Royal Purple 0W-40 - any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: clutchless
Found this unknown date oil test from Australia where they did a
Falex lubricity bearing test and Royal Purple had the least bearing wear. Mobil 1 0w-40 did worse. How valid is this type of test as a reflection on actual engine protection?

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil Tests.pdf

These test are not for engine oil. Read the following fron Mobil tech.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Oil_Film_Strength.aspx

I think your article proved that RP has a superior product not a inferior product to Mobil 1.

All Mobil 1 did in this article is side step the answer and bad mouth the competitor for something that "can" happen..

I like both products Mobil 1 and RP, so don't take my comments as one sided..

Last edited:
Resurrecting this to add some extra info I received:

The values you requested are listed below. Please be aware, though, that HTHS is of limited utility if trying to compare between oils, and a high initial TBN (total base number, or neutralization number) doesn’t mean much since the mandatory switch to Ultra Low Sulfur diesel fuel. Virtually all diesel fuel sold for on and off-highway use in the US, Canada, and western Europe. High initial TBN was really only important for diesel applications, and with high sulfur fuel.

RP SAE 0W-40:
HTHS: 3.6
TBN: 9.5

Pluging this into A Harman's "shear resistance" formula, this oil looks rather mediocre. The shear resistance is about 0.755, compared to Redline 0w40's 0.770 and M1's 0.859. Even Liqui-Moly's Synthoil 0w40 is better at 0.795.

Additionally, I asked if the 0w40 contains Synerlec. Here's the response I got:

It does not. The only RP SAE street oil that still contains Synerlec is the 5W-40 (part #01540, quart bottle). The update to API SN and ILSAC GF-5 required compliance with chemistry restrictions that precluded the use of Synerlec and required a reduction in anti-wear additive. We did introduce a new line of performance street oils, though. Royal Purple HPS oils are an improvement of the older street synthetic oils, all containing a generous dose of Synerlec and high levels of anti-wear additive. Unfortunately, they will likely need to be special ordered through a local Napa, O’Reilly or CarQuest, or you can get them online at Jegs.com, Lucky7Trucks.com, PacePerformance.com, and SummitRacing.com.

Originally Posted By: dparm
required a reduction in anti-wear additive

This is the part that I just simply do not understand about new oils. Why in the world would you want to *reduce* anti-wear????

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

This is the part that I just simply do not understand about new oils. Why in the world would you want to *reduce* anti-wear????

Read it again. They reduced one of the anti-wear additives, but it doesn't mean they didn't add a different one (titanium, etc). The oil might have had a surplus of it and they just dialed it back.

Unless someone does a VOA on the "new" version and directly compares it to the old one, we won't know.

Not always the blenders choice if they wish their oils to met current API standards. ZDDP as you know was RP's big anti wear additive in Synerlac. Allowable ppm has been drastically reduced for API SM/SN over SL so for RP to make an oil to be certified it meant Synerlac had to go. It is supposed to protect the converters against zinc and phosphorous poisoning. Protect a $700-$1000 CC vs a $5000 +/- engine. Typical modern day [censored].

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

ZDDP as you know was RP's big anti wear additive in Synerlac. Allowable ppm has been drastically reduced for API SM/SN over SL so for RP to make an oil to be certified it meant Synerlac had to go. It is supposed to protect the converters against zinc and phosphorous poisoning.

Synerlec is a sulfur based ester and has nothing to do with ZDDP; they are two separate additives.

I suppose if you can still find some SM GF-4 RP 0W-40 that would be the preferred RP oil choice.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
I suppose if you can still find some SM GF-4 RP 0W-40 that would be the preferred RP oil choice.

That stuff still didn't have Synerlec (old 0w-40). I have a bottle in front of me right now. Perhaps that has something to do with the ACEA specifications it lists.

My thoughts? Use it, its a great oil. API SM version has Synerlec, and API SN version is available too.. Without Synerlec but MOST people that give RP a shot like how their engine feels and sounds (quiet, muffled) on it. M1 fanboys may not like it but it IS an OTC 0W-40 and if you can find it and you need a 40 or ypur engine likes a 40.. No shame! Use it.

I think the 0w40 is SM still. You'd probably need to find a bottle of SL to get Synerlec.

Ok I forgot SL is Synerlec, but the website seems to specify it comes in SN now.

They also indicate they are "unaware of how their oil is being sold at Walmart." Advance has it at same price, more grades.

I think the 0w40 is SM still. You'd probably need to find a bottle of SL to get Synerlec.

Dan, Royal Purple 0w40 SM does have Synerlec. I confirmed this with Royal Purple themselves and this is the oil I am currently running in my E-Class. So far I have ran Royal Purple 5w40, Red Line 0w40 and now Royal Purple 0w40 in this vehicle and I can without a doubt tell you that I prefer the Royal Purple 0w40. Red Line just bogs down my engine and my mpg's go to [censored]. I keep detailed record of mpg's and so far with RP 0w40 I am getting 23mpg's(boosted with Tufoil) and with Red Line I got 19.5 the most(also boosted with Tufoil)with the Red Line run in the summer and the RP now running from October to now.

I think to whom you spoke is mistaken. It was mentioned on their website that the 0w-40 does not have Synerlec. Additionally, 0w-40 has not had "Synerlec" printed on the bottle for as long as I can remember. Other grades (in the SL series) do. Also, see dparm's post above, dated 02/03/2012 at 8:48 a.m.

I got some clarification, Garak.

Synerlec is indeed a sulfurized ester. And no, it was never in the 0w40 "due to complications concerning the cold flow of a 0W-40."

Synerlec is indeed a sulfurized ester. And no, it was never in the 0w40 "due to complications concerning the cold flow of a 0W-40."

Thanks for the information. I always wondered why it was never in the 0w-40. I assumed it had something to do with the various ACEA specs it claims, which are a bit different, if I recall correctly, than those claimed by the 5w-40 grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back