Royal Purple 5W - 30 4800 miles 2008 F 150 5.4L V8

Had the truck since new, has 81K miles now , I'll say 80% City driving . Make up oil of half a quart was Mobil 1 5W-30(all I had)

ALWAYS changed at 3000 miles(synthetic) but went longer this one time . Had spark plugs changed @ 75K .

using Mobil 1 5W-30 now ..... have used the RP oil filter for about 5 yrs now .

Capture.png

I'm interested to hear if you've had any of the dreaded cam phaser issues. I had an 04 5.4 and I preemptively changed solenoid on each side but did not do anything to the phasers. Never had any issue BUT the guy I bought the truck from had religiously done 3k and filter OCI's with PYB. I also kept a good schedule of OCI's and filters.

Do you plan on extending OCI or remaining with 5k?

Any concern with the iron count?

no cam phaser noise and depending on the feedback from BITOG I'll decide on the oil change intervals.

wanna see opinions by engine people a lot smarter than me on the iron count ;)

For the price most pay for RP, I’d say these are horrible results.

You’d get better wear results with 5k on PYB, GTX, QS at probably half or less the cost.

Silicon is a bit high, so it might be some of the wear...but not that much.

For the price most pay for RP, I’d say these are horrible results.

You’d get better wear results with 5k on PYB, GTX, QS at probably half or less the cost.

Silicon is a bit high, so it might be some of the wear...but not that much.

That's nonsense, Royal Purple is special. :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Had the truck since new, has 81K miles now , I'll say 80% City driving . Make up oil of half a quart was Mobil 1 5W-30(all I had)

ALWAYS changed at 3000 miles(synthetic) but went longer this one time . Had spark plugs changed @ 75K .

using Mobil 1 5W-30 now ..... have used the RP oil filter for about 5 yrs now .

Welcome !
Think you should move on from RP because they are not what they used to be.
That Mobil 1 can easily do 5k - or more if you get comfortable as a member here.
Royal Purple (buys) has good filters … but a Fram Ultra is just as good for $9 at Walmart …
(also a synthetic media over metal screen like RP) …

Welcome !
Think you should move on from RP because they are not what they used to be.
That Mobil 1 can easily do 5k - or more if you get comfortable as a member here.
Royal Purple (buys) has good filters … but a Fram Ultra is just as good for $9 at Walmart …
(also a synthetic media over metal screen like RP) …

I saw their new 5W-20 jugs at Walmart, and they no longer carry the Dexos 1 Gen 2 certification, neither are they displaying the logo. I wonder if Royal Purple decided to no longer spend money on Dexos. You're right, they're no longer what they used to be. I knew a guy who worked for Royal Purple, and he was always praising them. I see their jugs gather dust at Walmart. Oh well, it's good to have choices 😁

I'm not sure what people saw that made them think the RP didn't perform. Slightly higher iron than the average could be more start cycles with your 80% City Driving and/or a formulation they is slightly reactive with iron the way M1 used to be or simply your engines unique signature. Assuming you went back with Royal Purple again run it 5,000 mi again and see what you get the second time. If you want to try something different after that try M1 EP and see if the iron drops.

Price is a personal decision. If you are happy with the price / value of Royal Purple that's a personal thing. I have to sit on my wallet to keep from ordering Schaeffer's 7000 #701 at $9 a quart delivered and it's a Blend.

Some people want Havoline Synthetic for $17.97 for 6 qt and some want HPL.

I'm not sure what people saw that made them think the RP didn't perform.

I believe that most here hate Royal Purple because their API licensed oils are overpriced, without being materially better than their competition. Before I opened my eyes and learned as much as I did here on BITOG about motor oil, I used Royal Purple and didn't notice anything better or worse about how my engines were running. Other than the steep price, this forum pretty much convinced me never to spend money on it again.

Slightly higher iron than the average could be more start cycles with your 80% City Driving

I think you nailed it right here. Given enough time between startups the Iron can accumulate in a much shorter amount of time when compared to the miles he's driven.

is a personal decision. If you are happy with the price / value of Royal Purple that's a personal thing. I have to sit on my wallet to keep from ordering Schaeffer's 7000 #701 at $9 a quart delivered and it's a Blend.

Well, Schaeffer's makes good motor oil and doesn't use gimmicks like dying their oil purple to make people think that it's special 😆 You know your oils, that's for sure.

Some people want Havoline Synthetic for $17.97 for 6 qt and some want HPL.

Sometimes I wonder how much of our money spent on motor oil goes to packaging, marketing and fancy logos. Sometimes, when. I buy Mobil 1 I wonder how much of that money is going to the NASCAR logo on the jug. And then what I wonder even more about is why is Mobil printing a NASCAR logo on a Euro spec motor oil jug?

