Royal Purple 5W - 30 4800 miles 2008 F 150 5.4L V8

I'm guessing the RP High Performance lineup is the same as the Amsoil OE and the Redline Professional Series? I know the Amsoil and Redline are around $10 a quart. Isn't Royal Purple $39.99 per 5 quart jug, making it the best value among same level oils?
I'd buy the Amsoil OE before I bought Redline Professional (Kendall) or RP (Valvoline). If I found out that Amsoil OE was just rebottled whatever-brand that I could get off the shelf for cheaper, then I'd rule out all 3.

Back to the OP and his original post...
Welcome to BITOG! You've had a pretty good taste here of what it can sometimes be like.
I really like this video a lot, it seems to fit well here... I have a lot of respect for this guy. He is up in the Chicago area.

We have a 2006 F-150 5.4L for a work truck where I am at. It has a rough life. About 135k miles I think. It sometimes goes to the dealer for OC, sometimes quick lube places, sometimes gets forgotten about for quite a while. No noises or any issues yet...
My $.02 to the OP FWIW...
The M1 is going to do just as well for you as the RP and leave a few extra dollars in your pocket. I think that you would do just fine with 5k OCI. A Fram Ultra filter would be just as good for you as well; perhaps a Wix or Napa Gold too; again, and save you a few bucks.
I respect your diligence in taking care of your vehicle. I think that it will continue to serve you well for a long time to come.

Welcome to BITOG! You've had a pretty good taste here of what it can sometimes be like.
I really like this video a lot, it seems to fit well here... I have a lot of respect for this guy. He is up in the Chicago area.

We have a 2006 F-150 5.4L for a work truck where I am at. It has a rough life. About 135k miles I think. It sometimes goes to the dealer for OC, sometimes quick lube places, sometimes gets forgotten about for quite a while. No noises or any issues yet...
The M1 is going to do just as well for you as the RP and leave a few extra dollars in your pocket. I think that you would do just fine with 5k OCI. A Fram Ultra filter would be just as good for you as well; perhaps a Wix or Napa Gold too; again, and save you a few bucks.
I respect your diligence in taking care of your vehicle. I think that it will continue to serve you well for a long time to come.

My issue with this video is why did the engine go kaput at only 135,000 miles? Yeah it's clean and all, but why did this engine destroy the timing chain at only 135K? At the end of the video he says something about seeing some camshaft wear at 4:29. He says he has a shop full of them. I'm not blaming the oil, I'm just curious.

This was a fun thread from long ago:

This was a fun thread from long ago:

Yeah that's what a good thread is but unfortunately it's not the same BITOG as it used to be.

I'm guessing the RP High Performance lineup is the same as the Amsoil OE and the Redline Professional Series? I know the Amsoil and Redline are around $10 a quart. Isn't Royal Purple $39.99 per 5 quart jug, making it the best value among same level oils?
None of them are worth $10 a quart LOL. Should be around the 22-24 dollar range.Heck I get Redline Oil for less than $11 my discount,no way I'd buy any of those listed above for a Washington/Loonie less. Wish they all would get out of the OE business and stick to making true high performance oils.

I'd buy the Amsoil OE before I bought Redline Professional (Kendall) or RP (Valvoline). If I found out that Amsoil OE was just rebottled whatever-brand that I could get off the shelf for cheaper, then I'd rule out all 3.
Royal Purple is Valvoline? No joke,is that what is implied,suspected or is verifiable?

I think it was meant as an analogy via uoa/voa comparing the two oils' add packs on paper.

Yeah, I think it was a VOA that showed that the RP street (API) oil had what appeared to be an almost identical additive package to Valvoline. I expect they'd buy a canned approved one from Lubrizol or Infinium, so that's quite possible that it has the same pack as some of the other approved oils in the market from companies that lack the vertical integration of XOM, SOPUS or BP.

I found a deal on three 5 quart jugs of Royal Purple High Performance (API street oil I guess) 5w20 for $40. I thought about buying it, but I'm wary as to why they're nearly giving it away. Is it bad or just overpriced decent oil?

I found a deal on three 5 quart jugs of Royal Purple High Performance (API street oil I guess) 5w20 for $40. I thought about buying it, but I'm wary as to why they're nearly giving it away. Is it bad or just overpriced decent oil?

I'd already have bought them myself.

None of them are worth $10 a quart LOL. Should be around the 22-24 dollar range.Heck I get Redline Oil for less than $11 my discount,no way I'd buy any of those listed above for a Washington/Loonie less. Wish they all would get out of the OE business and stick to making true high performance oils.

I'd love to buy me some Red Line Oil at a good price for my truck. If you can help or point me in the right direction, I sure would appreciate it.

Thank you! 😁

I don't think that this guy knows as much about motor oil as he thinks he does...

It's the Advance Auto in my town. About a month ago, they had a RP oil change special with a boss filter for the same price as all the other ones. I guess they just can't move it. I went ahead and bought it tho. I'll report back if my engine blows up.

It's the Advance Auto in my town. About a month ago, they had a RP oil change special with a boss filter for the same price as all the other ones. I guess they just can't move it. I went ahead and bought it tho. I'll report back if my engine blows up.

Even though I've been using Schaeffer's oil for years now, I have used RP with no issues. I've used their HPS and am currently using the HMX of their oil in the riding lawn mower.

Boss oil filter (y)

Even though I've been using Schaeffer's oil for years now, I have used RP with no issues. I've used their HPS and am currently using the HMX of their oil in the riding lawn mower.

Boss oil filter (y)
I used to use the HPS because when I worked at Goodyear it was the only thing on the shelf specifically sold for flat tappet cams. At employee price it wasn't crazy expensive but still much more than buying on sale at Canadian Tire.

For the price most pay for RP, I’d say these are horrible results.

You’d get better wear results with 5k on PYB, GTX, QS at probably half or less the cost.

Silicon is a bit high, so it might be some of the wear...but not that much.

Depends on how you get it and what flavor you buy.
HPS in 5 gallon pails is 150 bucks shipped to your door, you want the oils with synelec, not the shelf oil.

Back