Royal Purple goes d1G2 / SN plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never tried RP since it felt like an older formulation
Then found this link http://pqiadata.org/RoyalPurple_5W30.html and decided to give it a try since it was on a monthly flyer of AAP

That's what I've got - goes in on the next OCI
Excuse me for the picture quality, I was in a bit of a rush

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by donnyj08
It looks like Valvoline advanced synthetic.

The previous SN also looked like Valvoline Synpower in VOAs

Something to think about

Valvoline Advanced 5w30 VOA

Well, if we just compare numbers, I would still say they're not the same - RP TBN is 1.3 point higher, and other values' difference is just way to much to be a measuring error IMO.
And hey, it's purple lol!

Would be interesting to VOA this against their HPS oil of the same weight. I run their HPS series oil in my 2 supercharged engines. The conventional engines get M1 Euro 0-40.

So what does the hive say about Royal Purple? Good stuff? I've never run it I guess more because of the gimmicky purple coloring, but otherwise have never heard anything bad about it.

RP HMX became an SN oil without an API donut. Says "Meets/exceeds API service SN." Still has Synerlec. It always used to be API SL with the donut, so I hope to see a VOA of it.

I've used RP SN, HMX, And HPS in the past. It's perfectly serviceable oil.

However, it isn't any better IMO than any other OTS ILSAC lube one can easily get for half the cost.

It seems almost all synthetics have become boutique now. I still like RP, but always try to buy it on Amazon with Chase rewards lol. I like using the purple stuff without the purple pricetag.

Originally Posted by Loobit

However, it isn't any better IMO than any other OTS ILSAC lube one can easily get for half the cost.

It seems almost all synthetics have become boutique now. I still like RP, but always try to buy it on Amazon with Chase rewards lol. I like using the purple stuff without the ROYAL pricetag.

(fixed it for you)

I had a connection a few years back when I could get 12 quart cases of it for around $25. I was using their SJ rated Synerlec 20W50 in my 300ZX. I posted a uoa of it here.

They do hold Unique Dexos License Numbers, so even if its the same as something else, they paid their own way on the certification.

0W-20 - D10051HE084
5W-30 - D10175GJ084

Originally Posted by ctechbob
They do hold Unique Dexos License Numbers, so even if its the same as something else, they paid their own way on the certification.

0W-20 - D10051HE084
5W-30 - D10175GJ084

^^^^^^^^^^^

I think this is a very valid point here.

Originally Posted by 4WD

It seems almost all synthetics have become boutique now. I still like RP, but always try to buy it on Amazon with Chase rewards lol. I like using the purple stuff without the ROYAL pricetag.

(fixed it for you)

I know people mostly dislike AAP here, but I've got this 5qt jug and a filter combo for less than $25 - yeah I had to combine some speed perks coupon with boa 10% cashback offer, yet it all took less than a minute. So, no royal pricing in my case

Originally Posted by SlavaB
Originally Posted by 4WD

(fixed it for you)

I know people mostly dislike AAP here, but I've got this 5qt jug and a filter combo for less than $25 - yeah I had to combine some speed perks coupon with boa 10% cashback offer, yet it all took less than a minute. So, no royal pricing in my case

Who really cares what other people think about your purchases? We all have different likes and dislikes.

Originally Posted by SlavaB
Originally Posted by 4WD

(fixed it for you)

I just unsubscribed from AAP's mailing list. Tried to use my "Expiring soon" 25% off: would not work. Site gave script errors like it was designed by third graders doing a computer report, as it always does. Normal website offered 20%

AAP is a scam. I got a product for $53 or $57 that usually costs $64 or $69, that was "20% off" it clearly wasnt.. this same product is on sale everyday for $41 or $48 at Amazon.

I'm done with Advance.

As to Royal Purple, not sure there is one single thing special about them anymore. Last good Royal Purple was API SL, had Synerlec and a weird smell (that was the Synerlec) and was 0W-40 and cost $12 a quart. Now only their Max ATF is good and that costs $16 a quart at Advance, but appears to work well as a top-off, or if you are just rich. Used to be $15 a quart. Now, the $12 a jug for a gallon at Walmart, have not seen a side-by-side shootout, but, if you were just topping off...

Aside from that? Royal Purple, be gone, your royalty was removed at API SN.

Originally Posted by talest

I just unsubscribed from AAP's mailing list. Tried to use my "Expiring soon" 25% off: would not work. Site gave script errors like it was designed by third graders doing a computer report, as it always does. Normal website offered 20%

AAP is a scam. I got a product for $53 or $57 that usually costs $64 or $69, that was "20% off" it clearly wasnt.. this same product is on sale everyday for $41 or $48 at Amazon.

I'm done with Advance.

As to Royal Purple, not sure there is one single thing special about them anymore. Last good Royal Purple was API SL, had Synerlec and a weird smell (that was the Synerlec) and was 0W-40 and cost $12 a quart. Now only their Max ATF is good and that costs $16 a quart at Advance, but appears to work well as a top-off, or if you are just rich. Used to be $15 a quart. Now, the $12 a jug for a gallon at Walmart, have not seen a side-by-side shootout, but, if you were just topping off...

Aside from that? Royal Purple, be gone, your royalty was removed at API SN.

Not advertising AAP here, but I've never had these problems. Their discount codes don't work for oil combo purchases and items already on sale, and they clearly state that. They also have online chat with a real person ready to help (no one else has it like AZ, Oreilly, Napa) the last time I thought the promo wasn't applying I've reached out to them and they issued we a $20 off coupon right away, even tho it was my fault. As for the prices, they do have a break down after you've entered your code - if you'll post here a legit screenshot of AAP cart with added promotion which will have an invalid math behind the final price I'll personally buy you a full synthetic oil combo of your choice delivered to your door. I'm just really tired of messages here like "AAP is a scam" without a real proof

Last edited:

It seems almost all synthetics have become boutique now. I still like RP, but always try to buy it on Amazon with Chase rewards lol. I like using the purple stuff without the purple pricetag.

I like RP when I'm able to buy it at a good price!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back