Ruger SR-9C, S&W M&P, Glock 19.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Me, personally, I prefer no manual safeties for a carry gun.

As do I. The ONLY "safety" required is the operator. If you cannot operate a firearm without hurting or killing yourself, or someone else with it, you've got no business using one. Show me a shooter that "needs" a safety, and I'll show you someone I don't want to be around when they're handling a firearm.

I agree as well.

Another reason I love my Glock.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
None of them. I like the Sig Sauer P226 and P229.

Right up my alley, and make my P229 an enhanced elite.

Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
Glock 19. Can't say anything bad about it.

As long as the grip angle works for you. That is one of the few things about the Glocks that turns some people off. The angle is more raked and for some it does not point as naturally as other designs. Personally the angle works for me, but I am a supporter of the red headed step child of Austrian handguns....Steyr. Love my M9A1. Very Glock 19 like but I love the trapezoidal combat sights they use over the three dots on the Glock.

Ruger fan here. Simple, minimal parts count for no-tool take down, priced for a working person, and USA made by a very responsive American company. I particularly like the reversible backstrap and the good 3-dot sights.

Originally Posted By: 2cool
Ruger fan here. Simple, minimal parts count for no-tool take down, priced for a working person, and USA made by a very responsive American company. I particularly like the reversible backstrap and the good 3-dot sights.

Ruger has always made solid pieces, that is for sure. They are slowly improving in the ergonomics department. I have an early P85, and while it has never jammed and takes down easily...the fact it is built like a tank is also reflected in how it feels in your hand. Feels like a brick that shoots bullets. They learned and the new SR series certainly feels a bit better in the hands.

I also have an older Security Six wheelgun, and with the addition of better grips, it has been my favorite 357 wheelgun.

I've always liked Rugers. I love my 10/22. Ruger has always been a little overly submissive to the gun safety lobby, in my opinion, however. Their handguns often feature magazine disconnects, prominent loaded chamber indicators, manual safeties, etc. Those items have their place in some situations, but I prefer to not have them on my handguns, and so I don't own any Ruger handguns.

They're starting to change, and offer more of what some in the gun community want. Their LC9s "Pro model" does away with the magazine disconnect and the manual safety. Cheers, Ruger!! Make an SR9 or SR9 compact "pro model", and I might be a customer.

Al, I'd love for you to post or PM me some pics of your Mini Scabbard holster when you get it. I carry my Shield in a Jason Winnie leather holster or a Blackhawk Sporter holster, concealed under a garment.

1_IMG_3269.JPG

I like it. But I haven't carried it yet. The Shield needs to prove itself first. I strapped it on and it fits tight to the body. I'll wear it around the house for a while and let you know.
11.gif

Ruger can't seem to make a trigger that feels worth a darn. The SW by all accounts is a good gun but negative experiences in the past have steered me away from them for years...

Can't say a single bad thing about the Glock except they are not for everybody.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Of the posted choices, the Smith & Wesson M&P. And I have two Glocks, a 21 and a 21SF. Nothing wrong with the glocks but they're just boring, total vanilla. And kind of ***** as well.

If I had to pick a new gun to buy it would be the Walther PPQ M2. So much more stylish than a glock and won as Handgun of the Year for 2015 !!

Walther PPQ Handgun of the Year 2015

I agree with you except mine is an M1. It's nice to shoot and easy to carry.

Originally Posted By: Al
I like it. But I haven't carried it yet. The Shield needs to prove itself first. I strapped it on and it fits tight to the body. I'll wear it around the house for a while and let you know.
11.gif

Nice -- thanks for the pic. I'm sure it'll prove itself with some range time. I have over 600 rounds through both of my M&P 9mms and haven't had any issues with either of them, not that are out of my control, anyway (like, only VERY occasionally, not hitting the target!).

I bought a Blade-Tech Total Eclipse holster on sale at Cabelas just last week. When we get it, Santa's gonna wrap it up for me. $44 delivered. Super slim profile, inside or outside carry, straight drop or FBI cant. I expect good things from it.

I bought a Blade-Tech Total Eclipse holster on sale at Cabelas just last week. When we get it, Santa's gonna wrap it up for me. $44 delivered. Super slim profile, inside or outside carry, straight drop or FBI cant. I expect good things from it.

