Rotella T6

Status
Not open for further replies.
[/quote] "A fool and his money". [/quote]
I have a 36 gallon tank, fill up about once a month, sometimes twice. It doesn't break my wallet to spend once a month what equals 2 combo meals at McDonalds. I'd rather spend my money on something that "MAY" benefit my vehicle vs on something that will make me fat, diabetic & dead before I'm 65. Just replace going out to eat once a month for that tank of 93....

Originally Posted By: Fasttimez
[/quote] "A fool and his money".

I have a 36 gallon tank, fill up about once a month, sometimes twice. It doesn't break my wallet to spend once a month what equals 2 combo meals at McDonalds. I'd rather spend my money on something that "MAY" benefit my vehicle vs on something that will make me fat, diabetic & dead before I'm 65. Just replace going out to eat once a month for that tank of 93.... [/quote]

Unless your like some of us with cars that spec 87 you get better mpg's, a small bit more power, and get to run a 'cleaner' fuel to boot.

But, like said, money wasted.

My manual says the same exact thing too. But the car is meant and specd to run on 93. I ran across a lady with a brand new Altima 3.5 and she was very worries her car was running so bad. I asked, " what gas have you been running? " Regular she says. Well, that explains it I told her. I said you really should run 93. I hope it got her car right again. If a car is specified to run on 87... Let er rip tater chip
smile.gif

But is does matter if your car is specified for 93. The part where it says you can run 87 but a "drop in performance may occur" is not a green light to run it regularly. It should only be done when there is no other option available. Thats what that really means.
Extrapolation sometimes = wrong application.

Originally Posted By: Garak

In a car that wasn't designed to run premium, that would almost certainly be true. But, if a car is specified to run premium, and you choose to run regular, you are almost certainly to get poorer mileage.

Garak when you say "designed to run premium" you're just talking about an engine that was designed to run with a higher compression ratio (12:1 or higher) as opposed to more common 10:1 ratio. Is there other ways in which an engine can be designed to benefit from higher octane gas aside from that?

There's a good article below by an MIT professor on the differences between grades of gasoline... he points out that all grades of gasoline provide the same amount of thermal energy:

http://engineering.mit.edu/ask/what’s-difference-between-premium-grade-and-regular-gasoline

Originally Posted By: Snoman002

Unless your like some of us with cars that spec 87 you get better mpg's, a small bit more power, and get to run a 'cleaner' fuel to boot.

How do you figure Premium gas is any cleaner, than regular gas? Isn't premium gas just some good old regular gas with some methanol or ethanol added to spike the octane level. How clean any gas is, would be more the result of where/how it was refined from crude oil, and how it was stored and transported until it reached your tank. Obviously different brands add their own detergents and add packs to gasoline, but to best of my knowledge 87 is just as clean as 93 or 94 octane gas.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
My manual says the same exact thing too. But the car is meant and specd to run on 93. I ran across a lady with a brand new Altima 3.5 and she was very worries her car was running so bad. I asked, " what gas have you been running? " Regular she says. Well, that explains it I told her. I said you really should run 93. I hope it got her car right again. If a car is specified to run on 87... Let er rip tater chip
smile.gif

But is does matter if your car is specified for 93. The part where it says you can run 87 but a "drop in performance may occur" is not a green light to run it regularly. It should only be done when there is no other option available. Thats what that really means.
Extrapolation sometimes = wrong application.

Not sure if you response was directed towards my poorly worded comment.

My car is speced to run 87, says so in the owners manual and makes no mention of premium. It isn't a run 93, but you can use 87 specification. But running 93 gives me a mpg increase. I have observed this on multiple occasions, with same fuel station used. I also noticed this on a 2000 mile highway run, premium on the way out, regular on the way back (1000 each way). This was conducted over 4 days, all highway, little to no overall elevation change. This also falls inline with reports of other g8 owners whom discuss this regularly.

Originally Posted By: Hessam

How do you figure Premium gas is any cleaner, than regular gas? Isn't premium gas just some good old regular gas with some methanol or ethanol added to spike the octane level. How clean any gas is, would be more the result of where/how it was refined from crude oil, and how it was stored and transported until it reached your tank. Obviously different brands add their own detergents and add packs to gasoline, but to best of my knowledge 87 is just as clean as 93 or 94 octane gas.

