rotating tires on 4 x 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it is time for my tires to be rotated on my SUV again. thinking I might do it myself this time but I only have one floor jack. I do have 2 jack stands but have never used them to support the whole weight. the problem I see is crisscrossing the front tires to the back, if I was not doing that I would just do one side at a time. let me hear your method of rotating tires on your 4x4.tired of taking it somewhere to have this done when I know I can do it myself. would be the perfect time for me to clean the insides of the wheels also. thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:
Take the floor jack, life the whole rear end with it and put the jack stands on the rear.

Take the floor jack and do the left front, take the left rear and place on the front. If you want to cross rotate then the old left goes to the right side.

Repeat on the right front.

Easy as pie.

Bill

Originally Posted By: matrass
the problem I see is crisscrossing the front tires to the back

Between wheel swaps, mount the spare wheel.

Sounds like a good plan. figured somebody here would make the task simple and quick to do. thank you for your idea.

I prefer to jack the front up first (using two jacks) and resting them on stands, then using the two jacks to lift the rear and put two stands in as a safety measure (in case one of the jacks fail for whatever reason).

I rotate mine every 6,250 miles. At one interval, it's the traditional back to front, and cross rotation (X) at the next.

I would recommend a bucket of water with four times the recommended dose of auto shampoo (or dish washing detergent, which is safe for wheels) to clean off the brake dust from the insides. Give the (cool) wheels a good rinse with water first, then clean off the brake dust by dipping a soft brush into the said solution and brushing it in. You might find it easier to remove if you spray a bit of Simple Green first. Do not use any "wheel cleaner" or anything of the sort, I've learned from first hand experience how damaging they can be!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back