Mobil1 Adv Full Synthetic 5w30

After the less than stellar UOA I had done on my 96 Civic with Supertech Full Syn 5w30 (my opinion, didn't like the results), I decided to change to Mobil1 Advanced Full Synthetic 5w30.

All the reviews that wanted to claim that Mobil1 was making their engine louder, are not true at all in my case. Maybe they have other issues going on but if anything Mobil1 in the Civic is just as quiet, if not a little more quiet than when I ran Castrol Magnatec in this engine! Which is a good thing. The engine is not only more quiet than Supertech but less "mechanical" sounding. When accelerating, the engine has less "strain" noise at higher rpms than before. I know people will demand that I explain "Strain" but that's the best I can explain.

I know that "sounds" are subjective (and not scientific) but I used to run regular dino Mobil in this engine before, not sure why I ever changed! Guess I have a bit of that BITOG "bug" and want to try different things. All in all I'd say that changing to Mobil1 was a smart move! Sure, it's just an initial opinion but I'm liking it so far!

I will do a UOA on this oil in the future be curious to see if the "better sound" correlates to a better UOA. I can't dismiss my dog ears picking up a difference. I do not think it's a placebo effect either. Should've taken db readings before/after.

I'm just happy with this new oil, so far, and wanted to share my experience.

My 03 Chevy 4.3 was running QS All Mileage since I owned it, I wanted to switch to QS Full Synthetic High Mileage but it was out of stock, some kind of shortage in my area still currently going on. Mobil 1 High Mileage was in stock though.

So I decided to give it a shot and so far it seems to be going great and the engine actually seems a little quieter than before although it is a really smooth and quiet engine to begin with.

I also put it in my Toyota 1MZ-FE which has been running QS it's whole life, no problems with it so far as well and it does seem to be doing slightly better on gas.

People often jump on bs bandwagons, just like the people who claim til this day that QS/Pennzoil as well as Valvoline sludge up engines, that is complete bs and comes from the 70s.

Anyways I hope to see your UOA, keep in mind you may have some old oil remaining in the engine that might throw the results off a little bit, and I have seen wear metals increase slightly for an OCI when switching oils, so maybe wait until after another run of Mobil 1 before spending the money on a UOA.

After the less than stellar UOA I had done on my 96 Civic with Supertech Full Syn 5w30 (my opinion, didn't like the results), I decided to change to Mobil1 Advanced Full Synthetic 5w30.

All the reviews that wanted to claim that Mobil1 was making their engine louder, are not true at all in my case. Maybe they have other issues going on but if anything Mobil1 in the Civic is just as quiet, if not a little more quiet than when I ran Castrol Magnatec in this engine! Which is a good thing. ... ...

I will do a UOA on this oil in the future be curious to see if the "better sound" correlates to a better UOA. I can't dismiss my dog ears picking up a difference. I do not think it's a placebo effect either. Should've taken db readings before/after.

What year and engine and transmission - you don't have your car and OCI info in your signature tray.

Who came out with that "Advanced" moniker first? Valvoline or M1?
I recall running Valvoline Advanced full synthetic back 4 years and 2 cars ago in my Rogue (Qashqai). It truly was "advanced" for them, as they moved from their traditional Sodium package (like Castrol GTX dino to a Mo, B AW package.

Don't bother wasting money on a UOA unless you are trying to push the OCI - even then, you can perform a home TBN titration with a Dexsil TitraLube kit.

- Ken

Last edited:
1681824849723.jpg

How long has the M1 been in the motor? Can you report back in a few thousand miles if it is still quieter when the oil has some miles on it
I don't know about him, but for me it is going to take a few months to reach that, but my Toyota now has a few hundred miles on the Mobil 1 and it is still quiet.

But I won't sugar coat it, if I find anything off I will say it and go back to QS because that is a brand I have stuck with for many years and hell I may or may not be a QS fan boy :)

Anyways I hope to see your UOA, keep in mind you may have some old oil remaining in the engine that might throw the results off a little bit, and I have seen wear metals increase slightly for an OCI when switching oils, so maybe wait until after another run of Mobil 1 before spending the money on a UOA.
Thanks @Furious, that makes a lot of sense, sort of a rinse out the old stuff, I'll definitely wait. Also nice to hear you've tried the M1 series in two of your engines with similar results as I've seen, good to know!

What year and engine and transmission - you don't have your car and OCI info in your signature tray.

Who came out with that "Advanced" moniker first? Valvoline or M1?
I recall running Valvoline Advanced full synthetic back 4 years and 2 cars ago in my Rogue (Qashqai). It truly was "advanced" for them, as they moved from their traditional Sodium package (like Castrol GTX dino to a Mo, B AW package.

Don't bother wasting money on a UOA unless you are trying to push the OCI - even then, you can perform a home TBN titration with a Dexsil TitraLube kit.

- Ken
I will add it, it's the D16Y5, vtec-e engine, manual trans. I didn't even know there was a home TBN, awesome info! (y)

How long has the M1 been in the motor? Can you report back in a few thousand miles if it is still quieter when the oil has some miles on it
Good point, forgot to add that, just a couple hundred miles so far. We'll see if it changes over time, just happy with the results so far. Was this happy when I tried Castrol's old Magnatec, nice to feel that again!

Forgot to add, yeah I'll post up how it goes as I get miles on this oil. No problem.

I don't know about him, but for me it is going to take a few months to reach that, but my Toyota now has a few hundred miles on the Mobil 1 and it is still quiet.

But I won't sugar coat it, if I find anything off I will say it and go back to QS because that is a brand I have stuck with for many years and hell I may or may not be a QS fan boy :)
Hey you may be a QS fan boy but that's ok and a good thing! Then you can be watching to see if the M1 has any issues, even better!

All the reviews that wanted to claim that Mobil1 was making their engine louder, are not true at all in my case. Maybe they have other issues going on but if anything Mobil1 in the Civic is just as quiet, if not a little more quiet than when I ran Castrol Magnatec in this engine! Which is a good thing. The engine is not only more quiet than Supertech but less "mechanical" sounding. When accelerating, the engine has less "strain" noise at higher rpms than before. I know people will demand that I explain "Strain" but that's the best I can explain.

I know that "sounds" are subjective (and not scientific) but I used to run regular dino Mobil in this engine before, not sure why I ever changed! Guess I have a bit of that BITOG "bug" and want to try different things. All in all I'd say that changing to Mobil1 was a smart move! Sure, it's just an initial opinion but I'm liking it so far!

I've had good luck running SuperTech Full Synthetic High Mileage 5W-30 in my Odysseys. Engines run smooth and quiet. No issues whatsoever. I'm very happy with the brand.

Back