2021 Lexus ES300 Royal Purple XPR 10169 miles on oil

This is Royal Purple XPR 4 quarts 0w20 and 1 quart 0w10. Total mileage on car is 30945 at the time of testing. Changed out the air filter to fram ultra so hopefully the silicon number will come down. Driving is 90% city. This oil was in use for about 14 months. Oil filter was Toyota spin on. New oil is Royal Purple XPR 0w8 with Toyota oil filter. Any questions please ask.
Screenshot_20231205-190633.png

Last edited:
Silicon was most likely from sealants not so much the air filter on such a new engine especially considering everything else is trending downward.

I imagine the iron is elevated (for a toyota) due to the city driving. Possibly short tripping too? I drive many short trips and that limits my interest in extended OCI's. Not that anything is catastrophic here by any means.

Surprised the Oil Life Monitor brought it out that far with 90% city driving or was the OLM not used? Copper is trending down, AL ticked up a bit, Fe is steady for last two changes. Are you interested in using/testing a Xw-30?

I imagine the iron is elevated (for a toyota) due to the city driving. Possibly short tripping too? I drive many short trips and that limits my interest in extended OCI's. Not that anything is catastrophic here by any means.
Ya work is 3 miles from home so lots of short trips and city driving. You are correct about iron especially for a Toyota.

Surprised the Oil Life Monitor brought it out that far with 90% city driving or was the OLM not used? Copper is trending down, AL ticked up a bit, Fe is steady for last two changes. Are you interested in using/testing a Xw-30?
Toyota doesn't have an OLM. Just 10000 mile intervals. The oil that went in was Royal Purple XPR 0w8. Let's see what happens hehe

Toyota doesn't have an OLM. Just 10000 mile intervals. The oil that went in was Royal Purple XPR 0w8. Let's see what happens hehe
Please don't find this offensive but a "Luxury" brand such as Lexus not having an OLM surprises me. Especially, when 10,000 miles all city is harder on the oil than 10k highway. They really cheaped out there.

I'm not digging your choice to go thinner oil on the next run but I'm always interested in others testing that idea at their expense. I'll be waiting for your results & I'll assume you'll be retesting that Royal Purple when that time comes. Enjoy your day. :)

Lexus does not spec 0W8 for this car brand new. I suspect your car's recommendation is 0W20, maybe 0W16. I think the best oil selection, and really the most engineered oils out there are in the 0W20 weight. Regardless, you are on your own with this "home brewed, self-driven" retrofit. What's the goal here?

Aluminum is higher than I'd like to see, and appears to be trending up, which is also not a positive development.

Please don't find this offensive but a "Luxury" brand such as Lexus not having an OLM surprises me. Especially, when 10,000 miles all city is harder on the oil than 10k highway. They really cheaped out there.

I'm not digging your choice to go thinner oil on the next run but I'm always interested in others testing that idea at their expense. I'll be waiting for your results & I'll assume you'll be retesting that Royal Purple when that time comes. Enjoy your day. :)
No offense taken and you're right Toyota needs to have a real oil life monitor like Honda does.

Yes I went thinner just to test things out. I'll probably go thicker after this run. Im just curious as to how the 0w8 does. The valvetrain is a tad noisier for sure.

Lexus does not spec 0W8 for this car brand new. I suspect your car's recommendation is 0W20, maybe 0W16. I think the best oil selection, and really the most engineered oils out there are in the 0W20 weight. Regardless, you are on your own with this "home brewed, self-driven" retrofit. What's the goal here?
The oil spec for this car is 0w16. Toyota does recommend 0w8 for the Corolla Cross now so I said what the heck let's try it out and see how it does. So no goal really. Just curiosity.

Aluminum is higher than I'd like to see, and appears to be trending up, which is also not a positive development.
I saw that too. Let's see how it does on this run. Will definitely go thicker once this run is done. Might test this oil at 5000 miles and see how aluminum is trending. Thanks for the heads up.

Driving is 90% city. This oil was in use for about 14 months. Oil filter was Toyota spin on. New oil is Royal Purple XPR 0w8 with Toyota oil filter. Any questions please ask.
10k miles is pushing it with 90% city driving that includes a lot of short trips in cold winters. Toyota's 12-month OCI requirement is meant to keep intervals shorter in these conditions, and I'd stick within it. You don't want to give them a reason to deny warranty.

I think the 0W-8 will do just fine, as long as you don't drive really hard and get the oil hot. Your car has an oil cooler that should keep the oil close to the coolant temperature in normal driving.

10k miles is pushing it with 90% city driving that includes a lot of short trips in cold winters. Toyota's 12-month OCI requirement is meant to keep intervals shorter in these conditions, and I'd stick within it. You don't want to give them a reason to deny warranty.

I think the 0W-8 will do just fine, as long as you don't drive really hard and get the oil hot. Your car has an oil cooler that should keep the oil close to the coolant temperature in normal driving.
I drive like an old man so I never push the car at all. Even at 90% city driving and OCIs of 10000 miles the TBN is pretty high.

Have a 21 rx 2gr-fks engine. have been running Toyota 0w-20 (5k mile intervals) in it since new. haven't thought twice about it. its under warranty let them worry about it.

Back