Rolling Stone : 100 Greatest Guitarists of All ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is lots to criticize on that list...lots left off that shouldn't have been.

I don't care what anyone says, EVH should be in the top 5 without question. Even if you don't like his style, he gets there for sheer speed, nothing else.

Interesting, most of the voters are guitarists themself. And most made the list.
56.gif
Nice to see Derek Trucks in the Top 20, and if it took him, Susan and Warren Haynes voting him up so be it. Would have been nice to see a few more studio whizes like Glen Campbell, Tommy Tedesco, Joe Messina, and Petey Carr get recognized.

Dimebag Darrell Abbot is #92?

**** Dale is #74?

The Reverend Horton Heat (Jim Heath) is absent?

This list is bunk.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

**** Dale is #74?

This list is bunk.

Speaking of Horton, I see that Brian Setzer is missing too.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: Spazdog

**** Dale is #74?

This list is bunk.

Speaking of Horton, I see that Brian Setzer is missing too.

I could've swore I saw Brian Setzer but further review shows him conspicuously absent as well.

Didn't see Kyle Gass either. Didn't expect to. But he would make my top 100 list.

But Dime is #92?!! The guy who was banned from guitar competitions because he was too good only rates #92?

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
No Joe Satriani
No Steve Vai
No Eric Johnson
No Paul Gilbert
No Uli Jon Roth
No Yngwie Malmstein

I am partial though.

Yes, and Kurt Cobain ranked higher than James Hetfield. And while Hammett is by FAR a better guitarist than Hetfield, both are a million times more talented in that realm than Cobain was.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Dang - I forgot Mick Ronson died. 1993, liver cancer. He had a sweet sound.
Agree , great stuff with MOTT THE HOOPLE and BOWIE .

" Would have been nice to see a few more studio whizes like Glen Campbell, Tommy Tedesco, Joe Messina, and Petey Carr get recognized. "

How about Waddy Wachtel for the list ?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
There is lots to criticize on that list...lots left off that shouldn't have been.

I don't care what anyone says, EVH should be in the top 5 without question. Even if you don't like his style, he gets there for sheer speed, nothing else.

I agree EVH should be in the top 5. Anyone seen his guuitar solos? Amazing! Most on this list wouldn't come close, the rest would struggle and give up. James Hetfield should be much higher. Noone plays like he does while singing what he sings...noone. Bonnie Rait are U chitting me? She made the list?

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
I would have liked to seen Frank Marino and Robin Trower on there as well.
+1 . Michael Schenker of U.F.O. gets a vote .

I am no guitar guy....but let me ask you experts a question.

If there was a top 200 list, would Ted Nugent be on it?

Just curious.

Originally Posted By: ridgerunner
Originally Posted By: addyguy

I agree EVH should be in the top 5. Anyone seen his guuitar solos? Amazing! Most on this list wouldn't come close, the rest would struggle and give up. James Hetfield should be much higher. Noone plays like he does while singing what he sings...noone. Bonnie Rait are U chitting me? She made the list?
Originally Posted By: Tim
I am no guitar guy....but let me ask you experts a question.

If there was a top 200 list, would Ted Nugent be on it?

Just curious.

Henry Rollins weighed in on that.

A relatively unknown new band called Van Halen opened for Nugent at one time.

Eddie Van Halen played Eruption and the only sound at the finish was 40,000 jaws dropping.

Eddie stepped back, looked at his hands, looked back up at the crowd as if he was saying, "Oh yeah, a genius was just standing there."

Later, The Nuge played Tight Spots which according to Henry, is the most homo-erotic song ever. The crowd left en-masse to buy Van Halen merchandise and returned to scream "VAN HALEN!!!!!!" while waving Van Halen shirts in the air.

Ted Nugent heard and saw them.

He screamed back at the crowd, "[expletive respectfully deleted] Van Halen."

The crowd gasped and burst into laughter at the Motor City Madman's expense.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
The should rename this list to The politically correct 100 greatest guitarists of all time.

You know I was thinking this. Rolling Stone? PC?? Known.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Page, Clapton, Satriani, Vai: heavily overrated.

Gotta disagree with you big time on your last two there! As a guitar player, I've always looked up to Satriani and Vai as a couple of the best! Not only can both of them play with all out raw speed, but they are true musicians as well, especially Vai! He can make sounds from a guitar that almost nobody else can do. One of my all time favorite songs is Steve Vai's For The Love Of God.

I'm too lazy to check the entire top 100 list, but I'm pretty sure that one of my favorite guitarists is not on it, since he never makes these lists. It's the guitarist for the band Extreme (best known for the song More Than Words) My all time favorite album is Extreme's Three Sides To Every Story, and a big reason for that is Nuno Bettencourt's guitar work on that album. Truly amazing!

I'll write something positive. It's an honor for Frusciante to make the list. #72? Whatever. He has a way.

I like the riffs in Scar Tissue. It's not flying fingers or anything it's just his soul comes out via his pedal work and fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back