Shell does not spec 87 as a 'top tier' fuel, only premium.

Actually, up here gasoline from Shell and Esso if you buy their premium (91) has no alcohol in it, whilst the lower grades have up to 10% ethanol.

They also state that they have more cleaners in the higher grades of fuel.

Well then they are at odds with top tier rules:

2. Is TT only for my premium gasoline?

No. TOP TIER fuel marketers use the same detergency treat rate for all octane grades of gasoline sold at their stations.

http://www.toptiergas.com/faqs.html

Nah man.. Your good
smile.gif

I don't or didn't mean to seem to be non friendly either.
Again, a car specd for 87 ... Is good to go obviously.. Though I would run a top tier gasoline in it too. I partial to Shell myself, but Exxon, Valero, and gas sold at Costco or Sam's club is top tier too.
True indeed Benito... Good call
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Benito

No. TOP TIER fuel marketers use the same detergency treat rate for all octane grades of gasoline sold at their stations.

Agreed.

Though I found points 12, 13 and 14 interesting as they address treat rates above and beyond the TT levels.

Good find... Interesting that Sunoco, which makes the highest octane gas here (and is the official fuel of NASCAR) isn't even on the Top Tier Gas list.

Garak when you say "designed to run premium" you're just talking about an engine that was designed to run with a higher compression ratio (12:1 or higher) as opposed to more common 10:1 ratio. Is there other ways in which an engine can be designed to benefit from higher octane gas aside from that?

Usually, engines that call for premium have higher compression ratios or forced induction, which amounts to the same thing, and generally advanced timing is another issue. Those engines would benefit from running premium if that were called for, both for fuel economy and performance. Some, as has already been mentioned, allow for lower grades to be used, albeit at reduced performance and economy. You take an older performance engine and run too low of an octane rating, it'll be trouble.
wink.gif
Most modern vehicles will compensate at least to a degree. Something from the carb days, though, I wouldn't chance it.

I'm aware of the similarities in gasoline energy. Aside from what you and I listed, I'm not sure what other engines would require (or get a benefit from) a higher octane off the top of my head. Some older engines that are worked a bit hard might ping, so that's a situation to consider, but not necessarily a design to benefit from higher octane.

That is confusing, but I would suggest an alternate meaning. The rule is that if a gas station is Top Tier, all its gasoline is to be Top Tier. They can't have the three regular grades plus one extra cheap grade at the EPA minimums or worse.

Testing done on gas has shown that there are different levels of detergency between grades at Top Tier stations, and some have a higher variation than others. I would assume they would all fall within the Top Tier minimums.

I've heard that as well. The question is whether that is due to batch variations and if so, whether there is an allowed tolerance in the treat rate.

Another top tier requirement is that all stations in a brand supply top tier fuel. That's also interesting in terms of compliance because many gas stations are privately owned and people often report generic tanks turning up at gas stations. From what I understand, with the exception of Costco, additives are blended at the fuel depot when the tankers are filled.

Some of the differences were fairly significant, so it would be hard to call it batch variation, assuming that the testing wasn't ridiculously inaccurate. Here, too, one can see private fuel stations under a big name and fills from different trucks. But, the oil companies up here (like most other places, I'm sure) audit very carefully how much fuel is sold to the station versus how much the station sells, and that it is, indeed, all the correct octane level and with the correct additive packages.

The oil companies here dictate the price at which branded fuel stations sell fuel, so enforcing everything else is a walk in the park.

Who knows here whether these businesses do what they are supposed to especially when it comes to making $ and the customer has no way of finding out.

Even more reason to get my gas from Costco.

I thought OP's original issue in regard to RT6 in Ecoboost was settled. Consensus BITOG opinion was that OP should be using a Euro Spec oil such as M1 0W-40, or GC in his eco-boost, instead of RT6.

The tangent on different gas grades got started when the issue of fuel dilution was raised, and OP said he only used premium 93 octane.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Well, this thread USED to be about the use of T6 in an Ecoboost...

LOL!

Yea, with a
mad.gif
face for the post headline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back