Royal Purple vs Competitors

typos in the description /
are you sure it's the real thing?

It also says it meets A3/B3-04 which was 3 generations outdated spec by the time Calumet even acquired Royal Purple. I would not trust that bottle in my lawnmower. The spelling aside, Calumet did some really sketchy and unethical things back then.

I've always liked comparisons showing oils tested against different standardized tests such as the ones I had originally posted. While some of them were not worth that much, some were rather interesting. Mobil 1's shear stability is pretty poor. I know that was older verisions but it does correlate with what we've seen on here through UOAs.

I also found this comment interesting:

"The oxidation resistance, synthetic solvency and varnish control contribute to incredible cleanliness inside the engine. These unique formulations enable HPS oils to outperform leading synthetic and conventional lubricants in both gasoline and diesel engines"

I have never used RP and have no desire to. I'm always up for looking at these types of tests though, which is why I posted it to begin with.

Last edited:
I agree. If using API certified stuff, i see no real difference where the metal meets the meat.

I have had good experiences with RP in the past, but that was with the older formula, before they had an API version.
True, but the price is only 1 dollar difference in my country with amsoil SS

It also says it meets A3/B3-04 which was 3 generations outdated spec by the time Calumet even acquired Royal Purple. I would not trust that bottle in my lawnmower. The spelling aside, Calumet did some really sketchy and unethical things back then.
Hahaha that's true, why so expensive then?

Back