Royal Purple vs Competitors

Looks like RP has improved since Calumet took them over.

Notice on the bottom they reference SWRI. Also notice how poor the shear stability is of the prior version of M1 EP. M1's formulation has changed since this test.

What I found interesting about their 5w30 HPS oil is it has a VI of 193 but is extremely shear stable per ASTM 6278.

"The oxidation resistance, synthetic solvency and varnish control contribute to incredible cleanliness inside the engine. These unique formulations enable HPS oils to outperform leading synthetic and conventional lubricants in both gasoline and diesel engines"

I guess they're using POE from Calumet if I had to guess being they are a manufacturer.

1683282893430.png

1683282955009.png

The XPR can clean as well.

Last edited:
Does this oil have PAO?
I don't know they don't say. I've read they are III/IV and V like most these days. But it appears the HPS and XPR have more solvency than the off-shelf versions.

Perhaps their HPS 5w30 contains more esters. God only knows what their addpack is like. Their PDS says is meets the performance requirements of ACEA E9 - 2016. If so, why in the world would I use it in a passenger car?

EDIT: Another thing is that the testing was done in 2016 - 2019. Is that even relevant today?

Last edited:
Did you notice the testing was performed by SWRI in 2006- 2009. Hardly relevant today IMO
2016-2019, but yes you're right it is dated.

The Amsoil is likely still the same formulation. Mobil 1 is definitely changed since then.

The current M1 is more shear stable now based on the viscometrics.

Yeah, I don't know. Those graphs aren't presented properly, especially D2782. That one in particular has a high tolerance band. Does it even apply to motor oils?

Things like that, along with the concerns noted above have me saying hmm... But maybe that's just me.

Yeah, I don't know. Those graphs aren't presented properly, especially D2782. That one in particular has a high tolerance band. Does it even apply to motor oils?

Things like that, along with the concerns noted above have me saying hmm... But maybe that's just me.
Agree. The D2782 I think is Timken based, which I don't think is that relevant to motor oils.

From what I'm seeing the HPS and XPR are the two standouts within their line. They appear to have good solvency.

Agree. The D2782 I think is Timken based, which I don't think is that relevant to motor oils.

From what I'm seeing the HPS and XPR are the two standouts within their line. They appear to have good solvency.
I just get suspicious when certain and specific material property tests are presented as proof of superiority when there are many other tests that might be more relevant to overall performance. If you are citing an ASTM procedure then it should be illustrated in accordance with that procedure's requirements.

Plus what are the units on some of those graphs? For example the shear stability. I see they note that as viscosity decreases the wear increases (which is correct) but they also never really say that each lubricant was of the same grade. Was it? Or even the same winter rating, which could affect the results. I assume they are comparing apples to apples here and maybe I just missed the part where they state they are.

Last edited:
The only test that is of interest to me among the ones they covered is the shear stability test. The others don't really tell me anything. Amsoil did a shear stability test on a few competitors a few years ago and showed similar results to RP. That was the prior M1 formulation though and not the current formulation which should definitely have better shear stability.

The VI of 193 for their 5w30 with that shear stability rating is quite impressive.

Last edited:
Can someone explain the shear stability? Is M1 that much better or worse?
Amsoil showed similar results of the SN+ formulation of Mobil 1. I believe the Triple Action uses less VIIs and should be more shear stable.

The shear stability test above is the only worth noting as the rest don't tell you much about anything.

1683309760106.png

Last edited:
The ester content comes from their proprietary synerlec additive. Its rumored to be a sulfurized ester. Their XPR line has a boat load of synerlac hence why the price per quart is $17+. Their HPS line has a good amount of synerlec too. I was told by their tech line that XPR has 4 times more synerlec than the HPS line.

Right now in the sump of my 2021 Lexus ES300h I have 4 quarts of RP XPR 0w20 and 1 quart of RP XPR 0w10. UOA to come probably around July/August. First UOA ever of the XPR line for me.

This is the third or fourth time recently that I’ve heard about the old Mobil1 EP formula having a tendency to shear a little bit. I ran a 10,000 OCI with a UOA, and someone pointed out to me that it had sheared (despite the analysis being FANTASTIC) and they were right, it did shear a little bit. They pointed out to me what the starting viscosity of the oil was/should have been (from Mobil1’s web site), and what mine dropped to, and yeah, it did drop, however wear metals were extremely low for a 10,000 interval, and the TBN was still very strong.

Bottom line…I think every oil has its faults.

Yeah, the thread is a bit old, and I've had discussions with the OP about RP outside of here, but wanted to note that RP did not improve after Calumet tookover. In fact, it was quite the opposite. That's usually what happens though when a company comes in, fires 95% of the staff to bring in their own guys, and starts changing everything in the name of bigger profits.

Back