Royal Purple video series (4 parts).

I think it’s still my favorite synthetic oil if I could find it in more than just 5W-30 that would be great. 🙂. The parts store sells the 10W-30 and 10W-40 but I’m not paying $57 for it there when it’s only $37-$47 at Walmart.

I know one guy who is one of the foremost expert mechanics that I have ever come across and he is a big fan of Royal Purple oil since he first began using their products. He is convinced that there is something more to this oil than just a above average price tag.

FWIW I have never used Royal Purple oil but I am a big fan of their fuel additive products like Max Clean and Max Atomizer which both produced excellent results for me near instantly.

;)
snake-oil-salesman.jpg

Royal Purple is a knockoff of Valvoline. There's nothing special about it. You're just paying for some purple dye.

There was a day when that wasn't the case back before the original owner/founder died. After his in-laws sold the company down the river, fired 95% of the staff, and went to drastically cutting corners in production, they haven't been the same. They had sludge issues for a few years there that cost them a lot of sponsorships and contracts which is why they almost dried up from motorsports in 2015-16. Nowadays, they just copy other brands. The XPR line is about the only one left unaltered.

PQIA analysis of Royal Purple 5w-30: https://pqia.org/royal-purple-sae-5w-30-api-sp-synthetic-motor-oil/

VOA of Valvoline Advanced 5w-30: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/voa-valvoline-synthetic-dexos1-gen-2-5w30.284749/

Royal Purple is a knockoff of Valvoline. There's nothing special about it. You're just paying for some purple dye.

There was a day when that wasn't the case back before the original owner/founder died. After his in-laws sold the company down the river, fired 95% of the staff, and went to drastically cutting corners in production, they haven't been the same. They had sludge issues for a few years there that cost them a lot of sponsorships and contracts which is why they almost dried up from motorsports in 2015-16. Nowadays, they just copy other brands. The XPR line is about the only one left unaltered.

PQIA analysis of Royal Purple 5w-30: https://pqia.org/royal-purple-sae-5w-30-api-sp-synthetic-motor-oil/

VOA of Valvoline Advanced 5w-30: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/voa-valvoline-synthetic-dexos1-gen-2-5w30.284749/
Agree … they had an excellent NMMA 4 stroke marine oil that I used …
I think the cost cutters jettisoned that.

What does everyone think?🤔

Royal Purple API approved oil isn't going to be any better at cleaning or anything else than something like Valvoline, which it appears almost identical to. Their Synerlec additive (a sulphated ester) has been claimed to provide some benefit in the snake oil one-armed bandit tests, whether it did anything of benefit in an actual engine? probably not. This is not in their API oils.

Regarding the video, given there is no before and after, all the statements made about its performance are based on what exactly? The fact his oil went dark? It's got purple dye in it...

We've seen better examples of cleanliness posted on here with other oils including Mobil 1, AMSOIL, Redline and Ravenol. Some of the recent Ravenol pics were VERY impressive for the mileage on the engine and Ravenol's premium engine oils actually have OEM certifications and approvals.

Royal Purple API approved oil isn't going to be any better at cleaning or anything else than something like Valvoline, which it appears almost identical to. Their Synerlec additive (a sulphated ester) has been claimed to provide some benefit in the snake oil one-armed bandit tests, whether it did anything of benefit in an actual engine? probably not. This is not in their API oils.

Regarding the video, given there is no before and after, all the statements made about its performance are based on what exactly? The fact his oil went dark? It's got purple dye in it...

We've seen better examples of cleanliness posted on here with other oils including Mobil 1, AMSOIL, Redline and Ravenol. Some of the recent Ravenol pics were VERY impressive for the mileage on the engine and Ravenol's premium engine oils actually have OEM certifications and approvals.
Not so sure about all of that. RP cleaned Blake's wallet out like no other.....

Back