BILLBOARD : 100 Greatest Car Songs Of All Time ...

I find the Beach Boys a little wimpy in this category. Need some good Deep Purple 💜 Born to Run makes those goody two shoes B Boys tunes sound like lullabies. You wanna run with the devil or hang around with Potsy?
It was definitely a sign of the times. The doo-wop era was coming to an end, and the Beach Boys took their influence from the Four Freshmen. Doo-woppy type vocals and harmonies set to beach, cars, and falling in love themes.

It was definitely a sign of the times. The doo-wop era was coming to an end, and the Beach Boys took their influence from the Four Freshmen. Doo-woppy type vocals and harmonies set to beach, cars, and falling in love themes.
Yeah I gotcha but if it's say past midnight and you're cruising down a nice blacktop with (in my dreams) a 70's hemi-cuda, I need something more than "Little Deuce Coupe" or "I get Around" to suit the machine at my disposal.

This was a great driving song by 'Golden Earring' that went to #1 in 1973 (when I was in High School.) They were Dutch.

PS: I agree on BTO..."Roll on down the Highway"....

Last edited:
Thinking of the 80s, Jerry Harrison (of Talking Heads) has a solo project called Casual Gods with this song:

I get that rap is controversial, but…….

Back