Rural King Full Synthetic House Brand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aray

smile.gif
CORRECTION on Rural King House Brand (Harvest King) Full Synthetic OIL (FSO). I am not a guy Who Blows and Goes. I posted the experience below. It was true. Must have been a bad batch or oil. I TESTED it again in my 2.2 Cavalier daily driver. NOW 6,000 miles on a Harvest King 15W30 oil change and it has used/seeped less than a 1/2 Quart. I am going back to HK for all my fleet on the next oil change. $12.99 a gallon verses $21.00 for Mobil One. MORE REALLY GOOD results. Had a head gasket leaking on the 2.2 Cavalier with 10,800 miles on rebuild. Engine was rebuilt (honed the cylinder out and installed new rings). When we pulled the head off you could still see the Hone Marks in every cylinder. 10,000 miles and no wear visible cylinder wear. I EAT MY CROW and POUR IN HARVEST KING.

Originally Posted By: aray
?? This is my EXPERIENCE! Rural King (RK) had a heck of a Sale on their house brand Full Synthetic Oil (FSO). I changed some of the vehicles in my family's fleet. 1. My 97 S10 2.2 engine. Had not used any oil in about 3,000 miles since I got a Valve pan gasket leak fixed. Changed oil and filter to RK 15-30 FSO. Result 2200 miles it was below the stick, no oil showing. 2. My daughters Pontiac EOTECH engine G6 125,000 miles. I have done all the oil changes and oil checking for last 2 years. It used a quart and a half on 5,000 mile oil changes. Changed it to RK FSO 5-15 or whatever the engine oil cap said. Result, My GRANDSON (proud of the boy) checked his moms oil at 3,200 miles and NONE ON THE STICK. My Dodge Charger 84,000 miles, probably consumed a quart before on 6,000 mile oil change. Has the 3.5 engine not the Junk 2.7. Changed to RK FSO 10-30. Result. 3,300 miles I heard rattling lifters and stopped and pulled the stick. I walked 2 blocks and spent $7.00 a quart for 2 quarts of Junk Oil at a quick stop to get it home. That brought it up on the stick, so it was down to what, less than 2 quarts in the engine. Good thing I was driving or the engine would have been TOAST. NOTE I been around a while. I had the same experience with Mobil One when it first came out. A lot of other people did too, Result Mobil changed the formula of their oil to stop the high consumption. By they way this is my first post, I looked this site up to post this and see if anyone else has had this Real pROBLEM????
confused2.gif
confused2.gif
confused2.gif
confused2.gif
confused2.gif
confused2.gif

r

k anyone else had this problem.

Have a Atwoods farm store 5 miles from me and I been use harvest king oil past 2 years also on my Suburban and it burns around 1/2 qt or so a month.

And like someone else mentioned, 15W-30 oil does not exist bro, Did you mean 15W-40 ???

Dave

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: car51
Gmguy84: Delo makes a SD 15W30 oil
smile.gif

Thanks for the correcting car51 wasn't thinking about diesel oil lol,

Main point is RK doesn't make a 15W30 oil

Dave

Originally Posted By: GMguy84
And like someone else mentioned, 15W-30 oil does not exist bro, Did you mean 15W-40 ???

It does, just not that brand, to my knowledge.
wink.gif
Never saw it in the wild yet, though, at least not here.

I have a stash of Delo 400 15W-30 SD (severe duty). One of the stoutest multi-grade oils made - period.

It's what I use for rebuilt engine break-in. No weak sauce for my flat tappet rebuilds
laugh.gif

No RK stores anywhere around here
frown.gif

I picked up a jug of Rural King synthetic blend 5W30 in late November and my old Toyota has developed an oil slick under the oil pump, its all over the axle and alternator. The last time I was at Rural King, I did not see any more of that same oil with the brown label. Its very possible that these oil leaks are from seals not compatible with synthetic oil because I saw similar issues when synthetics entered the marketplace.. I don't know if RK labeled oil is a factor or just a failing o-ring seal, I do know that RTV used as gasket material is not fond of synthetic oils.

I have a neighbor who used to work at one of the chain auto parts stores. He is always imparting tidbits of automotive knowledge to me. You can't switch back & forth between Dino & syn, yatta, yatta, yatta, you know the type. He just the other day related to me how people had been having problems with RK oil "running right thru engines like gas". He wasn't aware the chain he worked for own house brand was basically the same as RK! And that I've been using RK for quite a while in one of my cars without issue.

I've used, and switched, oils of every brand locally available with nary a problem. The OP either got a bad batch, which has happened with lots of oils, or other problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back