DIY Tire Rotation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: miden851

Yeah I meant to say Nitrogen, LoL; anyway, it works better because the pressure is more stable in tires, so when you have oscillation in the air temperature outside, such as harsh winter or scorching heat; Thus they are not as affected as in ones inflated with air only;

I can attest to that because I use Nitrogen in one of my cars while just air in the other car

I am glad because I was starting to think all Hindenburgy here...THE HUMANITY!!!

I was also.
lol.gif

I used to get the tires from the local 37 location tire store. Lug nuts stripped out. Tire pressure never checked. Balance off after they balanced them. Rotations were free after buying tires but work was subpar much of the time.

I eliminated 99% of issues since rotating tires myself. Skipped balancing them. I used a torque wrench on the lug nuts.

The local gas station did a safety inspection on my last car and I could not removed the rear tire with my tools after they tightened it.

I did the Elantra with two floor jacks. I may have dealership do it and just re-torque lugs with my torque wrench.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
BMW no longer recommends you to rotate tires.

As long as you do not have awd, and your tirewear and alignment is normal, the benefits from rotating tires is rather minor. Especially the cross versus the occasional
front to rear.
There are actually some performance downsides to rotating, but you are trading for frugality and tire life
If your alignment is abnormaln rotating will just eat all your tires instead of only the one or pair of tires
The way to think about it is like grating carrots. If you rotate you are giving up tread contact and have worse performance every time you rotate. But in exchange you don't end up with a triangle carrot stub at the end and can get a few more grates in. but all your shavings will be shortened shavings rather than long shavings
Many would argue those last few grates are the worst part of the tire anyway.

Don't most BMW have larger tires/wheels in the back vs the front? So I can see why they wouldn't recommend it. Swapping side to side would be about pointless.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

Left over from the Hindenberg visit, I suppose. No call for it anymore, so they give you a good deal?

The Hindenburg used hydrogen instead of helium because the US was the only major source of the latter in the world at that time and refused to export it due to the fear that other countries would use it against us in military applications.
The US government then agreed to supply it to Germany after the loss of the Hindenburg, but the sale was again blocked after the annexation of Austria.
I also learned that there had been some talk of naming the zeppelin lost in NJ after Hitler, and Adolph was really happy that hadn't happened after the fire and crash.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66

As long as you do not have awd, and your tirewear and alignment is normal, the benefits from rotating tires is rather minor. Especially the cross versus the occasional
front to rear.
There are actually some performance downsides to rotating, but you are trading for frugality and tire life
If your alignment is abnormaln rotating will just eat all your tires instead of only the one or pair of tires
The way to think about it is like grating carrots. If you rotate you are giving up tread contact and have worse performance every time you rotate. But in exchange you don't end up with a triangle carrot stub at the end and can get a few more grates in. but all your shavings will be shortened shavings rather than long shavings

Don't most BMW have larger tires/wheels in the back vs the front? So I can see why they wouldn't recommend it. Swapping side to side would be about pointless.

Most have the same tire front and back. Only the racecars really have staggered tires. remmeber how many x series bmws are out there too. not everything is a m4.
In Germany bmws are the domestic car they have cheap economy models too.

You can google the bmw recommendation.

I explained the technical reason already, and germans if anything, are technical. They will tradeoff ease of use, longevity, etc to be more technical correct, which is the best kind of correct
https://youtu.be/hou0lU8WMgo

I dont think you can argue against the point that keeping the tire on the same corner gives it the best road contact after it beds in. The rotation is purely for lifespan and frugality.
If you choose to rotate for the extra lifespan that's fine because its your decision and a tradeoff, but just understand their point is also correct and what they say is technically true.

Last edited:
I purchase tires at Discount Tire, rotation and balance part of the purchase. I do it every ~6k miles to minimize any minor wear differences front and back. Also to keep the tire tread wear warranty in force as serviced by DT.

Fyi, DTs here will rotate tires FOC even if not purchased there. If one wants them balanced too, it costs extra. I've found that unless getting a vibration, balance unneeded. However, since part of DT tire purchase I'll get it done.

You're not right about the differing tire sizes front to rear. My GF's Lexus IS250 has it that way as does my coworker's Infiniti G37. It makes for ridiculously expensive rear tires. You won't see me buying something like that.

Belle Tire (if you have them in your area) rotates and balances my cars tires for free, even if the tires are still original equipment. They know I'll be back when they wear out.

front to rear.

Most have the same tire front and back. Only the racecars really have staggered tires. remmeber how many x series bmws are out there too. not everything is a m4.
In Germany bmws are the domestic car they have cheap economy models too.

You can google the bmw recommendation.

I explained the technical reason already, and germans if anything, are technical. They will tradeoff ease of use, longevity, etc to be more technical correct, which is the best kind of correct
https://youtu.be/hou0lU8WMgo

I dont think you can argue against the point that keeping the tire on the same corner gives it the best road contact after it beds in. The rotation is purely for lifespan and frugality.
If you choose to rotate for the extra lifespan that's fine because its your decision and a tradeoff, but just understand their point is also correct and what they say is technically true.

Pretty much all m3 and m5's have staggared tires.

https://tiresize.com/tires/BMW/M3/

https://tiresize.com/tires/BMW/M5/

BMW's stance on tire rotation existed long before they started putting staggered setups on their cars, and applies equally to "square" setups as well.

Yet, as a practical matter, it's a position many BMW owners and dealers ignore. It just has to be performed more often.

Many also reject the company's embrace of runflats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back