Rotella T6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I've got a couple questions. It's been recommended to me by several people to run Rotella T6 in my EcoBoost F150. It says to use 5W-30, but seeing several UOA's with high fuel dilution & shearing, I'm leaning toward using the 5W-40 T6 oil. The people who recommended the T6 also have turbo, di gas engines. It was put to me that they protect turbo's, handle shearing, fuel dilution & wear protect better because the oil was formulated specifically for turbo diesel engines that generate a lot of fuel dilution. So what are you guys opinions on using Rotella 5W-40 T6 in an EcoBoost F150? Please don't quote me any "warranty will be voided" stuff, I know & understand that, just looking for opinions on using T6 in Turbo DI Gas engines.
Thanks

I would only use an oil weight specified for your engine.

I run Rotella T6 in my Cummins diesel. Last OCI was 18K. No fuel dilution as its a 1999 with no pollution stuff.

If your owners manual says 5W40, go for it.

T6 won't hurt anything and could help things for you.

Personally I'd run M1 0w-40 instead though in your application since it's a lighter and not too much more money.

Using an out of spec oil DOES NOT automatically void engine warranties. I wish people on this forum would stop making those claims.

Now to your question, I intend to use 0w-40 Castrol Edge starting with my next oil change on my Eco-Boost. This and 0w-40 M1 are probably the two best easily found TGDI oils available in the US. These would be my first choices. That said, Rotella T6 is a really good HDEO (this and Delo 400 LE) and one that I would have total confidence in its ability to protect a Eco-Boost engine.

You should of went with the 5.0L Coyote in your F150's
wink.gif
HAHA

In all seriousness, I think it would be a toss up between M1/Castrol 0W40 and T6.

Another possible option is M1 TDT although I don't have any experience with it and others may have more info on running that oil.

Thanks for the replies so far. I know the EcoBoost was originally spec'd to run on 5W-20 from Ford, but after seeing fuel dilution & how hard the engine was on shearing oil, they moved it up to a 5W-30. I've seen some UOA's from EcoBoost that were barely a 20W oil they had sheared so much, that's why I'm looking at the T6 5W-40.

One OCI won't hurt anything so I would not be afraid to test it to 50% OLM and get a sample for analysis. You'll both be able to see how it drives and also see how the oil performs. Maybe a UOA on the 30wt you are currently using, for comparison, wouldn't hurt either.

The engineers specified 5w30 because of the shearing. They knew it would go into a 5w20 range which is acceptable for the engine based on the uoas I've seen.

If they had specified 5w20 combined with these issues then you'd have a problem.

That being said I'd use a euro 0w30 with a higher HTHS before I jumped all the way to a HDEO 5w40. The HTHSV difference is dramatic.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The engineers specified 5w30 because of the shearing. They knew it would go into a 5w20 range which is acceptable for the engine based on the uoas I've seen.

If they had specified 5w20 combined with these issues then you'd have a problem.

That being said I'd use a euro 0w30 with a higher HTHS before I jumped all the way to a HDEO 5w40. The HTHSV difference is dramatic.

With what he said and what I was thinking. I would recommend German castrol 0w30 if you can find it and if they are still making it? From what I know it is a very sheer stable 30 and should work well with you twin turbo v6 f150

Rotella T5 10W-30 might be worth considering. A little heavier then most 30 weight PCMO's but lighter then T6 5W-40.

I'm thinking the HTHS Euro oil IS like 3.3 range, while the T6 is like 3.8 HTHS. Wouldn't I want a higher HTHS for better protection of things like turbo bearings, etc. I know the higher the HTHS, the better the protection properties, but also the worse the fuel economy. But I'm getting 6mpg better with my EcoBoost than I did with my old V8 F150, so I can take a little in that department & still be good.

Originally Posted By: Fasttimez

I'm thinking the HTHS Euro oil IS like 3.3 range, while the T6 is like 3.8 HTHS. Wouldn't I want a higher HTHS for better protection of things like turbo bearings, etc. I know the higher the HTHS, the better the protection properties, but also the worse the fuel economy. But I'm getting 6mpg better with my EcoBoost than I did with my old V8 F150, so I can take a little in that department & still be good.

German castrol 0w30 is approved by certain oem specs which requires it to have at least a 3.5 hths which is more than suitable for your ecoboost. I'm sure most 5w30's you can buy aren't a 3.5 or higher. So gc would be a great match IMO. Not too heavy but thicker than most other 30 weights and greatly shear resistant.

Last edited:
Also if you want to step up to a 40 weight I highly recommend Mobil 1 0w40 euro or castrol edge 0w40 euro. Mobil 1 has a hths of 3.8 but is a thin 40 weight. Castrol 0w40's hths isn't coming to my mind right now. But honestly IMO as I said above I think 0w30 German castrol would be the best match. It's within the 30 weight spec and has been proven to be a fantastic oil. If your set on a 40 weight if go with Mobil 1 or castrol 0w40 over rotella. Rotella is great and works in tons of applications, but I believe the others would work even better for your truck.

I was thinking the exact same thing about the Rotella T5 10w30. But other people's ideas about a 0w30 or Mobil 1 or Castrol 0w40 make sense too.

I thought Rotella was like 4.0-4.2 HTHSV, since the Volvo rating it carries is a greater than 3.9 HTHSV requirement. Not 100% sure though it's been awhile since I checked.

I'm running Castrol Edge 0w-40 in my '11 F150 EB with no problems. I switched from PP 5w-30 to the Castrol when stories of fuel dilution and timing chain failures came to the forefront ( about a year after they came out). At 87k she's quiet, with zero consumption. Did switching from a 5w-30 to an A3 rated 0w-40 stave off any possible problems? Never know. But an A3/B3-4 oil that is spec'd for Euro cars which can run oil through the wringer, surely won't damage my Boost.

Don't go cheap. Run premium gas. That is the first step in battling fuel dilution.

I would choose M1 0w40 or Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w40 in the Ecoboost over RT6. I don't like RT6 in a turbocharged gasoline engine because of its high dose of Magnesium detergent.
Or if you really want to get fancy, AMSoil HDD or Redline 5w30. They are 5w30's that are at the upper end of the 30 range, and will not shear to a 20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Fasttimez
Thanks for the replies so far. I know the EcoBoost was originally spec'd to run on 5W-20 from Ford, but after seeing fuel dilution & how hard the engine was on shearing oil, they moved it up to a 5W-30.

Got a source for that? Has been a debate in the past with those of us with early Ecoboosts in the car/SUV applications. The cap says 5w20, the new ones after 2011 say 5w30 and everyone has been mum on it.

Mine has been fed a steady diet of 5w20 and at 89k it still runs like a scalded cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back