The bottom line is that if the product works well and is worth the price to you then spend the money on it. However, if it's average and not any better than the completion, then why buy to begin with? Or has buying motor oil become an emotional decision?

Whats the problem with royal purple nothing really ! its no better or worse than most oils , in my opinion its just not good value for your dollar.

to each his own....

Unless have a problem child engine I doubt the brand makes much difference. The guys that truly did 5000 mi OCI even with MC Blend rarely had a problem. Either you get a tensioner that no oil will save or you get one that will be fine as long as the oil is still in serviceable condition. I've seen guys have good luck on 3,000 - 6,000 mi conventional/blend changes and 8,000 - 10,000 mi M1 changes. If it was mine I would likely go 5,000 mi changes with something like ST Syn or Havoline Syn because I have a tendency to overkill everything. I may come from my racing background (It truly sucks to have to replace a $30,000 engine over a $0.75 part). RP in my opinion is an excellent product as I said earlier whether you believe you get your money's worth is a personal judgement.

The RP HATE never goes away. Brain dead.
It is an emotional issue to the RP haters. I have never seen a thread here with RP calmly discussed without setting people off. Just the mention of the words "Royal Purple" send some into a mental tizzy!
I read through the short thread here and never saw anything I'd call "hate". I think people like to throw out that term to deflect and make it look worse than it is.

Drop the goofy teenage "hate" label, grow up, and make a technical argument or response if you feel that the product is being maligned.

Unless have a problem child engine I doubt the brand makes much difference. The guys that truly did 5000 mi OCI even with MC Blend rarely had a problem. Either you get a tensioner that no oil will save or you get one that will be fine as long as the oil is still in serviceable condition. I've seen guys have good luck on 3,000 - 6,000 mi conventional/blend changes and 8,000 - 10,000 mi M1 changes. If it was mine I would likely go 5,000 mi changes with something like ST Syn or Havoline Syn because I have a tendency to overkill everything. I may come from my racing background (It truly sucks to have to replace a $30,000 engine over a $0.75 part). RP in my opinion is an excellent product as I said earlier whether you believe you get your money's worth is a personal judgement.
I think your bang on with this ! one of the guys at work has a 06 5.4 according to him truck has been outstanding.
He bought new tells me he is on a 5 to 7 thousand kilometer oil change regime never any engine issue's does all his own maintenance only real problem he has had other than normal wear and tear items, front diff , and couple solenoids in the trans, oh and rust lol. He has over 300 thousand kilometers on it now.

I read through the short thread here and never saw anything I'd call "hate". I think people like to throw out that term to deflect and make it look worse than it is.

Drop the goofy teenage "hate" label, grow up, and make a technical argument or response if you feel that the product is being maligned.

I absolutely expected some crappy condescending remark like that. The operative word in your response is "here". You have about 15,000 posts, so you are a long time member. You must be willfully ignoring the past 10+ years. RP has been hated with a passion, mostly by ones who have never even used it. NO oil elicits as much scorn as RP. None has ever been bashed as much. I have zero need to "make a technical argument or response" to suit you. Just open your eyes, look back over the past 10 years, and drop your willful ignorance.

Use whatever synthetic API oil you want; the waste of $ is not the RP, but the 3K OCI he usually does.

There was a UOA on here for a mini cooper that was >20K miles on RP; not suggesting that, but 3K? Really?

I absolutely expected some crappy condescending remark like that. The operative word in your response is "here". You have about 15,000 posts, so you are a long time member. You must be willfully ignoring the past 10+ years. RP has been hated with a passion, mostly by ones who have never even used it. NO oil elicits as much scorn as RP. None has ever been bashed as much. I have zero need to "make a technical argument or response" to suit you. Just open your eyes, look back over the past 10 years, and drop your willful ignorance.

There are two sides to this. While I agree RP has garnered some perhaps unnecessary or misplaced criticism the defence of the product and woe is me rhetoric put forth by its proponents is equally disproportionate. You can count on there never being balanced discourse from either side in these exchanges because the reasonable talking points are quickly buried beneath the vitriol and anecdotes eschewing its godly prowess with both sides quickly being buried in faeces.

Use whatever synthetic API oil you want; the waste of $ is not the RP, but the 3K OCI he usually does.

There was a UOA on here for a mini cooper that was >20K miles on RP; not suggesting that, but 3K? Really?
3k on a problem engine with 80% city driving...sounds about right to me. Most of these engines I hear idling have a real knock going on. Oil is a lot cheaper than a 5.4 engine replacement.

Reactions: GON
Back