Rotella Gas Truck Oil for "Truck-only" - am I crazy?

What if it's a Ranchero ?

download (2).jpeg

It's the same with Valvoline Modern whatever oil. "My car is older than 2012. I can't use this stuff in it?"
Right - and those two plus M1 AP & T/SUV all wound up in my stash - all great oil - marketing confused the customer
(not hard to do)
Then there is the seller
Well, saw a kid at Walmart trying to get a guy to dump PP because it was 3 months old.
Just could not stay out of that - Ram owner happy - Walmart kid mad

Gave a jug of Shell Rotella Gas Truck Oil to a friend and he said "various mechanics" (plural) refuse to use that oil since the oil is ONLY for trucks. I sent him various Shell posted info (including in BITOG posts) but don't believe it. I would understand if this was ONE mechanic but multiple mechanics? I understand the "failed" marketing ploy by Shell (e.g., "Gas Truck" label) but I have been using this oil in my Subaru and Acura without any issues. Am I the crazy one?? :)
That is just stupid or a joke.

Right - and those two plus M1 AP & T/SUV all wound up in my stash - all great oil - marketing confused the customer
(not hard to do)
Then there is the seller
Well, saw a kid at Walmart trying to get a guy to dump PP because it was 3 months old.
Just could not stay out of that - Ram owner happy - Walmart kid mad
Hahaha..I am throwing away all my CDs because they are old....probably expired

In France, many (identical) oils are sold under "gas" or "diesel" labels, causing a lot of drama...and taking a lot of shelves' space.

Oil people are a minority :D

Genuinely curious…did people actually use these vehicles more like a truck or a regular old car?
Probably both. We had a locally owned parts store back in the 70's that used them for parts delivery, they were either 68's or 69's. I had a buddy that had a 66 and it was pristine, not one dent or scratch in the bed on that one.

So just tell these "mechanics" that your car identifies as a truck, so it is OK to use it,

As mentioned, how does oil know that it is being used in the correct "truck" 4.6 Ford modular, and not a "car" 4.6 modular (yes, I know there are a few differences, but not enough to make a difference)?

Gave a jug of Shell Rotella Gas Truck Oil to a friend and he said "various mechanics" (plural) refuse to use that oil since the oil is ONLY for trucks. I sent him various Shell posted info (including in BITOG posts) but don't believe it. I would understand if this was ONE mechanic but multiple mechanics? I understand the "failed" marketing ploy by Shell (e.g., "Gas Truck" label) but I have been using this oil in my Subaru and Acura without any issues. Am I the crazy one?? :)
I think in all seriousness, these guys are professionals. They should know about oil certification and what is specified for a vehicle . Tell them if they refuse to put the gas truck in, tell them that you will file a complaint on their ASE certification and make Google reviews. We got to do something to get these guys to learn.

I think in all seriousness, these guys are professionals. They should know about oil certification and what is specified for a vehicle . Tell them if they refuse to put the gas truck in, tell them that you will file a complaint on their ASE certification and make Google reviews. We got to do something to get these guys to learn.
A great point. One of the key reasons I DIY is because of those ignorant ASE mechanics who doesn't spent extra 5 seconds to check the torque (especially after removing or installing wheels) before tightening the drain plug. Couldn't get them loose twice in the past, and another on my friends car which we trued to change oil at.my house...couldnt get it loose,.he took his car to work, put it on a ramp, welded a iron bar to his drain plug to loosen it.

I once put some truck oil in my '69 Chevelle.

I woke up the next morning and it was a El Camino.

Tread carefully OP.
I am on my way to buy an old, yellow VW bug. Will not only fill the engine with the truck oil but also soak the entire car in the oil...expect Bumblebee, a transformer, to rise out of the pool of oil...

Back