Pics?

Don't those hard plastic holsters scratch the he!! out of your gun?

Not a gun with a good finish, no. This is going off-topic, but one reason I bought a full size M&P is because of how durable Smith's Melonite coating is on the Shield. It's already a stainless slide, but the black satin Melonite coating seems to be extremely durable. Smith advertises a certain Rockwell hardness number, but that number doesn't mean much to me. My Shield's in and out of a plastic holster constantly, and there's ZERO wear on the slide.

I can't say that about all guns. My neighbor sends all of his Glocks out for aftermarket coatings, because the factory flat finish scratches up over time. Not usually a durability problem (though the slides are steel, and can and do rust), but it's a cosmetic one. I had a few CZ pistols in the past, and the finishes on those seemed fragile, too. In fact, one of the reasons I sold my CZ 75 is because I felt like I had to handle it with kid gloves. It looked perfect, and I didn't want to scratch it up.

I can say from experience that the M&P's finish is extremely durable, and that's one reason I like and recommend that line of pistols.

Don't those hard plastic holsters scratch the he!! out of your gun?

Not a gun with a good finish, no.

I'm not talking about the metal. I'm talking about plastic wearing on plastic. (Frame to holster).

I don't understand the argument about the Glock grip angle. We're humans, and by nature, adaptable. I've shot numerous guns in one session, and never had a problem or thought about the grip angle. The Glock and 1911 have a difference of 2 degrees.
pistol-angles_zps8d8b0490.jpg

Grip size, control location, trigger, etc are the only ergonomics I think about when buying a gun.

To the OP, all those listed are a good choice. I prefer Glock. I own a G19.

Originally Posted By: whip
I don't understand the argument about the Glock grip angle.

The "argument" only comes up with people who are lousy shots to begin with. Blame it on the gun. As you mentioned, humans are adaptable. Those that cannot are lacking..... Not the gun they're holding.

Grip angle, to me, isn't about whether one can be accurate with a gun or not. It's about what feels most natural. If a Glock feels and points natural to you, then great. If it doesn't, then great. It's not productive to blame others' shooting capabilities if they don't like a Glock. I find that attitude to be common in conversations involving Glocks, unfortunately.

For me, in a defensive handgun, I want to be able to be on target with my eyes closed. Not that I'd pull the trigger with my eyes closed, but I want the gun's pointability to be that natural for me. If I stick my M&P out in front of me, it's pointing exactly where my arm points. Glocks don't, and it's not about the grip angle for me. The image posted above uses straight lines to demonstrate grip angles, and completely misses what about the grip influences where the gun is pointing -- the backstrap of the frame.

It's about the hump in the back of the grip that some Glocks have wrong for me. Not all Glocks, but some Glocks. I can actually point a 26 pretty straight with closed eyes. The hump hides in the web of my palm and the muzzle stays mostly in line with my arm. I can also point a 17 fairly straight. Most of the hump rides below the meat of my palm and the muzzle stays mostly in line with my arm. The size I want, a 19, doesn't work well, however. The peak of the grip hump hits the peak of the meat of my palm, and the muzzle's pointing up at a 15 degree angle.

I can correct for this, of course. On a range, it's no problem. I'm comfortable and I have time to think about my shots. I can hit steel with a Glock on a range like a champ. But if it's not a natural point of aim, that's just something else to have to train for to be effective in a defensive situation, which would be the only reason I'd own a Glock -- as a defensive pistol. To be frank, I'd rather choose a firearm that doesn't require an extra adjustment. I suspect others feel the same way, but I can't know for sure. It's no surprise that I've owned CZs and now two M&Ps. Their grips are the most straight up and down, their palm swells are spread out over the length of the backstrap instead of being concentrated in one area, and they're the ones that point the best for me.

Maybe not for you. That's okay. We can own different firearms and still acknowledge why others like or don't like the ones we do.

I'm not talking about the metal. I'm talking about plastic wearing on plastic. (Frame to holster).

I have not found this to be a factor (plastic scratching plastic). Depending on the style of holster and retention that it uses, most of the wear will occur on the front of the trigger guard, where the holster is gripping the frame (but it'd be more of a "polishing" or "patina" type of wear rather than scratches. The sides of the holster don't come into much contact with the frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back