Royal purple

Hey everyone simple enough question that will probably end up being complex. How does royal purple compare to other major players? I have spoken to their tech line before about gear oil. They were super helpful and personable. I've used their gear oil and their synchromax. I haven't used their engine oil but am curious how it compares. I've read elsewhere that it's basically Valvoline with purple dye. Is there any truth to that? Not trying to compare pricing or any of that just want to compare the actual technical performance compare to it's counter parts.

I've used their gear oil exclusively in my Mazda RX-7 race car as it has the lsd additive and it works great no issues. I've always wondered what their "synlerlec" technology was.

its good oil just one of those boutique priced jobs. Walmart is showing it being reduced down to $33.78 / 5Qt jugs. That's still $5-6 over MOBIL 1 EP, Castrol Edge and Valvoline Extended protection. I don't have science to back up my opinion but it's not going to do anything spectacular over the other mentioned brands. save your money and buy lunch.

its not the same as Valvoline, formulated different, its a excellent oil ,kind of down played here on this site because of its color,have it in my car right now as i bought a few jugs on sale a while back, works just fine and easily compares to most other oils. just watch for sales and, rebates,

Many threads on Royal Purple, it is quite the popular topic. Here are just a few and there are more if you search. Some are quite recent:

I've used Royal Purple 5w30 HPS ( not the stuff on the Walmart shelves! ) in my vehicles and riding lawnmower. I also use Royal Purple in the PTU in the 2015 Escape,all with no issues.

This is a brand that incites either Hot followers or Ice Cold rejectors.
When someone states he's just OK with the brand, he's not dishing out extra money to repeatedly buy it.

One of these days, I'll buy a jug and try it. Specific engines will sometimes surprise their owners with a likeness to brand you'd never expect. I just encountered similar when draining Amsoil and inserting Castrol Euro into the wife's Kia. I was flabergasted as to the positive results of the Castro, which is a brand I haven't purchased since the late 1980s, when it was known to create a level of varnish in the then-new 16 valve OHC four cylinder GM engines..... wife's being a Pontiac Grand Am.

It would also dry-cold-start every time (AC Delco parts). I sold that car within 18 months after purchasing it new. I think Walmart is about to discontinue the Royal Purple at their brick & mortars. We haven't seen any around these parts in almost a year.

So, I will tell a RP story.

About 30 years ago, I was in a place on Ft. Bragg called "Area J". It was a training area for various units, and a common place for those to whom were brave and dumb enough to venture, as it was against the rules. Anyway, I was cruising around in the sand and water and hills in my YJ, 2.5l, and all upon a sudden, I hit a big "bump" in the trail at speed, maybe 25 or so. Going slightly airborne.

Because I was so smart as a young man, I decided to do this a couple more times, as it was fun, and what could go wrong? Well, on my last attempt, I decided to go the opposite direction as I had before, which was a mistake. The bump was angled differently on that side, and my front end went in the air probably 5 ft or more, all I could see was sky. When I landed, the shifter when to side, and I could smell oil.....

I turned off the engine and looked under the hood, and the engine mount on the oil filter side had broke, crushing the oil filter.

As I said before, I was smart as a young man, and knew that I was in trouble if I got caught out there. So, I decided to drive the jeep out. It was near 4 miles back to the main road, in the sand and mud in 4wd, with a little 2.5 Jeep engine. things when well, until the engine locked up, about 10 seconds after I got on the main road.

The oil I was using was RP, the older kind, non API, I suppose like HPS of today.

4 miles with no flowing oil, in summer heat, in 4wd, off-road, on just oil film.

Now I dont know if it was the Royal Purple that made it last that long, under those conditions or not, but it is a good story nonetheless, well maybe..........
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no issues with Royal Purple, and I use some of their products.

Edit: I would not buy the API stuff. By in large, I find that all API\Dexos stuff is nearly identical in performance and most can be had for way less money like Shell, or Valvoline or Mobil.

If you are going to use RP, I recommend the HMX or HPS line of engine oils.

This is a good video to watch, from a long time ago, whether you buy the message is up to you:

Last edited:
Hey everyone simple enough question that will probably end up being complex. How does royal purple compare to other major players? I have spoken to their tech line before about gear oil. They were super helpful and personable. I've used their gear oil and their synchromax. I haven't used their engine oil but am curious how it compares. I've read elsewhere that it's basically Valvoline with purple dye. Is there any truth to that? Not trying to compare pricing or any of that just want to compare the actual technical performance compare to it's counter parts.
I use the manual transmission oil it is excellent, it is GL5 not corrosive certified too.

