Royal purple 5w30 honest opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Royal Purple is good oil at a bad (high) price. No need to switch, in fact Mobil might be the better oil anyway.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I think it is their HPS line that is popular among street racers, but it is not API certified.

I didn't see anything about their SN 5W30 that suggested it was worth paying a premium for.

Agreed.

I might suggest The OP may wish to try a REAL synthetic for once.

RP is like BOSE - street myth High end for the unwashed Walmart Trailer crowd
smile.gif

Your Walmart sells trailers and they don’t even keep them clean?

RP Motor oil is decent, but overpriced, I dont like their gear oils.

For example
RP 5w30 5qt jug is $41 at walmart
M1 5w30 5qt jug is $23 at walmart + 12 MIR = $11

Originally Posted By: 4WD
I think it is their HPS line that is popular among street racers, but it is not API certified.

I didn't see anything about their SN 5W30 that suggested it was worth paying a premium for.

Agreed.

smile.gif

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
It looks like Arco is insulting ALL people that shop at Walmart. My Walmart is very clean, well stocked, friendly and helpful and saves me money. I don't go often but I've not seen any toothless "Walmart video people" there. And there are no trailers on site in the parking lot
21.gif
. It's ok I'll continue to shop there for oil and save money, to each there own
grin.gif

Whimsey

Last edited:
RP is perfectly good oil. I'm running it right now. I also got it for a steal from my neighbor before he moved.

Like everyone else is saying...stick to what has been working. No need to switch now.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey

Agreed.

smile.gif

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
It looks like Arco is insulting ALL people that shop at Walmart. My Walmart is very clean, well stocked, friendly and helpful and saves me money. I don't go often but I've not seen any toothless "Walmart video people" there. And there are no trailers on site in the parking lot
21.gif
grin.gif

Whimsey

We have two just 12 miles in between … both fairly new, but carry different inventories … I can afford to buy things elsewhere
(I buy shirts, belts, shoes at better places)… but why buy oil and other consumables elsewhere …

I just did a PP + FU change for $19 thanks to the Walmart clearance aisle …

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
...My Walmart is very clean, well stocked, friendly and helpful and saves me money. I don't go often but I've not seen any toothless "Walmart video people" there. And there are no trailers on site in the parking lot
21.gif
grin.gif

Whimsey

No problems with my Walmart and I believe that they no longer allow overnight trailer or RV parking. They have a standing offer to hire any veteran and that speaks well for the company. Great prices on motor oils is an added plus.

I've run the regular Royal Purple with no problems in various vehicles but I don't think it's worth paying extra when Valvoline or Castrol is cheaper and gives you same performance. Now RP HPS is a different beast, much better oil.

We have two just 12 miles in between … both fairly new, but carry different inventories … I can afford to buy things elsewhere
(I buy shirts, belts, shoes at better places)… but why buy oil and other consumables elsewhere …

I just did a PP + FU change for $19 thanks to the Walmart clearance aisle …

My experience is that clothes from places like WM and Target tend to be poor values because they just don't last very long.
I saw some dress pants at Target that looked OK and thought they were worth a shot at something like $15 apiece...the cheap plastic zippers on both failed in less than a month, so the ROI was terrible. I asked my wife if she could look at fixing them as she is handy with a sewing machine and she said she'd rather just take me to the Haggar outlet and buy me two new pairs than spend time working on cheap pants that were probably just going to fail soon in some other way.
Other low cost items from such places have faded, shrunk a lot, split at the seams, etc. Not everything, but enough that I stay away. I stopped ordering things from Sierra Trading Post for the same reason, the rate of "wins" was too low.

I do like to look for bargains at stores I trust more...I love tshirts with a chest pocket and saw some at EMS marked way down to $10-15, and they seemed to be well made from the right stuff. When I got them home, I saw why they were on clearance...the pockets were maybe 5 degrees from being straight up and down. I didn't care, they are great summer weekend wear as they give me a place to put my sunglasses.

Just to add a thought here, RP gets their components from the major oil companies so the difference may or may not be that significant except for the purple dye.

Seriously?

Hate RP and those who use RP that much??

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Happy to be proved wrong by the fanbois however,

You are not going to find any "fanbois" here.

Through the years, there has been abundant (and at times overwhelming) mindless irrational hatred of RP here instead.

Long time members here might remember how much I ragged on RP in the early days because it seemed like every UOA with it showed the viscosity thinning out quickly and by a huge amount too. So someone from RP called me out and offered to send me a case of free oil for me to test myself. That backfired miserably for them though, because in my testing, RP 5w30 did thin out quickly and by a huge amount. Wear numbers across the board were much higher for me too. This was at least 10 years ago though, maybe a bit more, so I'm sure they have reformulated their oil a few times since.

Reason have been asking i got a couple of 5 qts jugs at a real good price they fire saled them at my walmart...not sellin well so was rhinking about switching but will run one change on the ranger see how it does and head back to mobil1 ep.....

Originally Posted By: Patman
Long time members here might remember how much I ragged on RP in the early days because it seemed like every UOA with it showed the viscosity thinning out quickly and by a huge amount too. So someone from RP called me out and offered to send me a case of free oil for me to test myself. That backfired miserably for them though, because in my testing, RP 5w30 did thin out quickly and by a huge amount. Wear numbers across the board were much higher for me too. This was at least 10 years ago though, maybe a bit more, so I'm sure they have reformulated their oil a few times since.

Concerning..

Similar thing happened to one of the big-deal members on RX8Club IIRC.

I tried RP 5W-20 in my F150 4.6 in April. No change in performance, mileage, or anything else other than the engine sounding slightly different and my wallet being lighter. I went back to Valvoline Full Synthetic Max Life in June.

Not sure about the API stuff but the HPS doesn't seem to shear. This is a 9K UOA of HPS in a Nissan 5.6
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4830787#Post4830787

Stick with Mobil 1, Royal Purple is overpriced and overrated. It's never impressed me much, it tries so hard to be a boutique oil like Amsoil and Redline but still falls short of that. Plus the dark purple dye bothers me, looks like used oil dumping it in and doesn't feel right! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back