Been emailing back and forth with Royal purple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Foreignjunky
I want a 5w40 for the summer.

Why?

You can easily run 0w-40 all year long, just as you can easily run 5w-40 all year long in your climate. I see no reason to keep switching back and forth with every season.

I want a 5w40 for the summer. So what would be a good choice

Find one that meets the spec

Is that simple enough.

Why 5w-40. You do know they are the same viscosity hot?

Look for the Porsche a40 certification.

...As for everyone else. Sorry for being a pest I just can't seem to decide. I don't want to use Mobil 1. I just don't. I haven't had good luck in the past and the only reason it's in there now is because at the time I needed an oil change quick so I used what I found easily to get by. I'm just trying to decide what's going to be best other than Mobil 1. Everytime I've posted everyone says Mobil 1. I want something else. And everytime I said I wanted something else then no one would tell me what was good or bad. I may be obsessing but it's just the way I am... Sorry...

Let me get this straight... M1 0w40 has ALL of the german approvals, including Porsche A40, and you are actually using it right now in your german car, but you don't want to use it...?

Do you find that not many people reply to your posts...? lol

Which is better then 0w or 5w all year

You are beyond help.

The answers have been posted. I suggest putting more effort into comprehension.

Which is better then 0w or 5w all year

The 0W-xx will thicken less in the winter. It just happens that two of the most approved oils come in that grade (M1 0w-40, Castrol 0w-40). The other options are 5w-40's from Valvoline and SOPUS.

You are making this into something absolutely ridiculous. Obsessing over the minutiae to the point of it being painful.

Obviously I doubt they will tell everything they put in their motor oil and of course they will tell anyone what they want to here. That's marketing. But is it worth a try? Currently using Mobil 1 0w40 but want to try something else just because. Also not a fan of XOM. But will be using their 0w40 for winter purposes here in New York. Unless I decide to make the switch to RP then it will be there 0w40 for the winter and 5w40 now.

What's wrong with XM?

royal purple's comments reminds me of what red line told me years ago that a uoa only shows elements and not the molecular structure of the oil and that uoa and voa mean very little.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Obviously I doubt they will tell everything they put in their motor oil and of course they will tell anyone what they want to here. That's marketing. But is it worth a try? Currently using Mobil 1 0w40 but want to try something else just because. Also not a fan of XOM. But will be using their 0w40 for winter purposes here in New York. Unless I decide to make the switch to RP then it will be there 0w40 for the winter and 5w40 now.

What's wrong with XM?

He could be like me in that he just doesn't like the company for whatever irrational reason.
Heck it had been years that I didn't use a mobil product til you eased me into it.
M1 is great oil. I just don't like the company.
New guy might share my distaste.

you state you have had bad luck with Mobil 1 in the past. How so? Can you directly point to an engine failure and definitivly say the oil was the cause? Most engine failure is related to poor design or in a carbeureted design, raw fuel washing down the cylinders....

Really? Really? How many friggin times does Rotella T6 need to be mentioned for you to get it?

Use whatever friggin oil you want. Your Audi ain't under warranty.

Originally Posted By: Brigadier

Really? Really? How many friggin times does Rotella T6 need to be mentioned for you to get it?

Use whatever friggin oil you want. Your Audi ain't under warranty.

Hehehe. Great point.

A conventional hdeo with can if mos2 would work great too

Originally Posted By: philipp10
you state you have had bad luck with Mobil 1 in the past. How so? Can you directly point to an engine failure and definitivly say the oil was the cause? Most engine failure is related to poor design or in a carbeureted design, raw fuel washing down the cylinders....

The only thing anyone can hold against m1 is it MAY increase the acoustics heard from some engines.
That's it.
If someone can point out an engine failure that M1 caused I'll eat my shirt

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
royal purple's comments reminds me of what red line told me years ago that a uoa only shows elements and not the molecular structure of the oil and that uoa and voa mean very little.

Their comments are very much in-line with Doug Hillary's extensive posts on the proper use of UOA's vs how they are often used on here.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22

Their comments are very much in-line with Doug Hillary's extensive posts on the proper use of UOA's vs how they are often used on here.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Must be some weird sort of conspiracy theory...........

Originally Posted By: Donald
Write down your question word for word and I'll be sure to email him.

"Oxidation as I understand it is related to the condition of the base oil, while TBN is related to the condition of the additive package. How does one interpret oxidation along with viscosity to determine if an oil is beyond its useful life".

Just asked, will let you know what is said. As for everyone else. Sorry for being a pest I just can't seem to decide. I don't want to use Mobil 1. I just don't. I haven't had good luck in the past and the only reason it's in there now is because at the time I needed an oil change quick so I used what I found easily to get by. I'm just trying to decide what's going to be best other than Mobil 1. Everytime I've posted everyone says Mobil 1. I want something else. And everytime I said I wanted something else then no one would tell me what was good or bad. I may be obsessing but it's just the way I am... Sorry...
How does "luck" affect motor oil?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back