About 30 years ago, I was in a place on Ft. Bragg called "Area J". It was a training area for various units, and a common place for those to whom were brave and dumb enough to venture, as it was against the rules. Anyway, I was cruising around in the sand and water and hills in my YJ, 2.5l, and all upon a sudden, I hit a big "bump" in the trail at speed, maybe 25 or so. Going slightly airborne.

Because I was so smart as a young man, I decided to do this a couple more times, as it was fun, and what could go wrong? Well, on my last attempt, I decided to go the opposite direction as I had before, which was a mistake. The bump was angled differently on that side, and my front end went in the air probably 5 ft or more, all I could see was sky. When I landed, the shifter when to side, and I could smell oil.....

I turned off the engine and looked under the hood, and the engine mount on the oil filter side had broke, crushing the oil filter.

As I said before, I was smart as a young man, and knew that I was in trouble if I got caught out there. So, I decided to drive the jeep out. It was near 4 miles back to the main road, in the sand and mud in 4wd, with a little 2.5 Jeep engine. things when well, until the engine locked up, about 10 seconds after I got on the main road.

The oil I was using was RP, the older kind, non API, I suppose like HPS of today.

4 miles with no flowing oil, in summer heat, in 4wd, off-road, on just oil film.

Now I dont know if it was the Royal Purple that made it last that long, under those conditions or not, but it is a good story nonetheless, well maybe..........
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I enjoy a good young and dumb story with a little redneckery in there to. Good stuff! I've been that young and dumb guy so I definitely get it. 💯 If we didn't do dumb stuff we wouldn't have awesome stories to tell.

This is a brand that incites either Hot followers or Ice Cold rejectors.
When someone states he's just OK with the brand, he's not dishing out extra money to repeatedly buy it.

One of these days, I'll buy a jug and try it. Specific engines will sometimes surprise their owners with a likeness to brand you'd never expect. I just encountered similar when draining Amsoil and inserting Castrol Euro into the wife's Kia. I was flabergasted as to the positive results of the Castro, which is a brand I haven't purchased since the late 1980s, when it was known to create a level of varnish in the then-new 16 valve OHC four cylinder GM engines..... wife's being a Pontiac Grand Am.

It would also dry-cold-start every time (AC Delco parts). I sold that car within 18 months after purchasing it new. I think Walmart is about to discontinue the Royal Purple at their brick & mortars. We haven't seen any around these parts in almost a year.
Which Amsoil series were you using?

I enjoy a good young and dumb story with a little redneckery in there to. Good stuff! I've been that young and dumb guy so I definitely get it. 💯 If we didn't do dumb stuff we wouldn't have awesome stories to tell.
I edited my original reply at the end becasue I forgot to add a few things.

About 30 years ago, --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: I would not buy the API stuff. By in large, I find that all API\Dexos stuff is nearly identical in performance and most can be had for way less money like Shell, or Valvoline or Mobil.

If you are going to use RP, I recommend the HMX or HPS line of engine oils.
Great story, thanks for sharing.

I agree with you, for RP their API and dexos stuff is much the same as all the major brands. Not bad, but nothing special, except for the purple dye.

However their HMX and HPS line contain "Synerlec" which is quite unique and probably what saved you in the story above. Quote below from the Royal Purple website:

"Synerlec additive technology makes Royal Purple unique—and it’s a big reason why Royal Purple products perform like no other lubricants on the market. This man-made additive improves our products on a molecular level, by creating high-strength ionic bonds with metallic surfaces that allow our engine oils and other lubricants to react to sustained heat and pressure, not by breaking down like regular oil, but with increased film strength and lubricity.

With extended use, Royal Purple synthetic lubricants with Synerlec improve the surface condition of metallic surfaces by smoothing inherent surface roughness, actually reducing friction and improving lubrication of internal moving parts.
"

Great story, thanks for sharing.

I agree with you, for RP their API and dexos stuff is much the same as all the major brands. Not bad, but nothing special, except for the purple dye.

However their HMX and HPS line contain "Synerlec" which is quite unique and probably what saved you in the story above. Quote below from the Royal Purple website:

"Synerlec additive technology makes Royal Purple unique—and it’s a big reason why Royal Purple products perform like no other lubricants on the market. This man-made additive improves our products on a molecular level, by creating high-strength ionic bonds with metallic surfaces that allow our engine oils and other lubricants to react to sustained heat and pressure, not by breaking down like regular oil, but with increased film strength and lubricity.

With extended use, Royal Purple synthetic lubricants with Synerlec improve the surface condition of metallic surfaces by smoothing inherent surface roughness, actually reducing friction and improving lubrication of internal moving parts.
"
Right, but I have no idea if these claims are true or not, don't have the expertise of equipment to see. All I know is personal experience, and the result, but not the ''how''.

Reactions: SR5
Back