Rotella T6 vs M1 0w40 for OPE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay folks, here is the latest rendition of the "help me consolidate my stash" threads. Ideally this means choosing an oil that the OPE and 2001 Volvo would all be happy with. At present most of the OPE is running with either M1 5w30 HM or Rotella T6 5w40. The Volvo is running with M1 0w40 now, but ran with M1 5w30 HM for several years and could go back there.

That said, this is a 3 vs. 2 vs. 1 stash question. Any of these oils will do the job. The Xw40s seem like the obvious choice, but there isn't much mention of M1 0w40 for use in OPE on this forum. Beyond that, I am not all that comfortable putting T6 in the Volvo.

Originally Posted By: Astro_Guy
Any problems with M1 0w40 for OPE? I don't see much mention of that here on BITOG.
Decent oil for OPE. If Rotella T6 and M1 0w40 were sold for the same price, I would choose Rotella T6.

Okay folks, here is the latest rendition of the "help me consolidate my stash" threads. Ideally this means choosing an oil that the OPE and 2001 Volvo would all be happy with. At present most of the OPE is running with either M1 5w30 HM or Rotella T6 5w40. The Volvo is running with M1 0w40 now, but ran with M1 5w30 HM for several years and could go back there.

That said, this is a 3 vs. 2 vs. 1 stash question. Any of these oils will do the job. The Xw40s seem like the obvious choice, but there isn't much mention of M1 0w40 for use in OPE on this forum. Beyond that, I am not all that comfortable putting T6 in the Volvo.
Why would you be comfortable with M1 0w40, but not T6 in your Volvo? Neither of those are the recommended viscosity, so if one would work, the other will work also.

Originally Posted By: NH73
If Rotella T6 and M1 0w40 were sold for the same price, I would choose Rotella T6.

Rotella T6 is $0.25/quart more where I live when purchased in gallon jugs vs. the 5 Qt. M1 Jug. That price difference is really irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Why would you be comfortable with M1 0w40, but not T6 in your Volvo? Neither of those are the recommended viscosity, so if one would work, the other will work also.

It's all about the Phosphorus and the potential impact on the cat. I'm already on the second cat and can still remember how much it cost to replace the first one.

If Rotella T6 and M1 0w40 were sold for the same price, I would choose Rotella T6.

Rotella T6 is $0.25/quart more where I live when purchased in gallon jugs vs. the 5 Qt. M1 Jug. That price difference is really irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

It's all about the Phosphorus and the potential impact on the cat. I'm already on the second cat and can still remember how much it cost to replace the first one.

If you look at the Mobil 1 spec sheet, the 0w40 has higher phosphorus and zinc levels than there 20 and 30 weight oils. But could be a tad bit lower than T6. If your concerned about higher phosphorus levels, than you need to stick to either the M1 or M1 HM 5w30.

Last edited:

I would run T6 in the Volvo and not blink-an-eye.

I had some Mobil 1 0-40 left over and used it in my 2 big mowers. One is a Kawasaki twin cyl and the other a big 1 cyl B&S. Both seem to run smoother and quieter. Yesterday was in the 80's and I checked the oil temp in the filter with an infra red thermometer. Oil temp in the Kaw. was 240's and 250's. Don't know if that is good/bad but I too am curious as to using the 0-40 in OPE. Anybody else??

Originally Posted By: loneryder
I had some Mobil 1 0-40 left over and used it in my 2 big mowers. One is a Kawasaki twin cyl and the other a big 1 cyl B&S. Both seem to run smoother and quieter. Yesterday was in the 80's and I checked the oil temp in the filter with an infra red thermometer. Oil temp in the Kaw. was 240's and 250's. Don't know if that is good/bad but I too am curious as to using the 0-40 in OPE. Anybody else??

Sure I use it all the time in some of my OPE since my BMW uses 8 quarts and two containers equal ten. How could it be bad to do so?

I just returned from Wally World and had a chance to inspect the New Rotella T6 packaging. There are no longer any gasoline ratings on the package, only diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back