Royal Purple is off the shelf at Walmart!

Well, at least in Brick NJ store it is. But it wouldn't surprise me if it is off the shelf elsewheres... I was in and out so I didn't have presence of mind to take a photo, but. It's gone.

I will admit, I bought it at least once to "try it out," as is the AMAZING power of marketing but.. is anyone else surprised (I thought it would be there forever) or.. can anyone else logic out what may have happened?

Your thoughts?

The RP stuff on the shelf there isn't anything special and it is grossly overpriced compared to the other full synthetics with the same certs, those jugs sit right beside each other, so if it is gone it is likely due to price.

I buy RP HPS oil by the 5gal pale but the shelf stuff is a ripoff.

Purple is no longer in vogue
Now green 🍏 would be sweet 😀
Molygen UV.jpg

At the price point, and the quality compared to the others on walmart shelves, I’m surprised anyone would buy it. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone buy it at Walmart when I’m standing in the oil isle...usually see people going for Mobil1, or Valvoline, or super tech. Does anyone else notice that? People jumping on the Valvoline wagon? I don’t think I’ve bought Valvoline before...I did use Napa house synthetic for years, which supposedly was valvoline/made by Valvoline. And it was “good”. Haha.

Hmm. I will have to look to see if RP is missing from the shelves at the local Walmart stores that I shop at. Kind of a bummer if it is gone. That means that they probably did clearance pricing, and I missed out on it.

If Walmart has stopped carrying RP, this will the the second time that I am aware of. Back in 2015, I picked up 6 jugs of RP 0W-20 when it was on closeout for $4/jug. For that price, it was too big of a temptation to try.

It has been a few months ago but found royal purple 0w20 on clearance for 19.99.... Ipurchased all four of them. I use Mobile 1 but could not pass this up....

It has been a few months ago but found royal purple 0w20 on clearance for 19.99.... Ipurchased all four of them. I use Mobile 1 but could not pass this up....
Yes a few years ago my only purchase of RP came at that price from Walmart a couple years ago now. Used one of the Jugs up no pros and no cons I'd buy another Jug at under $20.

Yes a few years ago my only purchase of RP came at that price from Walmart a couple years ago now. Used one of the Jugs up no pros and no cons I'd buy another Jug at under $20.
That is exactly how I felt after using it. I have UOA results for 7 oil changes, 3 of which are for RP. The RP UOA results are no different than the UOA results from the PP, PUP, Castrol Edge, or Idemitsu. Wear values are all similar. Viscosity values are all in the same range.

So yea, I would say the RP is on par with the other motor oils that I put in my Outback.

That is exactly how I felt after using it. I have UOA results for 7 oil changes, 3 of which are for RP. The RP UOA results are no different than the UOA results from the PP, PUP, Castrol Edge, or Idemitsu. Wear values are all similar. Viscosity values are all in the same range.

So yea, I would say the RP is on par with the other motor oils that I put in my Outback.
There's a lot of money to be made selling boutique motor oils. You just have to create that illusion of magic ingredients. Perhaps the magic has faded for RP, it was mostly a dust collector at the WM near me.

There's a lot of money to be made selling boutique motor oils. You just have to create that illusion of magic ingredients. Perhaps the magic has faded for RP, it was mostly a dust collector at the WM near me.
As I said before, the shelf stuff is a ripoff. Their HPS is good oil, you can find lots of UOA of their HPS line on here.

Yeah that is true … Royal Purple HPS is legit a very good motor oil. I believe it still uses their Synerlec additive too.

Roopty Doo RP from Wally World certainly does not have that in it.

Back