough lube ... but an excellent protectant.
The 12 ounce can of G-96 aerosol runs about $15 on Amazon and, IME, will last most people a long, long time. They also have a 4.5 ounce can, but I have enough guns/use it often enough that I just buy the taller can to keep on my bench.
Re Sigs, I only have one, the SP2022, and it's been flawless and is a bargain at the price, IMO. That said, it's a full-size double-stack 9 and one has to be comfortable with a true DA/SA trigger to run it well. Given it's size, not a great CC choice for my needs.
For CC in a 9, I like the Shield with the plus-2 mag, generally in a IWB kydex. I also have carried an LCP in a pocket holster and a S&W 642, either in a pocket holster or kydex IWB. I'm a beefy sort and do sweat. Some visible holster wear on the blued guns, but no rust. They're regularly wiped down with a G-96 rag.

The Sig has been replaced with a Kahr CM45 so rusting mags are no longer an issue.

Eeeeeeeekkkk!!!

Id test that gun thoroughly. Id bet a few dollars that Kahr cant go 1000 rounds without major issues.

Originally Posted by Mambo_Dave
....... My S&W Shield rusts, even after a replacement slide that was supposed to be better at preventing rust. Meanwhile, the Glock I bought back in 1993 has never had rust on it.

That's because Glock uses the Tennifer process, while S&W uses Melonite. In spite of what many claim on gun forums, they are not the same. If they were S&W's would remain as rust free as Tennifer treated Glock's do. They don't.

Part of the reason S&W doesn't use it, is because the Tennifer process is not performed here, due to EPA regulations concerning the chemicals used, along with their subsequent disposal. Glock applies the Tennifer in Austria, then ships the Tennifer treated parts to Georgia, where the pistols are then assembled and shipped.

At least that's how it used to be. Glock has now changed their metal treatment of their pistols on the later generation models. Some claim they're not as good at preventing rust as they used to be. All 7 of my Glock's are Gen III Austrian made, Tennifer treated guns, so I can't comment either way. There are several ways to apply the Melonite process. Some better than others. All of them have to be applied precisely. But as far as a "rust free" pistol, you'll be hard pressed to find one better than an Austrian built, Tennifer treated Glock.

The newer glocks with the gray color will rust. I think they are processed in USA.
The older glocks with the black finish an made in Australia may rust but I have never been able to make one rust.
I liked the gen 4 handle and sold my black glocks.
I sincerely wish I had kept the black slides to put on the gen 4 handle.

I fall into the category that I will clean a carry gun weekly.
If I have to wipe it every day then it is going to rust.
The newer gray glocks will definitely rust.

Once a year I will use steel wool and WD40 to get the rust off and then spray it with the Krylon rust converter because it sprays on clear.

Welcome back and glad to have you! As a GSSF lifetime member I hope you do return.

I've had this 365 for a few months and recently noticed the 10 round mag was rusting. Called Sig Sauer customer service and they gladly replaced it. During disassembly I noticed rust around the mag release. This weapon is carried everyday mostly in an office environment and cleaned on a regular basis. I called Sig again and they are sending a replacement mag release. I've never had a modern weapon have this problem and I don't live near the beach or work around salt. Any suggestions on preventing it from happening again?
Wild stab in the dark , but try some Johnson Paste Wax , Let it dry then buff it .

Please let us know if it works . Doubt it will be worse than that you have used in the past .

Best of luck , :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back