Recommendations needed: Looking for jack stands for DIY tire rotations

Bad idea. You're gonna get tired of that stuff. Buy your tires with a free tire rotation policy......... save your time, money, and, most of all, your back. .02
How does that save time? Have to drive to the shop that installed, sit for an hour or whatever. As opposed to doing at home, where one can check the pads, suspension, etc while in there. Which can take more time, sure, but it could be time well spent. or just bang out the rotation.

When its not freezing cold in my garage a rotation is quick. Plus I do mine during oil change time.

How does that save time? Have to drive to the shop that installed, sit for an hour or whatever. As opposed to doing at home, where one can check the pads, suspension, etc while in there. Which can take more time, sure, but it could be time well spent. or just bang out the rotation.

When its not freezing cold in my garage a rotation is quick. Plus I do mine during oil change time.
"Face it: I'm older, and have more insurance." Can you name the movie?

Bad idea. You're gonna get tired of that stuff. Buy your tires with a free tire rotation policy......... save your time, money, and, most of all, your back. .02
I would rather do it myself with a torque-wrench, instead of having someone who does not care about my vehicle hammer away with an air powered impact that way over-torques the lugs, resulting in premature wearing out of studs, nuts, broken lugs, tires that can not be removed if you have a flat, and posible warped rotors.

Also, replacing a broken or stripped stud on some vehicles is a royal pita job if you do it your self, or expexsive if a mechanic does it.

"Face it: I'm older, and have more insurance." Can you name the movie?
Fried Green Tomatoes. Vaguely remember it, Kathy Bates, caught it when it came out. Recall liking it, but haven’t seen it in years.

Reactions: FZ1
An S model may not have come with a Jack and Spare. They did offer a kit and people have also gotten them from pull a part as well.

You really don't need jack stands, just grab a spare and do 5 quick tire changes, you need a spare and a quality jack should do you. (and the lug tools of course)

Trying to get the whole car in the air is a waste of time and much less safe...

Even tire rotations are a great way to have your wheels tore up. Ask me how I know. I avoid going to shops whenever possible.

Reactions: FZ1
An S model may not have come with a Jack and Spare. They did offer a kit and people have also gotten them from pull a part as well.

You really don't need jack stands, just grab a spare and do 5 quick tire changes, you need a spare and a quality jack should do you. (and the lug tools of course)

Trying to get the whole car in the air is a waste of time and much less safe...
Correct. The S gives you a tire repair kit in place of a spare.

I now understand 4 jacks are not needed, thank you to all for the info.

Going to research a good floor jack and a set of jack stands.

I would rather do it myself with a torque-wrench, instead of having someone who does not care about my vehicle hammer away with an air powered impact that way over-torques the lugs, resulting in premature wearing out of studs, nuts, broken lugs, tires that can not be removed if you have a flat, and posible warped rotors.

Also, replacing a broken or stripped stud on some vehicles is a royal pita job if you do it your self, or expexsive if a mechanic does it.
As I alluded in my post above, I'm older than most and I have better, funner, safer, things to do. I will let the tire seller rotate and record my rotations, for free, so I can get a pro rate adjustment when my tires wear out prior to the tire warranty expiration. If I want to check the torque when I get home, I'll use my own SKS torque wrench. Last few times at DT, they were using manual torque wrenches. Different strokes, I've got bass to catch, down here. lol

Gets easier as you get older. DIY out of the question. Indy close to me has me in and out in 20 minutes for $20 for a criss cross. Downside is you’ve gotta be old, retired and able to get over there mid morning when he can handle a walk in with no appointment. Every cloud…

I bought my tires from DT, there are 2 within 5 miles of my house.
I usually go there between 2-3 PM, in and out within 30 minutes including the service write-up.
They only do tires.

I don’t buy tires from the same shop that often, usually I shop around a bit. Last couple times was across town from work, sneak out to have installed--work is an hour from home, not going in on a Saturday just for a rotation. Few times I used a shop around the halfway mark, again time out of my day. No dedicated tire shops near, but plenty of garages sell tires, 15 minute drive of course, and no idea if rotations are included.

I also remove tires at the 4/32 point, so its not like I can take advantage of any tire warranty. Road hazard maybe, but I only needed that once out of like 20 sets, and only had two flats to deal with.

1 floor jack, the spare, a block of wood and a torque wrench will do you on a Jetta.
Start with one of the front, take the existing wheel off, put the spare on, then move that front wheel to the back on the same side, take the back to the other front, take that front to the rear and finally that rear back to the front where the spare is... put the spare back up.
This is the way. Or just front to back with directional tires. I suggest using the car's scissor jack if it has one. It's a great way to get to know your car in case you have to change a tire out in the world somewhere.

OP, if you think you'll be getting under there to do oil changes, or don't have a spare, I suggest "massive overkill" jackstands. I have an F150 that weighs about 5,500 lbs and a Mazda CX-5 that weighs about 3,900 lbs. I use a pair of ESCO 5-ton jack stands when I want to get under the vehicle. They are on the pricey side but very sturdy and with a pin, not a ratchet. With an 11 to 17 inch range, they work for both vehicles.

If you want a floor jack, and can leave it on the garage floor, any steel 2 or 3 ton jack will work. I have the Harbor Freight 3-ton Super Duty which has a 3-year warranty. I thought twice about spending $350 total but I have a desk job and really enjoy working on my cars on weekends.

This equipment replaced a 20 year old, 1.5 ton floor jack and stand set that I lost confidence in and scrapped last year.

Good luck in your choices.

The DT is only 5 minutes from my house and I can make an appt. Takes about 45 minutes.

Last edited:
Back