Rotella T6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hessam
Originally Posted By: Snoman002

Unless your like some of us with cars that spec 87 you get better mpg's, a small bit more power, and get to run a 'cleaner' fuel to boot.

But, like said, money wasted.

How do you figure Premium gas is any cleaner, than regular gas? Isn't premium gas just some good old regular gas with some methanol or ethanol added to spike the octane level. How clean any gas is, would be more the result of where/how it was refined from crude oil, and how it was stored and transported until it reached your tank. Obviously different brands add their own detergents and add packs to gasoline, but to best of my knowledge 87 is just as clean as 93 or 94 octane gas.
Do ya suppose that EPA regulations are so twisted that the fuel sold in the largest amounts is the "dirtiest"? I don't think so.

I'm going to try a sum up and see how the old wife's tales advocates twist it around. If you have a vehicle with an engine DESIGNED to perform best on 93 octane, but which has a good knock sensor and timing adjustment system, it WILL run without knock on regular fuel. It will certainly lose some power and efficiency doing so but is not likely to suffer damage due to knock. If you have a vehicle with an engine which is designed for 87 octane and which has a good knock sensor and timing adjustment system....AND you have a bit of carbon build up, for example, which decreases the combustion chamber volume enough to RAISE the compression ratio slightly, AND if the knock and timing systems can compensate for that you may see a slight performance increase. Sure....93 will do it, but so might 89, or even 88.5. Anything more than than necessary to stop knocking is wasted money in my mind unless we toss in octane vs Big Macs and what detergent may or may not be in a particular grade to confuse the issue. Point to ponder...if you have had a cylinder head "milled" to deal with a warp caused by overheating, for example, and the shop takes off enough metal, unless you install a thicker head gasket you've RAISED your compression ratio slightly and MIGHT need a bit higher octane. ("Milling heads" used to be a popular "performance enhancement" trick.) If you have a good knock sensor and timing adjustment system, you'll probably never know it. Before electronic timing and knock sensors the old Sunoco multigrade "custom blending" pumps were useful, you could start at the top and work down until knock was heard, or start at the bottom and work up until it stopped. If you had done a mod, it was a good way to check it, two bucks worth at a time.

Don't tell ford.... Just poured some M1 0w-40 into my ecoboost and she purred like never before. Nice and quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back