Rotella T6 turned into jelly

Of course not - no engine oil on the market turns itself into a blob of Permatex.
Not even peanut or canola oil.

You need some sort of catalyst for this, and yeah - antifreeze will do the trick.
Except it wasn't antifreeze, that just makes a mud soup. It was Biodiesel polymerization of the engine oil.

It definitely looks like someone sabotaged your engine oil...

It looks like someone purposely contaminated your engine oil..
Like someone put something in your engine wanting to ruin it...

Because there is absolutely no reason in the world a Shell Rotella product would do that to an engine..
Looks like someone dumped a pound of sugar in your engine

Does anyone know what adding DPF fluid to oil will do to the oil?
Can the back pressure from a plugged/bad DPF filter cause DPF fluid to be forced back into the engine?

Does anyone know what adding DPF fluid to oil will do to the oil?
Can the back pressure from a plugged/bad DPF filter cause DPF fluid to be forced back into the engine?

DPF doesn't have fluid. Maybe you're talking about ADblue aka DEF?. The DEF gets added post turbo so pretty hard to get back into the sump from there.

Sure looks like someone put a foreign substance in there. I've had Max 7's with porous blocks, low compression and frequent regen issues have sloppy goopy oil, but never solid like that. It seems to have separated from the actual engine oil and solidified.

It definitely looks like someone sabotaged your engine oil...

It looks like someone purposely contaminated your engine oil..
Like someone put something in your engine wanting to ruin it...

Because there is absolutely no reason in the world a Shell Rotella product would do that to an engine..
Looks like someone dumped a pound of sugar in your engine
Wonder how many of our retired or current mechanics, ASE certified or even our DIY home auto guys have ever seen this type of mess? I will guess almost never. I have seen (milkshake looking) contamination a couple times with blown head gaskets in some of Chevy's "drive em till they blow, then throw away" early disasterous 4 cylinders , yet nothing near that nightmare.

I have no idea what that glob is.
I’ve owned two VW diesel cars, both common rail and would never think of using anything but 507 spec oil specifically for the DPF

Wonder how many of our retired or current mechanics, ASE certified or even our DIY home auto guys have ever seen this type of mess? I will guess almost never. I have seen (milkshake looking) contamination a couple times with blown head gaskets in some of Chevy's "drive em till they blow, then throw away" early disasterous 4 cylinders , yet nothing near that nightmare.

I had someone come to the dealership to ask what could cause this, they had a (fairly new) farm tractor where this happened. I can't recall 100% what oil they used but Shell seems what my mind goes to.

Most of the time yes. But I've seen some engines where it's right after the turbo.
Can you point me to an engine? I'd like to see this because from what I understand occasionally an additional injector port for diesel fuel will be behind the turbo in order to help light off the DPF. The SCR is always downstream of the DPF and it's the SCR which needs the urea mist to finish scrubbing the exhaust of NOx

I had someone come to the dealership to ask what could cause this, they had a (fairly new) farm tractor where this happened. I can't recall 100% what oil they used but Shell seems what my mind goes to.
I have zero experience with diesels. Never owned one. Had a friend who got tired of being a diesel mechanic and started to sell them instead. He then wound up in a suit and tie behind a big desk selling cars and became one of the top salesman for GMC in the area. Just retired 2 years back a very wealthy ex wrench puller!

Last edited:
Can you point me to an engine? I'd like to see this because from what I understand occasionally an additional injector port for diesel fuel will be behind the turbo in order to help light off the DPF. The SCR is always downstream of the DPF and it's the SCR which needs the urea mist to finish scrubbing the exhaust of NOx

Evobus citaro with MB engines had it right after the turbo. cleaned many a nozzle there. OM906hLA was the engine, but I can't find a pic of one with the downpipe and nozzle on it

Last edited:
Evobus citaro with MB engines had it right after the turbo. cleaned many a nozzle there. OM906hLA was the engine, but I can't find a pic of one with the downpipe and nozzle on it
I think I found it HERE
I'm surprised DEF can survive the trip through the DPF. I wonder how effective it was compared to updated units since the OM906 was a late 1990's design

Their newer stuff is interesting. Look at the a combined DPF/SCR in this video. Makes sense from a packaging standpoint on buses.

Last edited:
Back